Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    They played the Skunkheads last year so they will play State this year.
    Thanks! And Michigan will be playing who? (Sorry, work has kept me swamped so I am more out of the loop this year)

EDIT: I think I found it, Michigan and Bowling Green......
    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 09-08-2017, 10:43 AM.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Anyone who's been to the Kohl center know what section visiting (Tech) fans usually sit in? What is the best place to get tickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Given the lack of attendance the last few years for Badger games, getting seats where you want shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure where the visitor section is officially. I'm not sure when Tech will offer up a block of seats but I believe single game tickets for the Badgers don't get released until 9/22. I would call the Tech ticket office. They would be the best source of info at this point.
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Who cares about this kid anymore? If he didn't want to play in Houghton, I don't want him on the team anyway.

Joe's got a strong list of guys on the roster. I'm sure he will find enough that want to play hard for him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          So i'm confused. I thought I understood this but if a coach leaves, the players can be released from the NLI, correct?.... but for how long?. Is there a limit on the time, otherwise, what's the point of him signing one in the first place. And it seems like coaches are recruiting players over top of them anyway. However if any player, not just him, wants out of the letter, I suppose the team would release him, as has been pointed out, if he doesn't want to be there you don't want him. But I have dollars to donuts that he asked to be released after Pearson left.
          And you're right, who cares anyway.

lastly, if you think Pearson over recruited, I think Wisconsin is doing it a lot worse than Pearson ever did. And now we have 13 year old commits to Minnesota?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            So i'm confused. I thought I understood this but if a coach leaves, the players can be released from the NLI, correct?.... but for how long?. Is there a limit on the time, otherwise, what's the point of him signing one in the first place. And it seems like coaches are recruiting players over top of them anyway. However if any player, not just him, wants out of the letter, I suppose the team would release him, as has been pointed out, if he doesn't want to be there you don't want him. But I have dollars to donuts that he asked to be released after Pearson left.
            And you're right, who cares anyway.

lastly, if you think Pearson over recruited, I think Wisconsin is doing it a lot worse than Pearson ever did. And now we have 13 year old commits to Minnesota?
            It has nothing directly to do with a coach leaving...the player can ask to be released and the team can release a player at any point.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I just watch an NHL pre-season prospects game between the San Jose Sharks and the Anaheim Ducks. Angus Redmond tended goal for the Ducks and looked really good as he backstopped the Ducks to a 7-1 victory.

Comment

Joe Shawhan Hour on Monday morning at 9am on Mix93 WKMJ. Listen online at pasty.net

Comment

• Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                  I just watch an NHL pre-season prospects game between the San Jose Sharks and the Anaheim Ducks. Angus Redmond tended goal for the Ducks and looked really good as he backstopped the Ducks to a 7-1 victory.
                  I take it he didn't come out to play the puck behind the net then.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    Joe Shawhan Hour on Monday morning at 9am on Mix93 WKMJ. Listen online at pasty.net
                    Great will it be weekly now? Get your questions in

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Thanks. That will start my week off well.

Comment

Thanks. That will start my week off well.

So my biggest take away was that the NCAA is working on a proposal to remove the 1 year wait if a kid transfers to another school.In other words he could transfer and play immediately. Coach mentioned that this might cause significantly more poaching than goes on now. My personal view is it came from Don Lucia, but that's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          So my biggest take away was that the NCAA is working on a proposal to remove the 1 year wait if a kid transfers to another school.In other words he could transfer and play immediately. Coach mentioned that this might cause significantly more poaching than goes on now. My personal view is it came from Don Lucia, but that's just a guess.
                          The rule requiring a player to sit a year is archaic and should be eliminated. Players transfer for different reasons (new coach, bad fit academically, etc). If they don't want to be there and can enroll elsewhere, why force them to sit a year? The same can be said for an athlete transferring from a D2/D3 school and having to sit a year before playing at the D1 level. It's stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
                            The rule requiring a player to sit a year is archaic and should be eliminated. Players transfer for different reasons (new coach, bad fit academically, etc). If they don't want to be there and can enroll elsewhere, why force them to sit a year? The same can be said for an athlete transferring from a D2/D3 school and having to sit a year before playing at the D1 level. It's stupid.
                            I believe the plan is to only require that the player be in good academic standing to transfer (I assume one time)...I think its related to the success of the graduate transfer rule. I'm not sure how this would effect hockey.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
                              All good points, but how do you keep the big from somehow convincing a player who is perfectly happy that he is in fact unhappy and should leave. As it is now the players are bombarded with calls from agents/advisors, whoever.. Adding another layer of stress to the players is not my idea of a good thing. Without some sort of mechanism to prevent poaching it will just move more of the top players to the bigger schools. As it is now the smaller schools only are competitive because they are good at developing players. If, once a player gets noticed, he is convinced to leave, it only consolidates the top players in fewer programs.
                              So here's an example. Player A really wants to play for Minnesota. He gets passed over in the recruiting process because they already have 8 defensemen. So he chooses Duluth. Now Minnesota has an injury and needs him. Off he goes to minnesota? In the middle of the season? I question the efficacy of this.
                              Last edited by manurespreader; 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I read a number of articles about this proposed rule change. Nothing is currently before the NCAA rules committee for consideration so it will be like 2020 or 2021 before this could even be put up for vote.

I also read a number of opinion pieces on this proposal and they all had one point of agreement: This may do many things, but one thing it will do for sure is increase the gap between the have and have-not programs. The stories I read were all discussing football and basketball but I certainly agree with MS's comment above that the same thing will happen in hockey. Certain D-I programs will become nothing more than feeder programs who will have their top players getting calls from "pro advisers" as well as D-I coaches of the top programs the minute they show any sign of talent.

Of course on the other side of the coin, under that type of system, who wants to go be a 4th line player at a top program if you know you'll be kicked to the curb the minute the team can find someone better that will transfer in and take your playing time?
                                "Sign with our team and you can play all four years. We only bring in players to replace early departures and we honor our commitments..."

Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X