Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

CU 1 - UMD 4 Final.

Cu scoring on a PP with just 23 seconds left in the game...you could feel it coming based on UMD's casual attitude in the previous minute or so.

Even so, this win should put a spark in the 'Dogs' moulded boot step.

Pretty entertaining game.

Comment

The 'Dogs take home the hardware from the Windjammer Classic, for what that's worth, by beating UV 2-1...and just barely.

Just barely "because their first goal reminded me of skill sets you have to go back to Atom B2 to see with respect to the quality both of UMD's shot and of UV's goaltending response to said shot. Both off the chart pathetic. And UMD did not play like they played yesterday. This is an offense depleted team whose best bet is synergism...they have no choice. But those who have a modicum of offensive talent need to put it on display consistently thereby helping this desperately in need team. I realize that they lost a couple of close games to higher ranked teams in the last 2 months and if a couple of those games would have gone the other way then they might even still be ranked but if wishes were horses...that being the case I do think UMD is a better team than their record would appear to argue.

I said "for what that's worth"...what I think this hardware victory is worth is the spark of encouragement and belief in themselves that the convincing win yesterday vs Colgate should engender (regardless of their choking it in the final couple minutes by getting horizontal and allowing Colgate the opportunity to score one which Colgate graciously accepted...the choke put a bad taste on a very good win...like the last mouthful of a great turkey dinner that you have to spit out).

The win today might have the same positive effect although geometrically smaller (since judging by their play yesterday they should have dominated UV in a virtual beat down...judging by most of their play so far this year they should have dominated UV...but that didn't happen) because it almost always feels good to win a tournament regardless of how badly you may have played or how bad the competition was.

The goaltending, while not stellar, seems to be consistently solid enough to keep them in games...it's the offense that is the glaring problem this year with most of it having graduated last year. And even though there are some bright offensive spots on the team like Mrazova, Brodt, and freshman Rogge and Bell and possibly Houston (who for some reason isn't having the modest immediate impact that I thought she would have) freshman often take a year or two to make the adjustment both skillwise and confindencewise before there is any possibility of serious impact. Last year's senior class is a good example of that with their biggest contributions by far coming in their last two years...notwithstanding all the turmoil that they had to endure in the program just prior to that.

So, there are some positives to take back to Duluth with the hardware...the hardware being the least of which.

Speaking of recent program financial turmoil, how much does it cost to fly the team to Burlington, put them up for 2 or 3 nights, feed them, etc., etc., to attend a micro tournament which at the outset is meaningless? If the program was trying to save money because the liars in chief thought that they couldn't afford the previous coach's salary I wonder what percentage of that salary attending this tournament would have amounted to?

Just aksin'.
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-25-2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        . . . If the program was trying to save money because the liars in chief thought that they couldn't afford the previous coach's salary I wonder what percentage of that salary attending this tournament would have amounted to?

Just aksin'.
        Don't think it was the money as much as the POS coach and that she was no longer winning.
        Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          Don't think it was the money as much as the POS coach and that she was no longer winning.
          Just sayin'
          Yeah, well, I did say "liars in chief". That was my point.

Comment

Yeah, well, I did say "liars in chief". That was my point.
            Sounded to me like you were blaming the admin. I think they would have been OK with the behavior problems & the expense had the championship trophies kept rolling in, that is the MO of most ADs

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              Sounded to me like you were blaming the admin. I think they would have been OK with the behavior problems & the expense had the championship trophies kept rolling in, that is the MO of most ADs
              I was pointing out the apparent hypocrisy in the story that these dirt bags fed to the public.

If your conclusion re:"POS" is correct (and I'm not saying that that is the most accurate adjective) then I would say that you failed to spread the love since your adjective would definitely, unquestionably apply to the other two...the paragons of virtue that they pretend to be.

So, 3 instead of 1.

I guess you could call it a POS bonus package.

Comment

virtue - leave it to a Canuck, holier than thou (or so they claim)
                I don't see where they claimed they were being virtuous, they wanted to get rid of the BH, and did.
                I would like to have seen you or shelfit dismiss her, she was not gonna go quietly into the night.
                compare her actions with her assistant who has continued her career quite nicely.
                She could have easily had a job at another school if it weren't for her personality, which likely the east coast wasn't familar
                crap, she is the poster child for many of these eastern schools

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  virtue - leave it to a Canuck, holier than thou (or so they claim)
                  I don't see where they claimed they were being virtuous
                  Maybe you can explain to us what virtue has to do with nationality, your mostness.

I didn't say "claim" to be I said "pretend" to be and I was referring to the perceptions that I would think that most students at any university would automatically confer on their Chancellor and (maybe to a lesser extent) their AD.

These two failed their students and their institution (never mind their families and themselves) with respect to the concept of principles when they deliberately lied about their motives. They were a perfect example of how not to conduct oneself as opposed to setting an example for others to follow. They are an embarrassment to all those parties concerned including themselves.

Principles know no borders contrary to what you seem to think.

Comment

These two failed their students and their institution (never mind their families and themselves) with respect to the concept of principles when they deliberately lied about their motives. They were a perfect example of how not to conduct oneself as opposed to setting an example for others to follow. They are an embarrassment to all those parties concerned including themselves.
                    Embarrassing themselves seems to be what people in their positions in this university system seem to do. Around the same time UMD's AD was making a mess of this situation, UMTC's AD was stalking female reporters. And as for Black, his predecessor was as embarrassing in support of Miller as Black was in opposition to her. I'm not sure if college athletics is more messed up in this state than elsewhere around the country, or if the news media is just more bored than it is at most places so all the dirt comes to light. Idealistically, you're right, but this is pretty small potatoes as U of M athletic scandals go.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

If you had criticized the US for being too litigious and people not accepting responsibility for their actions I’d agree with you, and that’s why when somebody gets canned they are never told the true reason why. UMD didn’t lie, they did what everyone does, give some excuse that only plays a small part in it, yet has some validity. It’s sort of like dumping a romantic partner, you don’t tell them they’re crappy in the sack, or whatever the real root of the problem is. You give them a reason that is beyond either of your control. All but those with mental defects will accept it and move on.

In her case no reason in the world they could give her was going to prevent a lawsuit, that was obvious a year before all this became public and she was shooting her mouth off about being the only female coach in the WCHA. A lobotomy might have done the trick, but the U of MN has too recently gotten into trouble for performing experiments on people without proper consent to get away with that.

Complaining about people attending a Holiday tournament, that’s what all the privileged elite university administration do, why would UMD be any different? It’s their right, just ask them. When nearly every company gets caught in a budget crisis, what do they do? Cut heads, starting with people who are underperforming, or overpaid, or a troublemaker. The Coach Whose Name Shan’t Be Uttered happened to have been all three. What’s the mystery?

Comment

Convery named NCAA First Star of the Week...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...-the-week.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          If you had criticized the US for being too litigious and people not accepting responsibility for their actions I’d agree with you, and that’s why when somebody gets canned they are never told the true reason why. UMD didn’t lie, they did what everyone does, give some excuse that only plays a small part in it, yet has some validity. It’s sort of like dumping a romantic partner, you don’t tell them they’re crappy in the sack, or whatever the real root of the problem is. You give them a reason that is beyond either of your control. All but those with mental defects will accept it and move on.

In her case no reason in the world they could give her was going to prevent a lawsuit, that was obvious a year before all this became public and she was shooting her mouth off about being the only female coach in the WCHA. A lobotomy might have done the trick, but the U of MN has too recently gotten into trouble for performing experiments on people without proper consent to get away with that.

Complaining about people attending a Holiday tournament, that’s what all the privileged elite university administration do, why would UMD be any different? It’s their right, just ask them. When nearly every company gets caught in a budget crisis, what do they do? Cut heads, starting with people who are underperforming, or overpaid, or a troublemaker. The Coach Whose Name Shan’t Be Uttered happened to have been all three. What’s the mystery?
                          I agree with pretty much every thing you've said here except "UMD didn't lie". Your accurate explanation is an explanation of how liars in these types of situations attempt to rationalize their lies. Rationalizing the lie doesn't eliminate it...it only makes excuses for it thereby exposing a serious wanting of character in those making the excuses who, not coincidentally, were the ones who initially lied. It all comes right back to the deadbeats.

Comment

I see where your recruit Gabbie Hughes had a "pretty nice" game last night. If she wants to change her mind Ridder is only a 15 minute drive from home.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game...ferrer=3519982
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I agree with pretty much every thing you've said here except "UMD didn't lie". Your accurate explanation is an explanation of how liars in these types of situations attempt to rationalize their lies. Rationalizing the lie doesn't eliminate it...it only makes excuses for it thereby exposing a serious wanting of character in those making the excuses who, not coincidentally, were the ones who initially lied. It all comes right back to the deadbeats.
                              Maybe that’s how people in the tundra think, but here in the US when employers want to part with their employees they give a reason that has some basis in reality and allows the employee to save face which allows them to be employable elsewhere.

In this situation, they were budget cutting, and indeed the replacement is paid less. You cannot expect to erase a 4 million shortfall on one person. Her assistant also had a choice, join in with the blame and finger pointing, or move on and look for another job. She took the latter route and seems to have landed on her feet with not one but two jobs many would love to have.

She also had this choice, my assumption is that she knew the hockey world had passed her by, her understanding of the game was at least a decade behind, and she was losing the recruiting wars, no mystery there, who wants to play for a coach with untreated mental disorders?

Comment

Morin given an opportunity to crack Team USA line up...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...onal-team.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X