Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    Is coach Shawhan soft on the goaltenders because he was one? Beydoun looked terrible and the OT goal was a result of Munson trying to poke the puck and putting it right on the guys stick. Yes the guy let him walk out of the corner but come on. Munson swept the puck right to the guy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Tech totally outplayed UAA for most of that game and all of the over time. UAA did not deserve to win but I'll take it cause that's hockey.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Is coach Shawhan soft on the goaltenders because he was one? Beydoun looked terrible and the OT goal was a result of Munson trying to poke the puck and putting it right on the guys stick. Yes the guy let him walk out of the corner but come on. Munson swept the puck right to the guy.

Edit: This is in reference to his post game show.

So Munson comes in with Tech down 3-1, shuts the door and allows the Huskies to get back in the game, stops all 13 shots in regulation and OT and gives up one in the 3-on-3, and the coach is supposed to be hard on him? Beydoun is a freshman that had a tough start. Do you want the coach to rip him publicly?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        So Munson comes in with Tech down 3-1, shuts the door and allows the Huskies to get back in the game, stops all 13 shots in regulation and OT and gives up one in the 3-on-3, and the coach is supposed to be hard on him? Beydoun is a freshman that had a tough start. Do you want the coach to rip him publicly?
        No, of course he doesn't,and of course, it's not a good idea to for the coach to say anything, regardless of how trivial, negative about the players. I have watched a number of eastern coaches throw the players under the bus and they quit playing for him after that.

But as a fan I disagreed with the comments that were made saying that he deserved better. He gave up several juicy rebounds on shots that were easy and those all were deposited in our net. So no, but the coach could have just kept quiet about it. He needs, IMHO, to be more circumspect.
        The team worked very hard and could have won, but you can't just blame the goalie. Over and over we turned it over in our own zone, over and over we were sloppy and had those you take it,... no you take it, moments, over and over certain guys, on 2x1 rushes rather than pass the puck, choose to shoot and then miss the net. Over and over it got shot high off the center of the goalies chest instead of off his pads for a rebound.
        I see us getting better, and I'm hopeful we can convert on more of our chances, but it's sometimes difficult.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          My only point is he blamed players in front of Beydoun for his troubles and blamed the forward for the goal in the 3 on 3; either don't say anything or be equally critical of the goal tending.
          Watch the replay of the 3 on 3 goal and you will understand. Should have been a non event.

Comment

Did not expect that, your sputtering will stop and then I wouldn't want to play you guys.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              My only point is he blamed players in front of Beydoun for his troubles and blamed the forward for the goal in the 3 on 3; either don't say anything or be equally critical of the goal tending.
              Watch the replay of the 3 on 3 goal and you will understand. Should have been a non event.

its pretty easy to assume that Shawhan never saw the poke check fail in the way that it did at that moment. We all got to watch in video...his angle isn’t that good.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                its pretty easy to assume that Shawhan never saw the poke check fail in the way that it did at that moment. We all got to watch in video...his angle isn’t that good.
                That's true. I guess I should hold my judgement until he has time to look at it. Problem I'm struggling with is the player he is calling out in one goal against Beydoun and the 3 on 3 goal is a freshman who plays pretty darn well most of the time. There are 4 year guys making colossal mistakes (he is calling them out also) just need to be fair or you'll lose the guys. I think he's gone pretty easy on Munson compared to comments about others. I'm not sure his recent comments about Auk are productive. The last thing I want to see is Auk being afraid to carry the puck because he is getting reprimanded. He can be a huge assett. I'm not sure putting him on the bench will help him. It will just zap his confidence more.
                These are just my observations and opinions, obviously I can go by nothing other than what I see and hear from the coaches.
                Maybe it's just taking me some time to get used to how frank Coach Shawhan is publicly. You know the players listen to this stuff, hope it doesn't bite him somewhere.

Edit - I am mistaken the 2 plays I'm referring to were 2 different freshman D. The numbers looked the same on my phone.

Last edited by rustedblades; 11-19-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

That's true. I guess I should hold my judgement until he has time to look at it. Problem I'm struggling with is the player he is calling out in one goal against Beydoun and the 3 on 3 goal is a freshman who plays pretty darn well most of the time. There are 4 year guys making colossal mistakes (he is calling them out also) just need to be fair or you'll lose the guys. I think he's gone pretty easy on Munson compared to comments about others. I'm not sure his recent comments about Auk are productive. The last thing I want to see is Auk being afraid to carry the puck because he is getting reprimanded. He can be a huge assett. I'm not sure putting him on the bench will help him. It will just zap his confidence more.
                  These are just my observations and opinions, obviously I can go by nothing other than what I see and hear from the coaches.
                  Maybe it's just taking me some time to get used to how frank Coach Shawhan is publicly. You know the players listen to this stuff, hope it doesn't bite him somewhere.

Edit - I am mistaken the 2 plays I'm referring to were 2 different freshman D. The numbers looked the same on my phone.

