X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.17 - Section 4 of Amendment 25

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I absolutely agree they have a right to speak their minds, they can go ahead. If they put any action to those words, they're getting punched in the face.
    And there is the big difference. If there is an action, the consequences change. I am on board with that. I won't defend action. I will just defend their right to speech.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There are some speech acts that are threats. But the issue is there are foreign domestic terrorist groups and a mechanism for dealing with them, but there is no analagous category and mechanism for domestic terrorist groups. Groups like the Klan and the Nazis are deserving of that category -- they mean what they say, and they are anti-democratic and in favor of the overthrow of republican government. There are certain speech acts which, in context, are assault.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I absolutely agree they have a right to speak their minds, they can go ahead. If they put any action to those words, they're getting punched in the face.
        Where does "action" cross the line, and does that line change depending on the offensive views of the actor?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          There are some speech acts that are threats. But the issue is there are foreign domestic terrorist groups and a mechanism, but there is no specific mechanism for domestic terrorist groups. Groups like the Klan and the Nazis are probably deserving of that category. There are certain speech acts which, in context, are assault.
          What do you mean by "speech acts," Kep?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            What do you mean by "speech acts," Kep?
            The difference between "I wish you would die" and "I'm going to come to your town and kill you."
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The difference between "I wish you would die" and "I'm going to come to your town and kill you."
              OK. Which would fit the legal definition of assault.

A different hypothetical. How about a group of muslims handing out flyers in Brooklyn advocating success of ISIS in killing U.S. soldiers in Syria? Should they be prohibited from doing it, physically opposed, allowed to continue exercising their speech?
              Last edited by burd; 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd
                Where does "action" cross the line, and does that line change depending on the offensive views of the actor?
                As I understand it, action includes performing harmful actions, or inciting harmful actions in a direct manner.

Simply chanting "We hate Jews" is protected, for example. Burning crosses, directly saying "I will harm [minority]" is not protected.

Recently a senator from MO was quoted as "I hope Trump is assassinated." Not a crime. It was not a direct threat to the president, nor did she say SHE was going to assassinate the president.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Advocate the belief that you are superior based on the color of your skin and that all other people should be subjugated based on that.

Basically anything that resembles "I am a white supremacist." It's a clean and simple line really.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Advocate the belief that you are superior based on the color of your skin and that all other people should be subjugated based on that.

Basically anything that resembles "I am a white supremacist." It's a clean and simple line really.
                    Nope. You can spout off that belief all you want. I don't agree with it, but you can say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Nope. You can spout off that belief all you want. I don't agree with it, but you can say it.
                      The mere expression of that thought is a threat. You can say it, but there will be consequences.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

It's not clean and simple at all, unless this is limited to skin color only and not gender, ethnicity, or religion, to name a few.

Comment

The mere expression of that thought is a threat. You can say it, but there will be consequences.
                          Yes, legally you can counter that thought/speech with non-violent actions. Consequences does not equal violence all the time.

Comment

The mere expression of that thought is not as much a threat as the notion that government could suppress it.

Comment

The mere expression of that thought is not as much a threat as the notion that government could suppress it.
                              Correct.

Comment

I'm not talking government suppressing it. I'm talking about people suppressing it.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X