Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
    Don't forget they skated most of the 2nd period without Birks as he was off the ice for awhile after blocking a shot, leaving them with only Auk, Meek, Kiilunen, and Watson on defense, fortunately Birks was able to come back though.
    Forgot about that. Birks got drilled solid and went right down. At first I thought he wasn't going to be able to get up and make it off the ice.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
      Tech fans using ice as an excuse? C'mon. Ice had ZERO to do with the results.
      True statement, but. The announcer was saying that they had problems with the equipment that cools the ice and that there was a lot of standing water and thus snow later on. That hurts a team like Tech more than a team like Ferris.
      I thought Ferris won fair and square and if some guy keeps pulling me down with his stick away from the play we are both going to the box in a short period of time.
      I did see a number of times the puck ten feet away from a tech player and a ferris player with his stick over the tech players stick and neither of them moving towards the puck even one inch. similar to what happens on a face-off.
      So from a refereeing standpoint, I thought it was not called very well.
      Lastly, one of the Ferris assistants said on his interview that Ferris was looking to draw penalties. While I think it's fine for a player to try to draw a penalty,( even though that could be diving) I think for the team to have that philosophy is unsportsmanlike.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Also, Tech leads the WCHA in highest Goals against average.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
          Holding is even a penalty in football.

Unfortunately this officiatting crew struggled mightily.
          Had to laugh, Coach biting his tongue trying not to call them out but he slipped in a couple of jabs saying they probably never played the game, are soft, are city boys?? Strange exchange there. How bout just laying it out there coach; they were terrible. And yes I believe they were a huge factor in Saturday's game. One particular play that sticks out for me is in the third Steman picks up the puck behind the net in FSU zone skates towards boards across top of the circle all the way across the ice to the top of the other circle with an FSU stick parallel to the ice hooking him the whole way. Steman falls, gets right back up and keeps his feet moving. Ref finally calls the hooking but also gets Steman for embelishment. What the heck is that. I challenge anyone to find embelishment in that play. Remind s me of NCAA regionals in Fargo when they made the same type of call on Petan.

I agree with Troll, there was a ton of holding clutching, grabbing, tripping, etc.

I also think the guys may have just run out of gas. They played their tails off Friday might with nothing to show for it and go down by 3 (starting to think this is Munson's lucky number, or unlucky I guess) and you got to battle hard to get back still remembering to play defensively. Pretty tough.

I still say this is a good Tech team. Problem is We don't have Angus Redmond, we don't have Jamie Philips......[emoji23] Funny we still aren't hearing that one. Wish I could be a fly on the wall when it comes down to making goaltending decisions. "Kero just won 2 in a row for us and helped us beat Boston College but we need are guys to learn to face adversity. Let's put the guy in the net that we know will give up 3 and make our guys work for it. They'll learn more that way. After all we don't care about wins and losses, just how are guys play and that they are learning and getting better everyday."

That said I still think this is a good coaching staff in a lot of ways. I can't help but think the coach is struggling to admit he may have made a couple of bad picks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          yep, I got a kick out of that whole city boys part of the interview as well. And the stuff about old time hockey and being able to protect yourself stuff. Couldn't help but smile..

An old time you hurt one of us and we'll hurt two of yours attitude is one this team could use a little of.

I agree, we had a string of very top notch goalies there and this year has been a struggle to find one who will step up consistently.. And I agree that Kero probably deserves the playing time. But I get the feeling Packy is Joe's boy. So he's gonna be the one the rest of the year.

And yea that call on Steman was completely bogus. Laughable, in a sad incompetent way.. easily one of the worst calls they made all night
          Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I also really like this team....it seems that in a lot of their losses, they outplay and outshoot the opponent. The other teams tender makes some great saves and ours let in some stinkers. I'm biased I know, but it just looks like this team is not that far from being a real force, a few more finishes and some timely saves and they could beat anyone in the Wcha on any given night.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I think for the team to have that philosophy is unsportsmanlike.
              I disagree. When I coached, I always stressed to my boys to keep their feet moving. To go hard to the net. To go fast around a defenceman. I told my kids to "make them trip, hook or hold you to slow you down, and we'll make them pay with our PP"

Now, coaching your team to take dives in a whole different approach. One I couldn't disagree with more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                I also really like this team....it seems that in a lot of their losses, they outplay and outshoot the opponent. The other teams tender makes some great saves and ours let in some stinkers. I'm biased I know, but it just looks like this team is not that far from being a real force, a few more finishes and some timely saves and they could beat anyone in the Wcha on any given night.
                As I said before, losing Beef and last year's defencemen hurt this team a lot more than losing Mel. I don't think the coaching staff is losing games.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                  yep, I got a kick out of that whole city boys part of the interview as well. And the stuff about old time hockey and being able to protect yourself stuff. Couldn't help but smile..

An old time you hurt one of us and we'll hurt two of yours attitude is one this team could use a little of.

I agree, we had a string of very top notch goalies there and this year has been a struggle to find one who will step up consistently.. And I agree that Kero probably deserves the playing time. But I get the feeling Packy is Joe's boy. So he's gonna be the one the rest of the year.
                  I find it hard to believe the team can play with any confidence in front of Munson. Promises or not you've nothing to lose by kicking him to the curb. If you're demanding a certain standard of play, work ethic, grit, etc. demand it out of all the guys including the goalie.
                  I recall a play in the 2nd, may have been on a power play even, Munson stops the puck. I think the entire team may have went for a change. Munson looks up ice, there is nobody to be seen. He proceeds to ice the puck for no apparent reason. Then he raises his arms in the air at his own bench as if to say what the h--- are you guys doing. No pressure by Ferris I might add. Strangest thing I've seen in a while?

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    I disagree. When I coached, I always stressed to my boys to keep their feet moving. To go hard to the net. To go fast around a defenceman. I told my kids to "make them trip, hook or hold you to slow you down, and we'll make them pay with our PP"

Now, coaching your team to take dives in a whole different approach. One I couldn't disagree with more.

Like the dive 28 took when Reitmeyer hit him in the 3rd? Camera zoomed in on him and he had a big grin on his face. He started to get up and I think the trainer told him to stay down. Fortunately no call on Reitmeyer but true embelishment!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                      Like the dive 28 took when Reitmeyer hit him in the 3rd? Camera zoomed in on him and he had a big grin on his face. He started to get up and I think the trainer told him to stay down. Fortunately no call on Reitmeyer but true embelishment!

I didnt see the game or highlights. I only know what I'm reading here.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        I didnt see the game or highlights. I only know what I'm reading here.

I think a lot of what Ferris was doing was initial pokes and jabs after the whistle hoping for retaliation calls. I don't think Tech had too many instance where they were forced to hook or hold a guy. Techs penalties were slashing (2), cross checking (3), roughing (1) and Stemans embelishment call.
                        I think the guys were frustrated with Ferris's style of play; which as the Coach has said is the games they struggle in. This is when you need a goaltender to stand on his head and steal one for you!

Comment

And now the scouting report is out. That is how you beat Tech.

Comment

I wouldn’t be surprised if the tournament was decided back when this weekend was supposed to be Houghton and didn’t get switched when FSU and MTU flipped series locations.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                            X