This is pretty much why I say he needs to be more circumspect. It's really easy to believe he is saying something he isn't, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    This is pretty much why I say he needs to be more circumspect. It's really easy to believe he is saying something he isn't, etc.
                    While as a fan I appreciate the Coach's candor, I have to agree that he is coming dangerously close to throwing players under the bus. However since he's the one getting paid I'll hope he knows what he's doing. Maybe he feels he's out of options and it's the only way to get their attention. I would suggest that he stop referencing Neville, Sturos, and Hanna. We get it. It's starting to sound like making excuses.

His comment about all the missed scoring chances and lack of high end talent had me wondering. While I agree Tech is not the most offensively high end talented group, I don't equate missing wide open nets as being related to high end talent. Not sure why it's happening, but it's been a problem for a couple of years now. Making that point would be that I'm watching last year's Saturday night game against ND and the announcers have already commented on Tech's issues with getting offense from their forwards, and lack of a real PP threat.

Allow me to throw these numbers at you 40-43. That's our goals for and goals against. Surprisingly, the goals for is not out of line with several top teams in the country given comparable number of games played. What stands out is the 43 against. Not even close to good enough, and a good chunk of that I'm putting on the goalies. Too many week goals. But what can you do? These are the guys you have to work with and at the moment I don't see any real improvement happening. (Beydoun: 5 goals on 14 shots if you count that one that was waved off. Not stellar start to his college career)

The turnovers by the D have also suddenly become a problem. Last year I think the coaches would have said we are trying to make the fancy play. And we need to simplify the game.

I think Auk has become enamored with the highlight reel goal just under the crossbar, make the water bottle pop thing. Everything he shoots is six inches over the crossbar. If he gets that down then maybe some one can redirect it. But that high even if some knocks it in it's going to be ruled no goal..

There are enough issues to go around. I hope they figure it out soon.
                    Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 11-19-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I was just about ready to post, asking if Tech planned to ever get the highlights from last night up. And I see that they are now up. If I remember right at some point Dirk said the first goal was a turnover, little too casual play that hit someone's skate and then just made it inside the post, maybe I remember wrong.. from the posted video I can't see it clear enough. So I'll say not as bad on Robbie's part as I was lead to believe, but still not a great goal.

Back to last year's win against ND. Tech's first three PPs yield No shots on goal, Angus has let in a week one, and Sturos missed a grade A that he over handled. Tee'd it up, dusted it off, addressed it nicely, and by then the empty net wasn't so empty... just saying..

Comment

I watched the zambonis, ( both of them) going thru the end board areas with the water full on while already driving thru puddles, lots of sloppy resurfacing this weekend.

Tech flat outplayed UAA in every way, in my opinion. Except goaltending. UAA can stick with a better team and they make their chances count, what little they get. They've done it in four games I've watched live this year. Give them credit and Mantha is just outstanding. I still feel Tech is a really strong team when the bounces start coming our way again.

I love Joes straightforward approach, but I too wish he'd lay off his players a bit more in interviews. As was mentioned we need Auk doing what he does best, yes he needs to know when to go and when to hold, but his ability to rush the puck when he has space is considerable.

Comment

How about someone start a new thread. After all, it is not preseason anymore. It may give us a fresh start. Something with our 98th year of hockey in the title would be good or it it 97th year?
                          Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 11-19-2017, 06:41 PM.
                          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                            ...I would suggest that he stop referencing Neville, Sturos, and Hanna. We get it. It's starting to sound like making excuses.
                            "We don't have Petan, we don't have Kero, we don't have Pietila, we don't have...."

I agree rattling off the list of who we don't have has got to frustrate the players. So obviously coach you don't think we are as good as they are....
                            It also sounds bad when he says "The first year I was here we never had a bad practice." He says that constantly.

I'm also thinking based on the lack of production from the top guys that started strong (Luchinni, Lesperance, Rienke, Auk, Birks, etc) that some how the coaching staff has gotten in their heads. How do so many guys fall off that quickly?

Oh, it's also time to blow up both power plays and try something totally different. It just isn't working. Does anybody know how many PP goals to PP minutes Tech has. That ratio has to be terrible.

I certainly hope I am over reacting like I normally do but it is hard not to.

One more thing, I'd get Kero on the next plane to Alaska if he's healthy which I believe he is (and was).

Comment

I watched Beydoun warm up both nights and he did not look good either night during pregame. To the point that he looked a little rattled just in warm ups. That was just my opinion watching his mannerisms from behind the net. I'm not down on him at all, but he may need some more time.

I was curious why Joe took him on the trip over Kero. I thought Devin has played ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                                I watched Beydoun warm up both nights and he did not look good either night during pregame. To the point that he looked a little rattled just in warm ups. That was just my opinion watching his mannerisms from behind the net. I'm not down on him at all, but he may need some more time.

I was curious why Joe took him on the trip over Kero. I thought Devin has played ok.
                                Kero was hurt.
                                Also it's the early signing period. Do we have any NLI's that can be announced?

Comment

Working...
                                X