Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I'm still hearing that it will be 12/27 - 12/28. Both the Pistons and Red Wings are out of town those days so that bodes well for the GLI. The arena is not showing any other events booked for those days either. Regardless you would think they would want to get this nailed down sooner rather than later.
    I'm guessing that the team will hang around Detroit and practice there before heading to Vegas regardless of when the GLI is held.
    Ryan J
    I can now confirm at 100% that the GLI dates are in fact January 1 & 2. There will be a WWE event on either December 27 or 28, which will preclude any chance of those dates.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      I can now confirm at 100% that the GLI dates are in fact January 1 & 2. There will be a WWE event on either December 27 or 28, which will preclude any chance of those dates.
      WWE, you have got to be kidding Olympia Entertainment. This better be a one year blunder.

I for one am boycotting the event this year.....
      Last edited by Huskiefan906; 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        WWE, you have got to be kidding Olympia Entertainment. This better be a one year blunder.

I for one am boycotting the event this year.....
        What is the blunder?
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Not going won't help. At the Joe, the GLI was already a 3rd tier event with its existing attendance figures. At the Pizzarena, when you add in the NBA as the 1b tenant, and a whole slew of events & concerts that might've gone to the Palace and will now want to be at the shiny new 20,000-seat venue downtown, the GLI easily gets shunted to last pick of available dates.

It's cliche corpo-speak, but this is a business, not a charity.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            What is the blunder?
            It is a holiday tradition played between Christmas and New Year.
            Relegating the tournament to New Year's Day (one of the biggest sports days of the year) and having the championship on the first day back to work most likely insures no attendance and reducing the tournament to an after thought.
            What a shame! It also fits in so well with the Vegas tourney timing.
            Last edited by Huskiefan906; 08-22-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Relegating the tournament to New Year's Day (one of the biggest sports days of the year) and having the championship on the first day back to work most likely insures no attendance and reducing the tournament to an after thought.
              Too bad the Pistons had to stick their nose into things. The NBA could fold for all I care.
              The GLI use to be traditionally on that weekend after Christmas. The powers that be have now ruined that.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

I might actually go to the GLI again one of these years now that its not at that dumpy ****hole downtown.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                  Too bad the Pistons had to stick their nose into things. The NBA could fold for all I care.
                  The GLI use to be traditionally on that weekend after Christmas. The powers that be have now ruined that.
                  I thought the Palace in Auburn Hills, where the pistons played could be converted for ice? Maybe some competition?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    I thought the Palace in Auburn Hills, where the pistons played could be converted for ice? Maybe some competition?
                    The Palace has been used for hockey in the past. The Vipers played their home games there. If by next year they can't get better dates at the Pizza Place I would love to see it move to the Palace. Better drive for me and better neighborhood...

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                    Truth be told the GLI has been in decline for many years. If you were there during the mid 80s when it was standing room only and setting attendance records you would obviously see it's not the same. It's too bad it's not as big as it once was and a real shame if it goes away. However there are just too many other entertainment options during the holidays now. Plus all the people that head to warmer climes for those two weeks. Just not the draw it once was...

Comment

Moving on from GLI talk. Has anyone heard about a third goalie yet? I know some of the guys were practicing on Monday. Tanner and Hanna were skating with them. Also my source said a goalie was out there that he didn't recognize (but seemed to be playing very well). Any chance we've got the third guy on campus and nobody is announcing it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                        Moving on from GLI talk. Has anyone heard about a third goalie yet? I know some of the guys were practicing on Monday. Tanner and Hanna were skating with them. Also my source said a goalie was out there that he didn't recognize (but seemed to be playing very well). Any chance we've got the third guy on campus and nobody is announcing it yet?
                        Time for another radio show. When?

Comment

I agree. Time for another radio show.

Comment

Unless a graduate transfer that was a starter is the choice for the third goalie, it is Kero or Beydoun.
                            With 2 hours a week practices, how do you get ready for Wisconsin? Coach will know who gives him a better chance to win. I think the choice for the Wisconsin game is the true #1 to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              The Palace has been used for hockey in the past. The Vipers played their home games there. If by next year they can't get better dates at the Pizza Place I would love to see it move to the Palace. Better drive for me and better neighborhood...

Truth be told the GLI has been in decline for many years. If you were there during the mid 80s when it was standing room only and setting attendance records you would obviously see it's not the same. It's too bad it's not as big as it once was and a real shame if it goes away. However there are just too many other entertainment options during the holidays now. Plus all the people that head to warmer climes for those two weeks. Just not the draw it once was...
                              The Palace property will likely be sold and the Arena demolished once all existing contracts are completed. Palace Sports & Entertainment and Olympia are also being combined.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

"Better neighborhood", lol. The Palace is built next to one of the biggest landfills in the area. It's a literal dump surrounded by corporate office parks, in the middle of some of the worst textbook suburban sprawl America has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X