Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Actually I'm more optimistic than before. I think the problems are known and being worked. that's more than half the battle. Friday night was really good hockey and more than I expected. Saturday, you're right inconsistent but these are young guys or guys who haven't had the responsibility on them yet. I'm sure they will get better as the season goes along. I really like the coaches and I really like how they are handling the situation.
    the show today was interesting. Coach really does say things exactly as they are. I personally think he should be slightly more circumspect in his remarks. but overall, I like what he has to say and the approach. I'm not sure the coaches can get noticeable change in a short period, but by march, i'm positive we will be a much different team. Just have patience.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Actually I'm more optimistic than before. I think the problems are known and being worked. that's more than half the battle. Friday night was really good hockey and more than I expected. Saturday, you're right inconsistent but these are young guys or guys who haven't had the responsibility on them yet. I'm sure they will get better as the season goes along. I really like the coaches and I really like how they are handling the situation.
      the show today was interesting. Coach really does say things exactly as they are. I personally think he should be slightly more circumspect in his remarks. but overall, I like what he has to say and the approach. I'm not sure the coaches can get noticeable change in a short period, but by march, i'm positive we will be a much different team. Just have patience.
      I'm very happy with things. I know the results haven't been the best but much like Coach pointed out in today's show...our PP isn't getting results but its entering better and getting more Grade A scoring chances, they're just not finishing them at the moment... thats more than we can say from the period since Icebreaker prior to to this weekend. I think they are headed in the right direction overall and as they get more consistent, the results will follow.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm very happy with things. I know the results haven't been the best but much like Coach pointed out in today's show...our PP isn't getting results but its entering better and getting more Grade A scoring chances, they're just not finishing them at the moment... thats more than we can say from the period since Icebreaker prior to to this weekend. I think they are headed in the right direction overall and as they get more consistent, the results will follow.
        I haven't given up on this group. Did I think it would be a better start to the year? I sure did. But I probably wasn't considering that not only do we have a new head coach which brings along a new style (we hear it in his interviews, and I'm sure the players are experiencing it too) but he also has assistants with whom he hasn't worked. It will take a little time to gel but I'm optimistic with the talent on this team and think once they get some breaks and pucks start going in the net, they will settle in and we will see better, more consistant results.

They will have an uphill battle in the WCHA playoffs most likely having to travel for at least two rounds, but if they are peaking at that time of year, they will not be an easy out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Did you see the face off stats? Terrible
          They can't be worse than UAA's.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I'm especially happy with the recruiting. I think it's better than ever, and I give Coach Shawhan full credit for making it happen. I also think he is a better coach in a lot of ways, than we thought.
            I think this year is the most balanced in college hockey in a long time.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Not going to lie, I need some of what you guys are smoking, lol.
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                Not going to lie, I need some of what you guys are smoking, lol.
                Just wait... It's only snowed a couple times up here so far this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Same comments as last year. The record was the same. Tech went to the NCAA.

Comment

With the departure of guys like Hanna and Roy, not to mention losing our breakout freshman goaltender a bit earlier than expected, I think this was always going to be a rebuilding year, even if the former coach was still behind the bench. We've just gotten a little too used to winning 20+ games. I see this group improving as the season wears on.
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-14-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Interesting Coach Joe show. A straight shooter as always. At some point guys need to step up there game and execute. If they aren't willing to do that or can't do that then there isn't much a coaching staff can do. I would expect to see improvement as the year goes along. However that's not a given by any means..

Comment

I wrote up a piece on the 3 most recent commitments and also talked through some of Joe's comments from last week's JSH (11/6) about recruiting. I took his point cliffs and went through the primary junior hockey leagues [USHL (0.7 pts/game) NAHL (0.9) and BCHL (1.2)] and took a stab at some potential targets for MTU to get a top flight scorer for next season: https://techhockeyguide.com/2017/11/...ctions-matter/

One of the players I called out was Jasper Weatherby, a 19-yr-old F playing for Wenatchee (BCHL) from Lummi Island, Washington. He committed to UND yesterday which isn't that surprising considering he was probably the top uncommitted forward in the BCHL but Schlossman wrote up a nice piece on him and called out which schools were on Jasper's short list: "...choosing the Fighting Hawks over Boston University, Colorado College, Michigan Tech and Nebraska Omaha." That is a great thing to see even if we didn't win this battle. That's pretty impressive short list to make for a kid of Jasper's quality: http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...sper-weatherby

Let's hope one of the other kids I called out actually does commit.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Does anyone know the status of Steman? Did he make the trip to Alaska? Does anyone know who the extra guys are on the trip? Goalies? I would assume Munson and Kero? Sure hope Tech can play with some energy tonight. I'm sure it is always hard adjusting to the time change.
                          It's going to be tough sledding without taking the majority of points both weekends coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            Does anyone know the status of Steman? Did he make the trip to Alaska? Does anyone know who the extra guys are on the trip? Goalies? I would assume Munson and Kero? Sure hope Tech can play with some energy tonight. I'm sure it is always hard adjusting to the time change.
                            It's going to be tough sledding without taking the majority of points both weekends coming up.
                            Steman made the trip...unless there is a setback, I would expect him to play tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Steman made the trip...unless there is a setback, I would expect him to play tonight.
                              Thanks, that should definitely help! It would be nice to see him start getting on the score sheet. He is probably one of the hardest working players on the team, now just needs to find that old scoring touch!

Comment

Go huskies!!

Comment

Working...
                                X