Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Is this going to turn out like the carrier fleet that was steaming towards NK at that very moment but was actually passing near Papua/New Guinea and pointed towards western Australia?
    The generals have given him an actual football and told him it's the nuclear football.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Also regarding gun control, Dems need to be clear about exactly what they want to do, because otherwise you leave yourself open to charges of taking people's guns and other such nonsense.

So, were I running the DNC or running for Prez or whatever, my proposal would be this: I'd have one gun law, and only one gun law, that I'd push for whatever term I'd be running for. That 1 law would be to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people and people under surveillance for terrorism. Simple, concise, and for once you'd put NRA loons on the defensive when they opposed this.

How would this work? People under a terrorism watch would not be notified obviously, but law enforcement would obtain court order to suspend their right to own firearms and put them in the Brady bill database. Mentally ill people would not go through a court order but would be informed (or their guardian) that their doctor had flagged them also in the database. If they happen to be cured or get better at a later date, or if somebody under surveillance turns out to be harmless, they would get their access back.

I personally would like stricter gun control, but also realize Dems need to build up some credibility on this issue while playing offense against the gun lobby. "Why do you want guns in the hands of terrorists or people hearing voices" is a question that should be asked instead of "why do you done support da gubmit comin' into our homes and a takin' our gunz?"

Kep regarding economic liberalism its not a disagreement but more of a general problem in the country that to date has no solution. Most of us agree that the rich should in fact pay more taxes. We also agree that the revenue from said taxes should be transferred to people on the lower end of the income ladder in the form of increased health coverage and college tuition for example. So far so good and Dems should absolutely run on not universal single payer but expanded Medicaid and Medicare which recent events have proven are extremely popular even amongst righty voters.

However, all of this will not actually make a wide swath of the country, from Pennsylvania down to Georgia across to Arizona and up to Montana and back across the Great Lakes to western NY, prosperous. It'll allow people to tread water better which is certainly worthwhile, but while we're telling people they'd be worse off without us, not exactly a winning message, Republicans are telling the same people if you help us kick out all illegal immigrants you'll get your jobs back. Well, once resonates a lot more than the other.

I, nor Hillary, nor Bernie, nor Trump, nor anybody else has a solution to bring back 50's era living standards to the Rust Belt, the Prairies, rural New England, etc. I would hope these people realize they're being played for suckers, but my solution to their plight isn't a campaign friendly one - leave and move to where the jobs are!
    And then you re-define "mentally ill" to the point where you take everyone's guns. Forget it.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Unfortunately, given the current political and social climate, yes. However, nothing is set in concrete and I pray that one day attitudes will change.
    Within a few decades abortion will be 100% OBE for all but the Poors. Women will have simple, discrete, non-invasive, 100% effective pharmaceutical and other options and they will be in complete control, and that will be that. At that point it will of course be recriminalized, because in the US the one thing we do better than anyone else is criminalize poverty.

Abortion was a bridge solution. Better than having unwanted babies and better than making women slaves to their biology, but still a suboptimal solution if for no other reason than it was so easily exploited to anger and manipulate reactionaries.

And after you lose abortion, and your grandkids have accepted gays the way we accepted non-whites, the brief but lethal warping of democratic politics by religious extremism will be all but done. The American Al Qaeda is on its way out.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017 at 11:14 AM.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

How about unlimited guns and abortions? Is that a compromise that makes both sides happy?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And then you re-define "mentally ill" to the point where you take everyone's guns. Forget it.
    you obviously meet anyone's definition

How about unlimited guns and abortions? Is that a compromise that makes both sides happy?
    I've proposed this multiple times on here. Everyone wins in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...alation-241526

**** me...

Also, didn't this ******* say he wasn't going to reveal his plans?
    He says a lot of things. My kid is draftable age. I am not a happy camper. My Dad dodged the bullet for Korea. Don't want to try the family luck twice.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Heh. Girlfriend's dad was kind enough to explain to me that he owns 100 guns at the moment, and had just purchased five more earlier that week. Subtle.
    Ahhh, but was he cleaning the guns when you came to visit. My dad always thought that most effective.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    This is me, totally. I would refer to myself as an "independent" because I did not want to be labeled. I still don't consider myself a democrat though because I think that title should be confined to someone who is actually a member of their party. I now "label" myself as a progressive. I once went back and tried to remember my voting records and at one point in my 30s I voted about 2/3 D and about 1/3 R. A few of those votes were cast for republicans runnning unopposed, but eventually I stopped voting in general elections for people who were running unopposed. I will also say the last republican I voted for was in the 2000 Michigan presidential primary when I voted for McCain. I have not given a single republican a vote in the 21st century, and my guess is I never will again.

But I'm still not a democrat.
    I am fiscally conservative but socially liberal. On the tests I come out pretty close to center. No party does what I want.

Until we have a society that values life from conception through birth until a natural (even if unforeseen) death, pro-life people are too often some of the biggest hypocrites walking the face of the Earth. In fact the movement shamefully has referred itself as the "pro-LIFE" movement when it is basically nothing but a pro-BIRTH movement. Given their way, ALL support before and after the moment of birth would be done away with. Sheesh, they talk about the moment of conception being the important demarcation in time, when it is really the moment of birth.
    THIS!1!111!!!! The 'Christians' of the right are an abomination. NO bigger hypocrites exist

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Current Democratic Party positions reduce the number of abortions far more than current Republican positions. Facts are facts.
    Facts are against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It's so nice that Trump thinks it's all just a game of Risk.
    and don't you wonder if he knows where all the dice are?

