UMD 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Yeah, luckily Lowenheilm was only shaken up.

How did that no goal not go in????
    It wasn’t a goal as it did not go in. Buckeyes looked horrible in the 2nd period. I would expect a different team will hit the ice tomorrow. You have to play the game before you win it! UMD looked good and Convery had the game of her life.

Comment

• Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

OSU 1 - UMD 4 final.

"Jessica Convery have a game why don't you?!!!"...I guess so!

Excellent effort by the 'Dogs. I won't be put off if they continue in this vein the rest of the season. This is what I saw two weeks ago just even faster and the great quick passing with split second execution occurring for the entire weekend not just for part of the game. That's not being critical, just objective.

I thought that if they brought that relentless speed to this series that in would give OSU headaches...which it appears to have done, so far,...which doesn't mean that OSU backed down or doesn't have speed of their own. This was a pretty fast game.

I really like seeing OSU high up in the national mix and being such a vastly improved team. It's great for the game of Womens' Hockey and for the WCHA. That's no consolation for UMD's standings this season but that's just the way she goes.

Onward to tomorrow.

(Forgot to mention that that no goal came down behind Sauve and hit the top of the crossbar).

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
        It wasn’t a goal as it did not go in.
        Yes, I know. I wasn't arguing that it was a goal just expressing amazement that it somehow did not go in.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          OSU 1 - UMD 4 after two. SOG: OSU 22 - UMD 24.

Brodt with two nice moves to beat two OSU defenders and then went what looked to be 5 hole on Sauve.

Then Bell to Rogge with a nice wrist shot 2 hole.

Sauve possibly looking frustrated after one play by her net jabbing a Dog with her stick well after the whistle.

Then Mrzova was all alone in front but had fallen and couldn't get back up in time to accept the pass from Brodt.

UMD starts the 3rd on the PP.

I've felt this season from what I've seen that UMD has played a fair amount better than their standings would indicate. This game, so far, would appear to be an example of that.
          Caught the third period on TV, UMD dominated play throughout. It was an impressive win, more so if the rest of the game looked that way. The WCHA is going to be a lot more interesting in the coming years. The sad part is that will probably be reflected in less representation in the NCAAs but the games are going to be a lot more exciting.

Comment

OSU 0 - UMD 0 after one. SOG: OSU 11 - UMD 8.

Decent period, quick, intensive.

Bell on a breakaway fanned on the shot and earlier failed to lift a wrap around while Sauve was down. And Convery with 2 nice saves in quick succession in close.

Interesting call with 1:30 left in the period. Sauve made a pad save and Mrzova tried to bang the puck lose with a one time swipe at Sauve's pad. Sauve took exception and reached up with her stick that was coming from left field and hammered Mrzova in the chops. They both got 2 min for slashing.

Comment

OSU 1 - UMD 0 after two.

Dogs with an open net after another wraparound by Mrazova and she hit the post.

Rogge another opportunity right in front with Sauve down but she failed to lift the puck into the open top half of the net. (This never raising the puck in these situations when the top half of the net is open is beyond me...hoping that sliding it weakly along the ice thru bodies, skates, sticks and pads increases your odds of scoring...and this particular player can shoot). Several missed opportunities by UMD which usually comes back to.....

Skaggs in front tapped it home when Convery failed to pull the puck back to her after a save and as she was sliding back into the net. She made the attempt but somehow did not gain control of the puck.

Comment

OSU 1 - UMD 2 final. SOG: OSU 32 - UMD 25.

I was watching this game thinking how impressed I was yesterday (but forgot to mention it) and today (thinking I'll mention it in my next post) with the play, energy, effort and desire shown by freshman Anna Klein...she was difficult to miss especially on the forecheck...and then she scored from an almost impossible angle along the goal line roofing the shot ("raising" is in her vocabulary). Then shortly afterwards she was all alone in front but missed the net.

Then her persistent forecheck paid off as she scooped up what appeared to be a mishandled puck in the OSU end and with a few strides was all alone in front of Sauve and went tight 3 hole like it had eyes. (Did I mention that she knows how to raise the puck?)

Dunne hit the post late in the period and Convery denied Iofallo point blank earlier in the period.

Convery with another strong performance.

Anna Klein with the Player of the Game Award.

This action is starting to remind me of the PP (Possum Play) from two years ago and then again last year.

