This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    One of those things everybody knows must be true... so it's the kind of thing I tend to question.

2010 Census has the following US Demographics:

White- 63.7%

Black -12.2%

Hispanic/Latino - 16.3%

Asian - 4.7%

The National Center for Education Statistics has the following Demographic breakdown for 2014 students enrolled in college:

White- 58%

Black- 14%

Hispanic/Latino - 17%

Asian- 7%

So if that's correct, it seems like minorities are a little over represented and whites a little under.
    Are you accounting for student visas? Not everyone living here is a citizen.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.17 - Section 4 of Amendment 25

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      well how many kenyans do you think have crossed the ocean since barry?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Lol
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          By when? There is no endpoint, it just keeps changing, forever. The changes come from technology and historical events and, if you're a Hegelian (I'm not) from the gradual spooling out of History as a sort of organic creature.

The question you're asking doesn't really make sense. People aren't "going" anywhere. They're always trying to bring things into true with where they already are. Institutions and traditions (and statues) are literal reifications of culture, so they are always lagging indicators.

It's like somebody saying in 1915 "today society wants to give women the vote. How far will it go? Where will it end?" The answer is it will go where people want it to go: we are not forever stuck with the culture of the past, we do not live suffocated by skeletons and trapped in tombs. As for where it will end, it won't as long as we keep the species going. There is no end, there's just a perpetual evolution of culture in reaction to its circumstances, physical, intellectual, technological, etc.
          Okay, let's go with 10 years from now, where will we be? Enough time for changes to be made, but not enough time for a full generational swing.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            read where the indians (dot) and chinese did some actual fighting in their border skirmish... albeit with rocks and clubs, but there was still interaction between the two.
            Don't worry about it unless they let the nukes fly.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              And not everyone in our schools even lives in the US permanently and would not be counted among our population.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It's like somebody saying in 1915 "today society wants to give women the vote. How far will it go? Where will it end?"
                "Today it's the womenfolk, tomorrow it's 18 year-olds who don't know their a55 from a hole in the ground!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Okay, let's go with 10 years from now, where will we be? Enough time for changes to be made, but not enough time for a full generational swing.
                  Who cares? We aren't there and have no idea where we'll be in 10 years.

Hopefully the racists are gone and we don't need to continue dismantling their monuments of hatred.

Or maybe we'll have evolved a sense of deep embarrassment, took a howitzer to Mt. Rushmore, and returned it to the Native Americans.

Maybe we've started to pay reparations to blacks. Maybe we've all given in to the racists and erected a new 250 ft monument in DC to David Duke.

Who knows? But today we have an issue where a bunch of racists use monuments to traitors and racists of past as a way to cling to their dying breaths of an ideology.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I care, and the discussion is to get a sense of direction on where we are headed, where we are ending up, etc.

The racists will still be there, unfortunately, IMO. I think they are more blatant today than 10 years ago, when most of them were more subtle in their opinions. They feel almost empowered right now, no thanks to Trump.

By discussing this, maybe we can figure some stuff out and fix problems. *shrug* I hope, anyway.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

We know the direction we're heading. Dismantling the racist infrastructure. If that means taking down all of the monuments to our leaders pre-Civil War, so be it.

Your slippery slope argument is not a compelling one. Because in this case the end goal is far more important than monuments.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        We know the direction we're heading. Dismantling the racist infrastructure. If that means taking down all of the monuments to our leaders pre-Civil War, so be it.

Your slippery slope argument is not a compelling one. Because in this case the end goal is far more important than monuments.
                        Referring to the bolded/underlined, do you think that's where it will end up? Again, honest question. If it's ALL monuments, does that include things like Mt Rushmore, which you previously mentioned?

Comment

Obama's email saying that we are not born racists is inspiring and the right thing so say. But while we are not born racists, it appears we are born with genetic characteristics that make us more likely to have racist views. Our monkey brains still tend to react with caution, alarm, or fear to tribal strangers--surely an evolutionary characteristic. Recently discussed studies that show fear-response tendencies differ between conservatives and non conservatives in ways that correspond to differences in Amygdala function.

There is no excuse for racism or other forms of bigotry, and we each should be held accountable, but that is not to say we should ignore the science related to it. Like other forms of bias; if we understand the science of it, maybe we will become better at dealing with it.

As to any measures that take us a step back in free speech or assembly rights, they would have to be compelling and not just an emotional response to events like Charlottesville. As Mr. Justice Holmes said:

But when men have realized that time has upset many fighting faiths, they may come to believe even more than they believe the very foundations of their own conduct that the ultimate good desired is better reached by free trade in ideas -- that the best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market, and that truth is the only ground upon which their wishes safely can be carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            So since that's a fact, since Wisconsin is not even 3% African American, that's not a problem. Or just over 2% hispanic. No big deal.

That data is kind of misleading, as it is a sum of all schools, and many of the big schools are not even close to that. Kind of like how separate but equal is ok. When it isn't.

OK, but the data I see for UW Madison says 78.9% white. 4.7% Hispanic, 2.2% mixed race, 2.2% black. WI pop. is 86.7% white. So it doesn't appear to me that those under represented black kids seats are going to white kids. (At UMICH Asians are 12.8% of undergrads, 1.8% of the state?) U of Florida similarly has blacks and whites under represented, Latinos and Asians over.

I'm not advocating for anything, just saying it appears, at least on the surface, that it's not necessarily Whitey taking up all the African American seats. I read there are about 23 million college students, so in my original post it appears whites are under represented nationally by 5.7%, that's under by 1.3 million white kids nation wide. It could be that they do have an argument to make as well.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I care, and the discussion is to get a sense of direction on where we are headed, where we are ending up, etc.

The racists will still be there, unfortunately, IMO. I think they are more blatant today than 10 years ago, when most of them were more subtle in their opinions. They feel almost empowered right now, no thanks to Trump.

By discussing this, maybe we can figure some stuff out and fix problems. *shrug* I hope, anyway.
                              We've had "No Irish Allowed", the "Yellow Peril", Reconstruction, Know Nothings, KKK, Gentlemens' Agreements and Massive Resistance to name a few. Nothing has changed. Just the targets.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                OK, but the data I see for UW Madison says 78.9% white. 4.7% Hispanic, 2.2% mixed race, 2.2% black. WI pop. is 86.7% white. So it doesn't appear to me that those under represented black kids seats are going to white kids. (At UMICH Asians are 12.8% of undergrads, 1.8% of the state?) U of Florida similarly has blacks and whites under represented, Latinos and Asians over.

I'm not advocating for anything, just saying it appears, at least on the surface, that it's not necessarily Whitey taking up all the African American seats. I read there are about 23 million college students, so in my original post it appears whites are under represented nationally by 5.7%, that's under by 1.3 million white kids nation wide. It could be that they do have an argument to make as well.
                                The other issue with your data that makes it appear equal is the result in the general society. Minorities still have a wage gap that significantly as a good increase is jobless rates.

Which points out that the separate but equal isn't, since it's not impacting jobs and wages as much as it should.

Comment

Working...
                                X