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Within a few decades abortion will be 100% OBE for all but the Poors. Women will have simple, discrete, non-invasive, 100% effective pharmaceutical and other options and they will be in complete control, and that will be that. At that point it will of course be recriminalized, because in the US the one thing we do better than anyone else is criminalize poverty.

Abortion was a bridge solution. Better than having unwanted babies and better than making women slaves to their biology, but still a suboptimal solution if for no other reason than it was so easily exploited to anger and manipulate reactionaries.
    There is chemical abortion now. It has been available for years. They attempted to make it illegal and failed. Problem is you need to access it early enough, you need availability and to get it covered. All of those can be insurmountable barriers. De-funding clinics, etc is what works for the pro-birthers. It is very effective

I'd be for it. Good luck with the authoritarians on both "sides".

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

I seriously ask this but replace guns with the death penalty. Are pro-birthers willing to do away with the death penalty? Are pro-choicers ready to accept the death penalty? (and yes I know people opposed to capital punishment often do so on the grounds it is imposed with too much bias or too much incompetence on the part of law enforcement. These are the two reasons I am opposed to it. If it was fair and I trusted the average cop, the Jerry Sanduskys of the world would be getting beheaded)

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    One of the biggest subsidies in the tax code.

I prefer counting it all, everyone files single and gets $45,000 off the top as the standard exclusion. Pay a % (15 & 20%) on the rest.

Corporations use GAAP and have a $1 million exclusion and pay 15% on the excess.

The middle class pays a bit. LeBron pays a lot, Bill Gates pays more. Sears pays nothing.
    A far more important thing to do is count all income as equal. Which means that there's no tax change based on capitol gains. THAT is where the most change in absolute tax rate comes from- the richer you get, the higher proportions of long term capitol gains you get- which changes your rate from 33% to 15%. That has to stop.

Income is income, and there's no reason "unearned" income should be taxed less than earned income. I'm not saying it should be taxed more, too. Just that it should be treated equally.

If that change is made, and the top tax rate is dropped to 30% even, it would still make a MASSIVE different in a good way.

I seriously ask this but replace guns with the death penalty. Are pro-birthers willing to do away with the death penalty? Are pro-choicers ready to accept the death penalty? (and yes I know people opposed to capital punishment often do so on the grounds it is imposed with too much bias or too much incompetence on the part of law enforcement. These are the two reasons I am opposed to it. If it was fair and I trusted the average cop, the Jerry Sanduskys of the world would be getting beheaded)
    Death penalty isn't a right.

He's insane. Any plan kills 10 million innocent people in South Korea alone in the first week.
    I wouldnt worry...the last time he tried to get uppity with NK his ships went to the wrong Ocean
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    you obviously meet anyone's definition
    Thank you for proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Meanwhile you're running a huge deficit because you just lowered taxes on the LeBrons and Gateses of the world by 1/3rd.
    Except they are paying accountants and lawyers to avoid paying as much tax as possible by using every crook and nanny in the tax code. This puts everyone on the same footing.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Lets just say you'll be losing your 2nd amendment privileges and leave it at that.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    A 20-year gradual phase out would be good. An instantaneous change would cause the great recession 2: electric bugaboo.
    Seriously
    Anyone thought the underwater house exodus was scary, wait for this!

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    There is chemical abortion now. It has been available for years. They attempted to make it illegal and failed. Problem is you need to access it early enough, you need availability and to get it covered. All of those can be insurmountable barriers. De-funding clinics, etc is what works for the pro-birthers. It is very effective
    I'm not talking about chemical abortion. I'm talking about a simple way for women to control their fertility overall. Women with no self-esteem, ambition, or identity above professional incubators can go au natural; women with better things to do can pop a pill, take an injection, whatever and be brat-free until they want them. The loons will cry, and the loon leaders will swear as they watch the bottom drop out of the misogyny business, but as women become better represented the laws and the customs will follow.

There was once an enormous slavery culture. It was Biblically-ordained and endorsed. It must have looked unassailable and immortal. Today, other than Jeff Sessions' fever dreams, it's all gone. Likewise the entire cultural edifice enslaving women, infantalyzing them, demonizing them for their sexuality, and reducing them to plumbing, will someday be gone. The notion of old men making choices to control the lives of young women, ostensibly for their and the public good, will be looked on as a disgusting iron age vestige we finally eradicated, just like slavery.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm not talking about chemical abortion. I'm talking about a simple way for women to control their fertility overall..
    Seems simple to just take it in the poooopurr

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Seems simple to just take it in the poooopurr
    But that's how black babies are born dontchaknow?

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

He's insane. Any plan kills 10 million innocent people in South Korea alone in the first week.
    Any US action has to be in retaliation for a launch against the US. No 1st strike. Prof. Groeteschele must be locked out from the Situation Room.

Thread Information