Could it be? Could it really be? (They're off everybody's radar...the ideal position from which to initiate the PP).
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-27-2018, 06:59 PM. Reason: wrong hole initially indicated

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

I was watching this game thinking how impressed I was yesterday (but forgot to mention it) and today (thinking I'll mention it in my next post) with the play, energy, effort and desire shown by freshman Anna Klein...she was difficult to miss especially on the forecheck...and then she scored from an almost impossible angle along the goal line roofing the shot ("raising" is in her vocabulary). Then shortly afterwards she was all alone in front and missed the net.

Then her persistent forecheck paid off as she scooped up what appeared to be a mishandled puck in the OSU end and with a few strides was all alone in front of Sauve and went tight 2 hole like it had eyes. (Did I mention that she knows how to raise the puck?)

Dunne hit the post late in the period and Convery denied Iofallo point blank earlier in the period.

This action is starting to remind me of the PP (Possum Play) from two years ago and then again last year.

Could it be? Could it really be? (They're off everybody's radar...the ideal position from which to initiate the PP).
                  Both goalies were good. You have to question why the OSU coach would put out a defenseman who had not had one shift in a 1-0 game! That led to the first goal and the 2nd goal was a beauty. And then with 1:30 left in the game and a face off in the Bulldogs end, they kept Sauve in her net?
                  Last edited by Puckdrop14; 01-27-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I was watching this game thinking how impressed I was yesterday (but forgot to mention it) and today (thinking I'll mention it in my next post) with the play, energy, effort and desire shown by freshman Anna Klein...she was difficult to miss especially on the forecheck...and then she scored from an almost impossible angle along the goal line roofing the shot ("raising" is in her vocabulary). Then shortly afterwards she was all alone in front and missed the net.

Then her persistent forecheck paid off as she scooped up what appeared to be a mishandled puck in the OSU end and with a few strides was all alone in front of Sauve and went tight 2 hole like it had eyes. (Did I mention that she knows how to raise the puck?)

I'm not shocked, I think UMD has played lots of good games!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      I'm not shocked, I think UMD has played lots of good games!
                      Well, they also beat Colgate in November so as I mentioned, I think they are somewhat better than their record would indicate.

I didn't think that today's game was quite as fast as yesterday's but as I posted a few days ago, if they can skate 60 minutes in each game from here on in as fast as they did vs BSU a few weeks ago and vs OSU yesterday they will create unpleasant experiences for their opponents...win or lose.

Comment

Highlights from yesterday's game and post game interviews with Crowell and Brodt...

Didn't notice yesterday but Rogge's goal went in off an OSU defender's stick...

https://youtu.be/4U045qtyKYI

https://youtu.be/gxkw8Hy7FQQ

Highlights of today's game...

https://youtu.be/9FMYBTZq7Cs
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-27-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I was watching this game thinking how impressed I was yesterday (but forgot to mention it) and today (thinking I'll mention it in my next post) with the play, energy, effort and desire shown by freshman Anna Klein...she was difficult to miss especially on the forecheck...
                          Not the news I was hoping for. Nevertheless, I greatly appreciated the updates and recaps this weekend.

Question: Is UMD utilizing the optional media timeouts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            You have to question why the OSU coach would put out a defenseman who had not had one shift in a 1-0 game! That led to the first goal and the 2nd goal was a beauty. And then with 1:30 left in the game and a face off in the Bulldogs end, they kept Sauve in her net?
                            Funny you should catch that. OSU bench management has been very poor all year and has cost them other games, see mercyhurst. Coach sits lines for periods at a time then expects them to deliver in crucial situations. Having played at a high level with experience of sitting at times, sitting that long then playing a shift is not a pleasant experience. Legs feel like jello and mentally you are a wreck just trying not to make a mistake. Even NHL teams play their fourth lines a few times a period. God forbid one of the 3 D that play gets hurt because none of the other D have played much at all this year and I can’t believe they would be in any shape to play a regular shift right now.

As for sauve coming out? That’s just bad decision making.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Question: Is UMD utilizing the optional media timeouts?
                              I know nothing about this topic (ie: "optional") except to say that it seemed to me that there were several media time outs during the game...(both games).

And I hope you got osualum86 off that ledge, we wouldn't want to lose him.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                                And then with 1:30 left in the game and a face off in the Bulldogs end, they kept Sauve in her net?
                                Yeah, I counted 5 attackers and wondered "what's going on with OSU here"?

Comment

Working...
                                X