Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    Unfortunately, we will not be able to discuss the accuracy of your prediction on this board. By the time colleges & universities start eliminating football programs, USCHO Café will no longer exist because college hockey will not exist. Wrestling and hockey have higher rates of concussions per participant than football does and bring in waaaaaaaaaaay less $$$. Guess who will get the axe first?
    25 years ago when I was in Jr High a local sports writer came and talked to a class and made a pretty well thought out arguement that boxing would be banned in the next 10-20 years. While it is less popular than it was then, that's mostly because it has been replaced with even more violent MMA. We like our violence. Kneeling for the anthem has a better chance of ending football than concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      This assumes that the big concussive hits are what cause CTE, rather than the repeated lesser blows that football players (and especially linemen) receive every freaking play.

I bet within 10 years, the 3 point stance in football is eliminated and all players will have to start from a standing position.
      The hockey documentary "Ice Guardians" covers this very well. Just a big hit, a jarring of the body, actually causes more concussions than hits to the head. The doc is about the "enforcers" in hockey.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        The hockey documentary "Ice Guardians" covers this very well. Just a big hit, a jarring of the body, actually causes more concussions than hits to the head. The doc is about the "enforcers" in hockey.
        The director of BU's CTE Center Dr. Ann McKee said the same thing.

A conference attendee asked McKee whether helmets could be designed to prevent head injuries that could lead to CTE.

"This acceleration-deceleration rotational injury happens despite the helmet," McKee said. "It happens inside the skull. It's an intrinsic component of football. Every time you'll have a tackle or a collision, you're going to have these rapid forces that are affecting the brain."
        http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/11/09/...ton-university
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

The show makes the line markers look weird.

Army should have a player lie down on the show and then pop up out of nowhere.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

FSU ineligible for bowl.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ble/ar-BBH7F8t
            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
              The best part of this is some bored kid on Reddit clowned the entire NCAA and college football media.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Craig Bohl is becoming the new NFL QB pipeline. First Wentz at NDSU and Josh Allen looks pretty good himself at Wyoming.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

*finger up* Michigan State is the FAILINGEST bowl team in the history of FAIL! The Sucky Spartans haven't won since going to that irrelevant Rose Bowl in 2014 where they beat the Crappy Stanford Cardinals, but still LOST the National Championship to Flatulent Florida State! SAD!

Ahh, fck it. Wazzou is already "Couging it".

Go refs!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    *finger up* Michigan State is the FAILINGEST bowl team in the history of FAIL! The Sucky Spartans haven't won since going to that irrelevant Rose Bowl in 2014 where they beat the Crappy Stanford Cardinals, but still LOST the National Championship to Flatulent Florida State! SAD!

Ahh, fck it. Wazzou is already "Couging it".

Go refs!
                    We won the 2015 Cotton Bowl after the Rose Bowl. Then we lost the 2015 Cotton Bowl.

This game has gone smoother than Rutgers so far.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• So, the New Mexico State Aggies beat the Utah State Aggies for their first bowl win in 57 years.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Re Cotton Bowl. Interesting first half, very boring second half.

Other than hitting some really nice throws, I'm not sure why Sam Darnold even considers going pro. He's not quote that good, yet. And IMHO, his career would be ruined if a team that needed a QB next year. Just not ready, and he would get rocked badly. While he was able to move the ball pretty well against a tough D, he wasn't all that clutch when really in scoring position.

Comment

PAC-12 finishes bowl season 1-8 with Utah preventing the unwinfeated goal.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Big 10 usually gets pushed around in bowl season but 6-0 going into the WI-Miami game.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              1-7. The PAC-12 cannot be held responsible for Washington State’s shortcomings.

But yeah, it was bad.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Big 10 usually gets pushed around in bowl season but 6-0 going into the WI-Miami game.
                                So far, that game does not look good.

But even 6-2 (if Michigan looses) will be better than the Sec. who won their first game today.

Comment

Working...
                                X