Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

James Alex Fields looked nervous and listless on the small monitor in the corner of the courtroom. Mostly he kept his head down, his eyes darting occasionally up towards the camera.

He was wearing a striped jumpsuit and had the neat, buzzcut hairstyle favoured by many white supremacists and neo-nazis who have united under the banner of the so-called "alt-right".

Judge Robert Downer read his charges - one count of murder, one count of hit and run, three counts of malicious wounding.

Alex Fields spoke briefly to say he was employed by Securitas and Omni Ohio, could not afford a lawyer, and had no ties to Charlottesville. Judge Downer denied him bail, and revealed he could not be appointed a public defender because someone in the public defender's office was directly affected by the crime.

His appointed lawyer, Charles Webster, named in court by the judge, had yet to be contacted to inform him of his latest client.

In 10 minutes it was over. Outside the court, known white nationalist Matthew Heimbach was shouting that the death of Heather Heyer was the fault of the police.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40928769

May Matthew Heimback rot in hell.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Yeah but peace isnt going to stop what happened there either. It isnt like racism died in the South when MLK was peacefully marching and praying for unity or that Naziism died in Germany (or Europe in general) despite Germans denunciations and calls for peace and harmony.

Our job is to stop its spread...
      I agree. Regardless of what tone we take in political discussions with people we each engage with (I was talking about engaging with your average Trump voter), the actual terrorists need to be locked up. Every person, especially conservatives, need to be clear in condemning the nazis. We also shouldn't play identity politics by equating every gun owner or white man with them, identity politics just causes more problems.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40928769

May Matthew Heimback rot in hell.
        There was a double homicide in Boston a couple months ago and the guy had worked for Securitas or a similar company. That makes you feel really safe.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I am guessing the anti-protesters feel better about what they did than they would have had they stayed home or walked by and ignored it....even the ones injured. Despite what some of your ilk think these arent precious little snowflakes (that would be the ******* on the other side who cant take that Darky Gunna Some To mmm hmm!!) they were there to make sure the record was set straight...that these clowns can have their little torchlight parade but they wont silence those they hate.
          Honestly, that's one of the things that really bothers me about this event.

This didn't feel like a situation where you had the right wing mob start to attack some bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time, and another mob of people came together to protect the victim and fight back. This felt like an anti-Trump mob, a group angry, bitter and frustrated with an election nine months ago, spoiling for a fight, and as you noted in your post, now feeling a whole lot better about themselves for extracting their pound of flesh even at the cost of some poor girl's life.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

LOLOLOL one of the members of the Old Women's Club at the work lunchroom just said people who want to take the statues down don't know history, because confederate weren't fighting for slaves, they were fighting for "economic freedom."

You can't fix stupid.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Honestly, that's one of the things that really bothers me about this event.

This didn't feel like a situation where you had the right wing mob start to attack some bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time, and another mob of people came together to protect the victim and fight back. This felt like an anti-Trump mob, a group angry, bitter and frustrated with an election nine months ago, spoiling for a fight, and as you noted in your post, now feeling a whole lot better about themselves for extracting their pound of flesh even at the cost of some poor girl's life.
              Are you sure you're not thinking of the ones who came armed to the teeth shouting racial epithets and threatening people with violence/actually killing people?

Comment

What would people think about having a park/museum someplace remembering and 'honoring' the confederacy than getting rid of everything else? A lot of these statues were put up way after the war.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Well, it's true. The economic freedom of owning other people.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Read her statement again. She exempted people from larger states. Doesn't that imply something?
                    I'm going to put this in a different format that UNO did- as there were pauses in the message- as in different paragraphs.

"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."
                    That FIRST paragraph is the part about the deplorables. "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic-- you name it" part.

And you'll note that the end she says- "they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America"

THEN she went on to say

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."
                    Who are a part of the population that SHE wants to appeal to. These are people who she says the government and economy let them down, specifically noting that with the states you point out.

So the fact that you put those two paragraphs together says to me that you are putting really horrible people in the same boat who have just been let down by the system. Not Secretary Clinton, YOU. Or at least someone convinced you that you should conclude that. She says "I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California"- do you really think her "friends" are the racist xenophobes? Does that really make sense?

They are completely different explanations of different people. One that are horrible, the other that should get help to get out of their hole.

So to answer your question, no, I don't see any "exemptions from large states" as you think. I see that she wants to appeal to many of the people who are mysteriously drawn to dump. She honestly feels bad for them. "Those are the people we have to understand and empathize with as well" should make that pretty clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Well, it's true. The economic freedom of owning other people.
                      Well you see [insert libertarian argument here]

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        Are you sure you're not thinking of the ones who came armed to the teeth shouting racial epithets and threatening people with violence/actually killing people?
                        As I said before, as soon as their abhorrent speech turns into criminal actions, let the authorities handle it. The limited footage that I saw on the evening news and CNN.com made it appear that the violence occurred when the protesters met up with the anti-protesters. But if there was violence by the protesters before the confrontation by the anti-protesters, call the cops. I can't believe people think that a better alternative is just assembling your own mob and wading in.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          Well you see [insert libertarian argument here]
                          Been going strong for 100 years.

There's a lot of money in telling reactionaries what they want to hear.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            As I said before, as soon as their abhorrent speech turns into criminal actions, let the authorities handle it. The limited footage that I saw on the evening news and CNN.com made it appear that the violence occurred when the protesters met up with the anti-protesters. But if there was violence by the protesters before the confrontation by the anti-protesters, call the cops. I can't believe people think that a better alternative is just assembling your own mob and wading in.
                            Right but they were peacefully protesting as outlined in the constitution. Pretty much the opposite of the mob you're describing.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              That's a great idea.

If, in the experience of history it actually works. It didn't in Germany, it didn't in Italy, it actually didn't in England, too (but the nazis in England got shouted down enough to go away).

Black Lives Matter have protests where they are protesting that they should get the rights and protections that everybody should get, equally, by law. Mostly they are non-violent rallies. And they are consistently met with scorn and police with some kind of riot gear.

neo-nazis have protests where they are protesting that other people should NOT get the rights that they get, as they are superior. They came to the rally armed to the teeth. And they were met with some police just there to direct traffic.

So if the police react that way, how can you realistically expect them to react the way you suggest?

There is a real world out there.

Comment

The irony of this angle of attack coming from Bannonbart and Jonestown is rich

Comment

Working...
                                X