Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2017 Season Thread

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Yet they seemed to easily dominate possession and had twice as many SOG as OSU did but many were lobbed from distance looking like feeble attempts to “do something” in the absence of support or creativity, thereby handing Sauve a relatively easy shutout.

This is definitely a work in progress. Looked like they really wanted it but just didn’t know how to go about it.

So, some positives to build from but they were not a threat to OSU at all tonight.

Yet, it seemed if a few pieces would fall into place the impression left would be quite different.

And good for long suffering OSU to have a decent start to their season.
    Boy, you could have written almost the same report for MN v OSU. Muzzy has that team humming along very nicely. They are a real threat to make the NCAAs if they can keep it up.
    I also appreciate your last line. This is a game not life itself. I have been saying it would be good if the WCHA had a couple more competitive teams. It was fun to see UMD getting back in the mix & adding OSU is just going to make things better. SUre, the additional losses will not be fun but more competitive hockey games sure will be.

Comment

OSU 4 - UMD 3 Final.

The 'Dogs made it interesting by scoring with the extra attacker with 32 seconds left in the game to pull within one with a nice quick move by Rogge in front of Sauve. But, ultimately, it was not to be.

Only saw the third period (right after OSU scored in the first minute or two) and was again very impressed with their speed (they can fly), energy level and determination but in close they seem to have trouble creating decent scoring opportunities (which might have had something to do with OSU's defence). Although their first two goals may disprove that since I didn't see them.

They were moving on the PP and cycling the puck like a high powered buzz saw...but, unfortunately, a toothless one.

OSU looked like they had more energy in the third today than what I saw in yesterday's game...possibly aided by the burgeoning anticipation of a sweep.

Congratulations to OSU on the sweep and the great start to their season.

All the best to them (until we meet again).

Comment

UM 4 - UMD 1 Final.

The 'Dogs lost this one in the first 5 minutes of the game when their bodies were on the ice but their heads were still in the dressing room. I'll never understand this nonsense.

Once they understood that the game had already started, after being scored on twice, their play improved but prior to that they were pathetic on both sides of the puck.

(The first goal, though was rather unfortunate, going in off a UMD defender's skate).

To applaud: UMD's passing for most of the game...nice quick, crisp, tape to tape passes facilitating good breakouts.

But their speed seemed to be missing today.

And they were their own worst enemy by not shooting with authority and not shooting for the holes...or at the very least...raising the puck when in close. The team suffered from the same malady 2 or 3 years ago...pathetic uninspiring thoughtless shots and expecting to score.

In fairness they hit I crossbar and 1 post but when they finally created some opportunities for themselves their lack of finishing expertise was glaring.

Peters made 2 or 3 nice saves, especially off Mrazova right near the end of the game but many of UMD's shots were into her stomach. And with Peters' stick and blocker laying beside the net and with her (intelligently) protecting her now vulnerable blocker hand by keeping it behind her back...and a shot from in close in the slot where do you shoot it?...to the glove side , of course!

And carrying the puck over the blue line and into the high slot and then instead of shooting, voluntarily skating the puck over to the boards and then into the corner...without any pressure on you at all...well!!!!????

Crowell has work to do, especially making sure that the team knows when the game officially starts. From there she can work on some shooting theory. Miller never did so I doubt that she will either.

Sloppy thinking in the first 5 minutes was all it took.

Comment

UM 2 - UMD 1 Final.

Well, the 'Dogs looked considerably better today, I thought, but somehow managed to not capitalize on several opportunities...which, conversion aside, was a definite improvement over yesterday's very few opportunities generated.

Again, several weak shots from the slot as though the shooter had no other tricks in their creative bag and one or two who refused to close the gap between themselves in the slot and the UM goaltender (sorry, I don't know her name) before taking a wrist shot when there was no traffic between them.

I saw one good slap shot...which was from Mrazova. She is a talented player with some good moves, a few of which she put on display today, but always seems to be a rung below the level at which she would add tremendous extra value to the UMD attack and to give opponents constant nightmares.

UMD goaltending...the more I see it...looks to be veeeeryyyy meeeeethoddddicaaaaallll...like watching the test pattern, in slow motion, at three in the morning on dope in the early '70's thinking that you were watching a western. Very slow and looks almost detached from the game and in an alternate reality of one. The technicals look like they are being performed in a vat of cold tar. Almost looks like they're watching another game as they attempt to respond to the action.

Some very foolish plays were made without either thinking and/or looking...like giving the puck away to a UM player right by your own goal when there were other options readily available.

I think UM was fortunate to get the win seeing as how many shots hit the post and/or crossbar...and I think Crowell should have had one shot reviewed just before the end of the 2nd, I think it was, which appeared as if it may have gone in high off the post near the crossbar and back out again. Nonetheless, the points in the win column don't require explanations.

So, a better effort but I think the likes of Mrazova, Brodt, Houston, and maybe Bell and Lowenheilm need to step up the pace and the conversion percentages if this team is going to start racking up points this season.

The goaltending could look more engaged as well. They might be surprised at what that can do for your game.
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-21-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

The shot on the two on one near the end of the second was reviewed. It hit both post and crossbar, which was why it took longer to bounce back out. Live, one could hear two rapid clinks.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              The shot on the two on one near the end of the second was reviewed. It hit both post and crossbar, which was why it took longer to bounce back out. Live, one could hear two rapid clinks.
              Thanks. I didn't know if it had been reviewed having walked away from the computer right when the period ended to finish up the yardwork before the rain, that was threatening, fell.

Comment

Forgot to mention that in Friday's game Reilly's (spelling?...and I think it was her) goal all alone in on Johnson was a beauty...wrist shot from somewhere in the face off circle to Johnson's right...3 hole...just like it had eyes.

That's the way they should be able to shoot when they get to this level.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Forgot to mention that in Friday's game Reilly's (spelling?...and I think it was her) goal all alone in on Johnson was a beauty...wrist shot from somewhere in the face off circle to Johnson's right...3 hole...just like it had eyes.

That's the way they should be able to shoot when they get to this level.
                  Caitlin is the youngest of Mike and Lisa Reilly's five children, ALL of whom have played D1 hockey...pretty amazing.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Caitlin is ....
                    IMO, the most improved player last year from the previous year, becoming more physical
                    and again so far this year, becoming a shooter/sniper

Comment

Late wrap from the last game vs UM...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...-2-1-loss.aspx

Comment

UMD 3 - BSU 2 Final.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...state-3-2.aspx

Comment

BSU 2 - UMD 1 Final. SOG BSU 30 - UMD 18.

The 'Dogs get badly outshot again today by BSU.

Starting to look like the 'Dogs have problems at both ends of the rink.

They're not the Red Army team from the early '70's who could beat you 7-2 while only getting 5 SOG.

This is not a talent laden team but Crowell has to step up production on the offense...and fast.

Comment

UMD's explanation/description of their disappointing implosion yesterday vs BSU.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...1-setback.aspx

Comment

I was wondering whatever happened with Shannon Miller's lawsuit. After all this time it looks like she's going to have her day in court after all.

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/36720776/...er-umd-coaches
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                I was wondering whatever happened with Shannon Miller's lawsuit. After all this time it looks like she's going to have her day in court after all.

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/36720776/...er-umd-coaches
                                Despite similar pressures, women’s basketball attracts far more female coaches, and compensation may be a factor. According to the gender equity report, the median salary for Division I women’s basketball coaches is $171,600. Four earn more than $1 million annually, while the highest paid women’s hockey coach is believed to be Shannon Miller of Minnesota-Duluth at $180,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/sp...f-the-job.html

Comment

Working...
                                X