Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I thought as the game wore on we played less and less well. Our guys tried hard, but you cannot let BG get the first goal and you have to play better defense against them. I thought our defense as a group was just not all that good. Against these guys, You have to be satisfied to win 1-0. I thought we were better by far in the first, but after that, We didn't win battles for the puck, we weren't first to get to it, we lost face-offs, we failed to cover the guy we were standing right next to and allowed him to shoot the puck from close in, IE, we allowed them to play that heavy, slow, BORING, game they play so well. We did not use our speed to any advantage and we didn't take advantage of the ice on the pp.
    That could have won us the game, but we were just so slow to move the puck to an open man. It's like we had no idea where an open man might even be, And away from the puck we were standing still. It's disappointing for sure. You can't abandon the disciplined, defensive game or the other team will score goals and they did tonight. If we could have gotten to the end and it still be 2-1 we had a chance with an extra attacker, but as it was we shot ourselves in the foot with the mistakes on defense.
    The pp is the key to beating BC next week, so it has got to get better.

So we have to play better. bottom line. It's too bad because some of our game is the best in college hockey, but it didn't show tonight.
    Well said on BG. First goal is everything

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

First things first... Congrats to BG. They aren't flashy, but they played for the most part a mistake free game and their goalie made the saves he's supposed to. And they put the puck in the net when given the opportunity..

Yep, agree what MS said...Tech had by far too many little mistakes. Didn't take advantage of the opportunities they did get (blowing the puck over a wide open net on the PP and that 2 on 1 they didn't recognize until too late come to mind) and once again some pucks in the back of the net that weren't great ones on Beydouns part. Maybe it's time to give Kero another start.

One step forward two steps back with this team, Consistently Inconsistent pretty much sums it up. Hope they can put together a good game and steal one from BC. out in Vegas.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I thought as the game wore on we played less and less well. Our guys tried hard, but you cannot let BG get the first goal and you have to play better defense against them. I thought our defense as a group was just not all that good. Against these guys, You have to be satisfied to win 1-0. I thought we were better by far in the first, but after that, We didn't win battles for the puck, we weren't first to get to it, we lost face-offs, we failed to cover the guy we were standing right next to and allowed him to shoot the puck from close in, IE, we allowed them to play that heavy, slow, BORING, game they play so well. We did not use our speed to any advantage and we didn't take advantage of the ice on the pp.
        That could have won us the game, but we were just so slow to move the puck to an open man. It's like we had no idea where an open man might even be, And away from the puck we were standing still. It's disappointing for sure. You can't abandon the disciplined, defensive game or the other team will score goals and they did tonight. If we could have gotten to the end and it still be 2-1 we had a chance with an extra attacker, but as it was we shot ourselves in the foot with the mistakes on defense.
        The pp is the key to beating BC next week, so it has got to get better.

So we have to play better. bottom line. It's too bad because some of our game is the best in college hockey, but it didn't show tonight.
        Seriously? Slow, boring, game? I saw a team that completely took away what you believe that you do so well and threw it right back into your face by scoring 4 goals. But hey, we didn't beat you, you simply lost.

Good game, btw, but I thought the better team won tonight. The PWR tends to back that up.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
          Seriously? Slow, boring, game? I saw a team that completely took away what you believe that you do so well and threw it right back into your face by scoring 4 goals. But hey, we didn't beat you, you simply lost.

Good game, btw, but I thought the better team won tonight. The PWR tends to back that up.
          you're right you beat us, but it is totally BORING! It's a slow plodding game that I hate to watch.
          Maybe you didn't read my post where I said, we lost face-offs, we got beat to the puck, etc, that's being beat and that's admitting being beat.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 01-02-2018, 09:45 PM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            Beydoun may make us a little nervous but Beef did last year too and nobody was calling for Kero or Wintjes. I don't think Beydoun has done anything to lose the job at this point. 3-0-1 in his last 4 starts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
            Nobody was calling for Kero or Wintjes because they led Tech to a 1-5-2 start. That's why Redmond came in. When he started he was very good. Got more average as he progressed. Neither Munson or Beydoun has ever looked solid despite the results. Kero looked solid in 1.5 of the 2 games he played.
            Beydoun let in a couple soft ones tonight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

you're right you beat us, but it is totally BORING! It's a slow plodding game that I hate to watch.
              Maybe you didn't read my post where I said, we lost face-offs, we got beat to the puck, etc, that's being beat and that's admitting being beat.
              I imagine it is boring when your team loses. BG plays solid defense with good goaltending, When we do that, we win. That is exciting to me I agree that Tech outplayed BG in the first period, but we took it to you in the second and third periods. Just watching the replays on the WCHA website shows that we can play offense as well. Go BG!

Comment

I'm curious to see if Craggs gets a night off from the league office after that head shot on Meek in the third period. That's why collecting the ballots for the all-tournament team at the start of the third period is a risk - somehow this guy got the MVP even after a Carl Racki-type goon shot.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  I'm curious to see if Craggs gets a night off from the league office after that head shot on Meek in the third period. That's why collecting the ballots for the all-tournament team at the start of the third period is a risk - somehow this guy got the MVP even after a Carl Racki-type goon shot.
                  You mean a Dothracki type elbow, .. I give BG credit for being what they are, but if they are so good, why can't they beat Miami or WMU, We just have trouble with them and we have to play better especially defensively to win games against them.
                  As far as BC, they are eminently beatable, especially if you read the column in college hockey news, it's a gimme for them. BC is a skill team and they are really fast. They try to put pressure on the defense and force the defensemen to make mistakes and turn it over where all that offensive skill can be employed. But they are vulnerable defensively, this year especially. They have put the early season woes behind them and are playing fairly well. They beat UCONN 2-0 earlier this week and in games vs other up and down teams such as against BU and Harvard they score a good bit. 4 goals in all of them. But they give up a lot too, especially on the pk. The highest scoring player is Matilla, from Finland, a 5' 10" sophomore defenseman, and the best scoring forward is David Cotton. A 6-3 kid from Texas. We'll see how it goes.
                  Last edited by manurespreader; 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Sorry, here's the CHN column.
                    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Assessing.php
                    It is written by the quintessential idiot, ryan Lambert.

Comment

Just my opinion, but what you're witnessing is 2 teams playing at the same level and speed which appears to you as a slower pace since you're so used to skating circles around other teams and doing whatever you want. If we're beating you to pucks it isn't because we're playing a slower game. Your logic is flawed...

Comment

Just my opinion, but what you're witnessing is 2 teams playing at the same level and speed which appears to you as a slower pace since you're so used to skating circles around other teams and doing whatever you want. If we're beating you to pucks it isn't because we're playing a slower game. Your logic is flawed...
                        well maybe but you appear to confuse quickness with speed.

Comment

Beydoun's rebounds were everywhere last night, he's gotta learn puck control; but he's a freshman. As for pace, the Tech/BG game was definitely faster paced than the UM/MSU game, and BG plays a faster, more aggressive game than State does.

With the exception of the late 1st period goal, I thought we got off to a good start, but really blew it in the 3rd after the disallowed tying goal at the end of the 2nd period. You could tell it really gave BG a boost in 3rd period intensity that we needed to match, and we failed to do that, as they had us pretty well hemmed in for much of that period.

Comment

BG is the better team IMO.
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              He deserved the MVP.
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                                He deserved the MVP.
                                And he deserved 5 and a game. He should have been out accepting in street clothes.

Comment

Working...
                                X