Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 1007

Thread: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

  1. #281
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    I think people (including the authorities) got more uneasy about their permits when they started showing up with Nazi flags, baseball bats, body armor, and guns.
    No kidding. I think its safe to say a 1A lawsuit would have been preferable to what they got today.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

  2. #282
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,655

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    One of the torchbearers was outed by classmates at U of Nevada. Member of the College Republicans, though apparently the Facebook page has been working on scrubbing any reference with him. We'll see if UN-Reno still wants him enrolled in a couple weeks.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat USA U18
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  3. #283
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,655

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat USA U18
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  4. #284
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,658

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    One of the torchbearers was outed by classmates at U of Nevada. Member of the College Republicans, though apparently the Facebook page has been working on scrubbing any reference with him. We'll see if UN-Reno still wants him enrolled in a couple weeks.
    As despicable as it is, can a public university really do that for a person taking a political position publicly? If he wasn't breaking the law (haven't followed that closely, so I don't know), holding himself as representing the school, or violating some code of academic ethics, then his political actions should be entirely independent of his enrollment status.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  5. #285
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    As despicable as it is, can a public university really do that for a person taking a political position publicly? If he wasn't breaking the law (haven't followed that closely, so I don't know), holding himself as representing the school, or violating some code of academic ethics, then his political actions should be entirely independent of his enrollment status.
    Have to figure the legal waters are muddy here. There's probably something in the student code of conduct like, "Any actions which cause the good name and reputation of the school to be subjected to question, suspicion, or ridicule may be subject to administrative discipline, up to and including expulsion." However, if he wasn't exhibiting himself as a representative of the school (wearing Nevada apparel and such), I don't see how that passes muster in court. It was his classmates that outed him, presumably based on recognizing him in photos. Was he posting the pics to social media himself and bragging about his attendance, or did they appear on other people's accounts? Are they photos from news sources?

    However, I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    If they can't outright expel him, I have to think he's likely to leave of his own volition, which I'm sure is the real goal of 'outing' him to the entire campus. He'll be shunned by 98% of the student body, as we're already seeing with the student orgs he was part of.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  6. #286
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37,170

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Bizarro World "I hate Illinois nazi's" there last. Ugly... geez

  7. #287
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,074

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    There's probably something in the student code of conduct like, "Any actions which cause the good name and reputation of the school to be subjected to question, suspicion, or ridicule may be subject to administrative discipline, up to and including expulsion." However, if he wasn't exhibiting himself as a representative of the school (wearing Nevada apparel and such), I don't see how that passes muster in court.
    Public universities still have to abide by the 1st Amendment because they're government run. They can't expel someone because of their political views, no matter how abhorrent such views may be. Illegal acts are another matter, entirely.

    Private institutions are also another matter entirely.

  8. #288
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Public universities still have to abide by the 1st Amendment because they're government run. They can't expel someone because of their political views, no matter how abhorrent such views may be. Illegal acts are another matter, entirely.

    Private institutions are also another matter entirely.
    Makes sense.

    This just in - Sessions issued a statement that the DOJ has opened a federal investigation into today's events in Charlottesville.

    EDIT: Also, the attacker's name has been released.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  9. #289
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,655

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Makes sense.

    This just in - Sessions issued a statement that the DOJ has opened a federal investigation into today's events in Charlottesville.

    EDIT: Also, the attacker's name has been released.
    Field's mother, Samantha Bloom, told The Associated Press on Saturday night that she knew her son was attending a rally in Virginia but didn't know it was a white supremacist rally.

    "I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump's not a white supremacist," Bloom said.

    "He had an African-American friend so ...," she said before her voice trailed off. She added that she'd be surprised if her son's views were that far right.
    That crosses two off the bingo card. Don't often get a combo like that in back to back sentences.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat USA U18
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  10. #290
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    That crosses two off the bingo card. Don't often get a combo like that in back to back sentences.
    "Who do you blame, when your kid is a brat?"
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  11. #291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,266

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Stolen from Facebook:

    "Im suddenly reminded of all the times I have heard people say that the Muslim community needs to condemn their radicals. #charlottesville"

  12. #292
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,266

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.


  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,266

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Last edited by Handyman; 08-13-2017 at 12:24 AM.

  14. #294
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,954

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I agree. I also say (and here's where I'm gonna get backlash) they have a right to say what they want to say. When it becomes action...we now have an issue. A serious issue. Like, I'm gonna react to your action, and not in a good way issue. Spout off about your hate, fine and dandy, we'll criticize. You act on that? Be prepared for some serious fury.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #295
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I agree. I also say (and here's where I'm gonna get backlash) they have a right to say what they want to say. When it becomes action...we now have an issue. A serious issue. Like, I'm gonna react to your action, and not in a good way issue. Spout off about your hate, fine and dandy, we'll criticize. You act on that? Be prepared for some serious fury.
    And I say that when you show up to a "peaceful" demonstration with guns, knives, clubs/bats, etc. as many of these fascist idiots did today - you're asking for it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  16. #296
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,954

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    And I say that when you show up to a "peaceful" demonstration with guns, knives, clubs/bats, etc. as many of these fascist idiots did today - you're asking for it.
    Also agree. I'm all for a peaceful protest. Go for it. That's cool. Showing up with guns/knives/etc? That's an action.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    34,266

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    So now Trump thinks Bannon is behind the leaks. This guy's paranoia knows no bounds!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  18. #298
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    17,443

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So now Trump thinks Bannon is behind the leaks. This guy's paranoia knows no bounds!
    I'm sure it's pure coincidence that all of those reports came from this afternoon, nothing else today makes it necessary to put space between Bannon and him.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  19. #299
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,386

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    So now there are three people dead in Charlottesville.

  20. #300
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,353

    Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Bizarro World "I hate Illinois nazi's" there last. Ugly... geez
    Illinois Nazi's ya say?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •