Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Kero was hurt.
    Also it's the early signing period. Do we have any NLI's that can be announced?
    Alex Broetzman tweeted this a couple hours ago.

https://twitter.com/ABroetz21/status/932390954774028288

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      I certainly hope I am over reacting like I normally do but it is hard not to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      LOL maybe just a little bit. Tech players have had good starts and then tailed off. Last year Joel started out well then tanked and couldn't buy a goal to save his soul. Then got it going again towards of the end season. I remember Mel referring to players that had hit a hard luck stretch as "gripping their sticks too tight" and just needed to play through it. A ways back I remember Jordan Baker going through dry spell. I was talking to his Dad and saying that it gets in their heads and they start trying too hard to be perfect. Jordan just needed to stop thinking too much and start firing. He scored the next night and I ran into his Dad between periods and we had a "see I told you so" chat.. I think the guys are seeing that really good start to the year slipping away and are putting more pressure on themselves to be the ones to carry the team. I see that as a more likely problem, than the coaches being in their heads.

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
      I watched Beydoun warm up both nights and he did not look good either night during pregame. To the point that he looked a little rattled just in warm ups. That was just my opinion watching his mannerisms from behind the net. I'm not down on him at all, but he may need some more time.

I was curious why Joe took him on the trip over Kero. I thought Devin has played ok.
      When Beydoun got the start against UAH I thought he looked really solid in the warm up. Maybe he's got a good case of the butterflies, knowing he has to be just about perfect out there. I agree he doesn't seem ready yet.

I too was surprised Devin didn't make the trip. Supposedly injured in practice. Must be quite the injury that there is point in bringing him along.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        LOL maybe just a little bit. Tech players have had good starts and then tailed off. Last year Joel started out well then tanked and couldn't buy a goal to save his soul. Then got it going again towards of the end season. I remember Mel referring to players that had hit a hard luck stretch as "gripping their sticks too tight" and just needed to play through it. A ways back I remember Jordan Baker going through dry spell. I was talking to his Dad and saying that it gets in their heads and they start trying too hard to be perfect. Jordan just needed to stop thinking too much and start firing. He scored the next night and I ran into his Dad between periods and we had a "see I told you so" chat.. I think the guys are seeing that really good start to the year slipping away and are putting more pressure on themselves to be the ones to carry the team. I see that as a more likely problem, than the coaches being in their heads.

When Beydoun got the start against UAH I thought he looked really solid in the warm up. Maybe he's got a good case of the butterflies, knowing he has to be just about perfect out there. I agree he doesn't seem ready yet.

I too was surprised Devin didn't make the trip. Supposedly injured in practice. Must be quite the injury that there is point in bringing him along.
        Are the NCAA travel restrictions waived for a two-week trip to Alaska? Possible they couldn't take a 3rd goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Are the NCAA travel restrictions waived for a two-week trip to Alaska? Possible they couldn't take a 3rd goalie.

I'm suggesting sending one home if Kero is ok. I believe that would be legal.

Comment

Definitely plenty to worry about but there are good points, like has been said we thoroughly outplayed them both nights and looked very good in many ways, but to counter that we missed a ridiculous amount of empty nets and good shots, goaltending still very shaky and way too many giveaways in our own ends. Overall for every good point there are an equal number of issues and vice versa. I will say one area where Mel had it all over Joe is how he handled interviews and the media, much more politic, much more calm, cool and collected and more even keel. Joe is very rough around the edges in that regard, not sure he thinks thoroughly enough about what he says before he says it. I definitely would like to see him work on that.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
              Definitely plenty to worry about but there are good points, like has been said we thoroughly outplayed them both nights and looked very good in many ways, but to counter that we missed a ridiculous amount of empty nets and good shots, goaltending still very shaky and way too many giveaways in our own ends. Overall for every good point there are an equal number of issues and vice versa. I will say one area where Mel had it all over Joe is how he handled interviews and the media, much more politic, much more calm, cool and collected and more even keel. Joe is very rough around the edges in that regard, not sure he thinks thoroughly enough about what he says before he says it. I definitely would like to see him work on that.
              He might go to some sort of charm school the media types put on. I really like him overall, and he really knows his stuff.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

In addition to the 20something fans you had scattered through the arena there was a group of a dozen or so mid 20 year young/old Husky fans in a group who kept up constant support of your team with chants, songs, put downs, etc.
                They were loud, very well coordinated and knew their stuff.
                They were an approachable good looking bunch.
                They represented your institution well.
                A group you can be proud of.
                It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                  In addition to the 20something fans you had scattered through the arena there was a group of a dozen or so mid 20 year young/old Husky fans in a group who kept up constant support of your team with chants, songs, put downs, etc.
                  They were loud, very well coordinated and knew their stuff.
                  They were an approachable good looking bunch.
                  They represented your institution well.
                  A group you can be proud of.
                  It's a great day to be a Seawolf!
                  Yup, but they should learn some new chants. Very, very repetitive when Tech was on the PP.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    Yup, but they should learn some new chants. Very, very repetitive when Tech was on the PP.
                    I see what you did there.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that because MTU is on break, the whole team could travel to Alaska for the double...most of the team did make the trip. I think Kero, Anderson and Blacklock stayed home. If Kero is healthy enough to play in Fairbanks, he could travel up to meet the team.

As for NLI, it's likely that Broetzman (announced today) will sign along with Marcus Mitchell...I'm pretty sure TJ Polglaze already signed when he announced last week.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I'm pretty sure that because MTU is on break, the whole team could travel to Alaska for the double...most of the team did make the trip. I think Kero, Anderson and Blacklock stayed home. If Kero is healthy enough to play in Fairbanks, he could travel up to meet the team.

As for NLI, it's likely that Broetzman (announced today) will sign along with Marcus Mitchell...I'm pretty sure TJ Polglaze already signed when he announced last week.
                        I believe the signing period ended on November 15. Did it not?
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                          While as a fan I appreciate the Coach's candor, I have to agree that he is coming dangerously close to throwing players under the bus. However since he's the one getting paid I'll hope he knows what he's doing. Maybe he feels he's out of options and it's the only way to get their attention. I would suggest that he stop referencing Neville, Sturos, and Hanna. We get it. It's starting to sound like making excuses.

His comment about all the missed scoring chances and lack of high end talent had me wondering. While I agree Tech is not the most offensively high end talented group, I don't equate missing wide open nets as being related to high end talent. Not sure why it's happening, but it's been a problem for a couple of years now. Making that point would be that I'm watching last year's Saturday night game against ND and the announcers have already commented on Tech's issues with getting offense from their forwards, and lack of a real PP threat.

Allow me to throw these numbers at you 40-43. That's our goals for and goals against. Surprisingly, the goals for is not out of line with several top teams in the country given comparable number of games played. What stands out is the 43 against. Not even close to good enough, and a good chunk of that I'm putting on the goalies. Too many week goals. But what can you do? These are the guys you have to work with and at the moment I don't see any real improvement happening. (Beydoun: 5 goals on 14 shots if you count that one that was waved off. Not stellar start to his college career)

The turnovers by the D have also suddenly become a problem. Last year I think the coaches would have said we are trying to make the fancy play. And we need to simplify the game.

I think Auk has become enamored with the highlight reel goal just under the crossbar, make the water bottle pop thing. Everything he shoots is six inches over the crossbar. If he gets that down then maybe some one can redirect it. But that high even if some knocks it in it's going to be ruled no goal..

There are enough issues to go around. I hope they figure it out soon.
                          Joe has said every week he wants to give positive examples. I assume that is why he keeps bringing those guys up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            Joe has said every week he wants to give positive examples. I assume that is why he keeps bringing those guys up.
                            His intent may be good but it always sounds like "We are not succeeding because we don't have a (insert names)..."
                            In my opinion, interpreted by some players as I don't have anyone to compare to (insert same names)

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                              His intent may be good but it always sounds like "We are not succeeding because we don't have a (insert names)..."
                              In my opinion, interpreted by some players as I don't have anyone to compare to (insert same names)

i feel like his point is that these guys need to step up because the guys that used to carry the team and set the example aren’t here anymore.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                i feel like his point is that these guys need to step up because the guys that used to carry the team and set the example aren’t here anymore.
                                That's how I interpret it too, but I can see how you could also see it as him saying that there is no one on this team as good as these guys were to talk about.
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X