UMD 2017 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

UMD worked their butts off in the third period to come back and tie the game. It was very discouraging as a Gopher fan but the Bulldogs certainly earned it. The first two goals were odd man rushes. As in 4 (or 5) on 3. We had forwards who fell down in the offensive zone and they didn't get up and come back as fast as UMD transitioned en masse! With 4 Bulldogs coming in our d maybe got a little bit passive. Aggressive plays by UMD and it was pretty impressive and they made us pay.

Comment

UMD 0 - UM 5 Final.

A substantial beat down suffered by the 'Dogs today at the hands of UM. Disappointing after yesterday's positive result.

Will again have to wait for UM fans for their take on the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        UMD 0 - UM 5 Final.

A substantial beat down suffered by the 'Dogs today at the hands of UM. Disappointing after yesterday's positive result.

Will again have to wait for UM fans for their take on the game.
        The Bulldogs looked as good tonight as they did last night. I saw 2 differences, the Gopher D was much more solid and they also moved the puck better. It was not a 5-0 game.

We got to meet your new coach today and she is very impressive. I think UMDs future is definitely looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          It was not a 5-0 game.
          Have to disagree with you a bit here. From my vantage point none of the Gophers' 5 goals was fluky in any way, and Peters stopped all the shots she would be expected to stop. After racing to a 3 goal lead in the 1st and surviving a few brief flourishes the rest of the way I thought the Gophers' lead was never in question and the outcome was never in doubt.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Have to disagree with you a bit here. From my vantage point none of the Gophers' 5 goals was fluky in any way, and Peters stopped all the shots she would be expected to stop. After racing to a 3 goal lead in the 1st and surviving a few brief flourishes the rest of the way I thought the Gophers' lead was never in question and the outcome was never in doubt.
            With the exception of the 3rd on Friday I didn't think Saturday looked much different. The improvement on the MN side were small, though critical, and a couple of pucks that just missed on Friday just made it on Saturday. It didn't look to me like the Gophers owned the Bulldogs but they did control the game. To put it another way, if you watched a 5 minute clip of any part of the first 2 periods you would not have said "Oh, this is a 5-0 game for sure!"

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              With the exception of the 3rd on Friday I didn't think Saturday looked much different. The improvement on the MN side were small, though critical, and a couple of pucks that just missed on Friday just made it on Saturday. It didn't look to me like the Gophers owned the Bulldogs but they did control the game. To put it another way, if you watched a 5 minute clip of any part of the first 2 periods you would not have said "Oh, this is a 5-0 game for sure!"
              Yeah, I think Saturday the Gophers had a lethal combination of puck luck and stellar offensive plays. To me, UMD played pretty good hockey both days and in the last 5 minutes Friday just exerted their will and pushed the Gophers over and Minnesota did not resist good enough.

Comment

IMO, when UMD rallied in the third period on Friday, they did so by playing a more aggressive style after concentrating on shutting Minnesota down for the first couple of periods. As the first period went along yesterday, I thought that the game became more wide open as it did late on Friday. Both teams likely wanted to play an up-tempo style; their coaches would have preferred something more conservative. On Friday, the Bulldogs got the transition goals. Yesterday, the Gophers did. UMD had chances in the first couple of periods, but it looked to me like they either put their shots wide of the net or into Peters' midsection.

Ironically, I thought that special teams play was closer yesterday; on Friday, Minnesota dominated, even though the goal count wouldn't show it, because UMD scored on its only real chance. I'd say that the Bulldogs' PK is one area where they need to improve, because the Gophers had free reign on the PP for long stretches.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks guys for the glimpse into both games.

Comment

All this talk about puck luck is BS, all you have to do is listen to what their coach said: ““You generate four shots and miss the net five times, you don’t really get at the goalie, you don’t win games with puck possession. And then they take advantage of their opportunities; credit them with some beautiful goals.”
                    Absolutely, all five were pretty goals, highlight film worthy. I would say that the game was fairly evenly played, except where it really counts. Is luck generated by the individual or does it fall in your lap? It doesn’t matter, what you do with it is what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Thanks guys for the glimpse into both games.
                      I expect the dogs have a pretty bright future. They have 10 frosh and that might explain a lot of the uneven play. The old days of the WCHA being a 3 team, then a 2 team league are going to be gone. Assuming the conditions I see now continue it is going to be a 4 team league with the occasional run by the other 3. That means some painful losses and snubs from the NCAA but the seasons will be a lot more exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldyDad2B
                        I'm not totally agreeing yet about the "4" and which teams that would be. I do like our chances against the Bulldogs for half two - admitted bias of course. Don't understand all of what is happening with the UMD team and the tender situation there (apparently no competition for the senior transplant with 2.6 GA in WCHA in first half of season)... I'd be happy to see them show improvement in WCHA in second half and be one of the top 4 in WCHA for 2018 games--looking forward to some good battles in maroon gold yet this year. Let's not write off this entire year yet for some great hockey.
                        I think 4 teams have shown either vast improvement the last couple of years or continued dominance. I don't doubt for a minute that the other 3 will impact the ordering of the top 4 but, at least for the last couple of seasons, those 4 have made a statement. Yeah, there will be some great games and it does not lessen the fact that teams will have great seasons but not get to the NCAA tourney. There could easily be 4 WCHA teams with a serious shot at the final trophy and that is exciting. That at least 3 won't win it in any given year does not mean they won't have great seasons and be part of fabulous games

Comment

Sarah Murray back in Duluth last night with her charges from South Korea...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2018...n-weekend.aspx

Comment

A bit of a tune up for the second half of the season...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2018...ecaps-7-2.aspx

Comment

Former 'Dogs headed to the Olympics...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...mpic-team.aspx

Comment

BSU 0 - UMD 0 after one. SOG: BSU 13 - UMD 12

The Beavs and the 'Dogs attempt to rearrange the dust on the basement stairs of the WCHA tonight at Amsoil in a somewhat surprisingly (to me) entertaining and action packed game, so far.

Other than the first 2 minutes when BSU kept the puck hemmed in the UMD end it has been pretty much end to end.

Convery has made 3 or 4 extremely good saves and at least one great save to keep the 'Dogs even.

BSU almost got a freebee when a shot had Convery going to her right but Daoust got her stick into the action and quickly deflected it right towards the net to Convery's left. The post came to her aid.

This is a vastly "improved" offense for BSU from what I last remember in the last few years. The game is wide open instead of the grind that BSU usually bestows on opponents. Then again, maybe they had no choice, not having been offensively endowed.

Comment

Working...
                                X