Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    It's a cop out to blame the refs for this loss. Blaming the refs is just a way not to take responsibility. Sure they might have had an effect but in reality, we put ourselves in the position where the ref could call that. So even if the ref did a lousy job we are still to blame.
    What we need to do is be more disciplined. (This happens way too often.) and we have to be better in the third especially. Everyone needs to be going over to the mirror and taking a real hard look.

It's a tough loss no doubt and frustrating. We have to be better. A win in mankato would have made a world of difference for us down the line.
    normally I would agree with you but last night was the exception to the rule. Going into last nights game MTU was one of the most disciplined Teams in the NCAA. Even after last nights game their still 8th best in the country. The refs blew what should have been a 5 on 3 advantage thatcould have blown open the game for MTU. Then the goalie interference and delay of game penalties were just pathetic. That is a little too much to overcome.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      normally I would agree with you but last night was the exception to the rule. Going into last nights game MTU was one of the most disciplined Teams in the NCAA. Even after last nights game their still 8th best in the country. The refs blew what should have been a 5 on 3 advantage thatcould have blown open the game for MTU. Then the goalie interference and delay of game penalties were just pathetic. That is a little too much to overcome.
      I'm with Shirtless here, I normally agree that blaming the refs absolutely is a cop out and try and refrain from it as much as possible, but in this case the officiating was so poor and their screw ups so bad that they absolutely played a part in the outcome. Do we win without those calls? We don't know and we never will know since the refs decided to insert themselves into the game so egregiously. At the very least we would have had a much better chance at a win or at least a tie if they hadn't made the poor calls they did.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

The refs blew what should have been a 5 on 3 advantage that could have blown open the game for MTU.
        I will be curious to see if Joe discusses this on his show today. I am wondering if there is something we are overlooking. Strange that none of the three coaches on the bench questioned why they were not getting the 5v3 we think Tech should have had.
        Ryan
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
          Obviously i was glad with the win but yes the refs definitely played their part in it. There were calls both sides that were just awful, but tech got the brunt of it in the 3rd. The delay of game penalty in game speed looked legit but the replay showed what it was and your goalie interference should have been a no call either way. It was a hockey play. It happens. Sucks this is our only meeting til the playoffs. See you then.
          I think this is where I am as well. I thought the refs were poor at best for most of the weekend. MSU had some pretty shaky calls against them both nights as well with the Scheid 5-minute, Michaelis boarding and the MSU goalie interference major on Rivera. The thing that put it over the top was the volume of shaky calls against Tech in a very short period of time in the third period. There was a point that I looked at the guy by me and said "no one should be happy with this reffing". It was atrocious. These two refs are usually pretty good, but they had a tough weekend. I'm not sure what would have happened absent the calls at the end, but I'm also not sure what would have happened absent some of the calls earlier either.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Joe said today on his show that the non-5 on 3 was the right call. I still fail to see from reading the rules how that was the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
              Joe said today on his show that the non-5 on 3 was the right call. I still fail to see from reading the rules how that was the right call.
              I asked this of an official I know and initially he said it should have been a 5x3 but upon review stated they got the call right, basically a delayed penalty doesn’t result in an added advantage when a goal is scored while a major penalty is being served. I dont really agree with this but the refs, the WCHA and my source agree now with the call.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I asked this of an official I know and initially he said it should have been a 5x3 but upon review stated they got the call right, basically a delayed penalty doesn’t result in an added advantage when a goal is scored while a major penalty is being served. I dont really agree with this but the refs, the WCHA and my source agree now with the call.
                Which I would be fine with, if somebody could point to the section in the rule book that says that. But at this point it doesn't matter anyways, on to Bowling Green.

Comment

I just hope the team puts it behind them and comes out this weekend determined to stay disciplined and make a statement. If Tech is a strong team, BG should be worried about having to face them at the Mac this weekend. It's time to prove something, boys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    I just hope the team puts it behind them and comes out this weekend determined to stay disciplined and make a statement. If Tech is a strong team, BG should be worried about having to face them at the Mac this weekend. It's time to prove something, boys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    We are terrified.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Nothing has happened in relation to that hit. BTW, the 5er that was called was a penalty (2 minute, no question).
                      Shot: http://collegehockeystats.net/1516/boxes/malhlss1.o30
                      Chaser: http://wcha.com/men/pres1516/201510/oct31wcm.php

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Also, Shane Frederick was really critical of the refereeing on Twitter, and that's something that I don't see him do very often.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          Also, Shane Frederick was really critical of the refereeing on Twitter, and that's something that I don't see him do very often.

GFM
                          I'm not big on it either. A good team can overcome alot of mistakes from referees, but they just seemed to go overboard there at the end of the 3rd period.

Comment

Just listened to the JSH; Coach Shawhan although concerned still sounds pretty confident in his current goal tender. I watched this weekend's goals on WCHA TV, listened to the MnSU announcers and don't feel as confident. The announcers mentioned over and over again how the goal tender never had good control of the puck and gave up a lot of dangerous rebounds. Coach Shawhan seems to be more concerned about the guys in front of the goalie. Obviously Coach Shawhan knows 1000 times what I do about goaltending but from my vantage point I would try one of the other guys this weekend. You can't blame 8, three goal or more games all on bad defensive play, can you? I think the guy may be a good goalie but you need a great goalie to steal a game or two once in a while if you want to be successful. Maybe that's coming but I haven't seen anything to make me real confident.
                            Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• We have a commitment from 20-year-old Janesville Jets forward TJ Polglaze. Perhaps a replacement for Chris Gerrie. Kid's character must be "off the charts" because he's got 4 goals in 56 career NAHL games.

Comment

For those of you attending the November 10th game at the JMSIA against NMU, Michigan Tech is holding a Military Appreciation weekend. They're hoping for a "Camo-Out" in the stands instead of a whiteout or blackout. And maybe more noteworthy - the Huskies will be wearing one-off camouflage hockey jerseys, which will be up for bids during the game with a silent auction. The only way to make a bid is to be in the arena, there are no online bids.

Cue the shot of Ryan both drooling at the jerseys and fuming that he can't be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X