Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
    Every time BGSU does a study or survey of students regarding attendance, the number 1 deciding factor is always who the team they're playing is. It's the sad reality that the casual fan is always more interested in the other team than their own.
    That is understandable if fans do not have the means to attend every home game. If money or factors dictate which game(s) I can attend, I am going to base my choice on the opponent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

I see we have a new recruit. Any information on him?
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I see we have a new recruit. Any information on him?
        First defenseman and first BCHL player to commit with Shawhan as head coach...also, first canadian playing in BCHL to commit since Mitch Meek/Marcus Russell last fall...that hasn't happen a whole lot since Muckalt left. We've been way more focused on americans than BCHL canadians since 2013 (Lucchini, Gould, Jagger Williamson are the only others to commit since November 2013).
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Jake Harrison should be a good one. He had the 4th most goals among uncommitted d-men in the BCHL. Only one has been on the PP with is a good indicator that he can actually score. He's a smaller guy, 5'9, 170. Likely to head to MTU for 2019-20 unless a couple guys leave early.
          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I wasn't able to watch tonight, but Beydoun is giving me Beef flashbacks now.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

You’ve got to be kidding me.!
              For a couple of months I have bought this line that Tech is growing, that Tech is getting better. Blah blah, blah. But the results are not showing that. We have exactly the same crummy result against one of the worst teams in college hockey, as we had several weeks ago. That's not growth if you ask me. I'm ratcheting down my expectations because there is no way we win a game at the GLI with this kind of play.
              Last edited by manurespreader; 12-16-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                I wasn't able to watch tonight, but Beydoun is giving me Beef flashbacks now.
                Beydoun gives me Beef flashbacks every time he comes out to play the puck.

A couple soft goals tonight, but he played well in the shootout.

Comment

You’ve got to be kidding me.!
                  For a couple of months I have bought this line that Tech is growing, that Tech is getting better. Blah blah, blah. But the results are not showing that. We have exactly the same crummy result against one of the worst teams in college hockey, as we had several weeks ago. That's not growth if you ask me. I'm ratcheting down my expectations because there is no way we win a game at the GLI with this kind of play.
                  I was wondering what your response to that game was going to be... Welcome to the Dark Side. Without some serious upgrade in effort, fewer turnovers, D mistakes, and fewer softies it will be a disappointing GLi. While State did have trouble with the U18s last night they have still managed to beat some good teams, or at least play them close. And anyone that thinks Umich doesn't have enough high end talent to beat a team that turns the puck over like crazy and makes avg goalies look like superstars... They are nuts.

LSSU's first goal we had five (FIVE!) gold jerseys in the area. Play poke and hope with the puck. D mistake and a broken stick. They score with one blue jersey surrounded by four gold..

LSSU's second goal fluky off the face off. Dirk and Brent say they never seen it happen before. I have. State Championship game a few years back. Brighton v Catholic Central (CC). Of Course.. Brighton has a 2-0 lead and the face off in their own zone, end of the period with about a second on the clock. Everyone thinks we take a comfortable lead to the locker room.. wrong. CC center shots it right in the goal over the goalies shoulder.. stunned crowd...

LSSU's third goal.. lose the battle on the half wall. Pass goes D to D. Tech winger tries a ridiculous fly by block and ends up ten feet out of the play (exactly the same as UAHs goals against Beydoun in October). Beydoun had a good look at it, but coughs up a rebound.. Weak, Weak, Weak goal.. Hard to get on Beydoun too much. He played well and kept tech in it in the OT.

Tech needs this break. Some of the guys need to take a serious look in the mirror and decide to step up their game..

Comment

We've done enough really good stuff for me at times to be really impressed, but we continue to have brain fade and the goaltending is lousy. I despair the pp will ever be good, I'm frustrated beyond belief about giving up a goal in the last minute of a tough game where all we had to do was protect the puck for one more minute. I think some of our guys are so close to really being a factor in games. For instance, Gould, he is one step from being able to turn the defense. If he could do that, suddenly that line will be going big time. Birks,... has made strides and has improved a lot, but some other guys haven't and they need to. Everyone has to contribute something.
                    And check out the comments by Montgomery about Denver... We can be better than any team in our league but we have to want to be and be willing to sacrifice to get there.
                    Before this series we had an outside shot at an at large bid, but you have to win games and ties vs lower teams will kill you. Now we are going to be lucky to finish forth and that's a bad seeding spot. We have to go on a serious win streak if we want to go further.

Comment

We've done enough really good stuff for me at times to be really impressed, but we continue to have brain fade and the goaltending is lousy. I despair the pp will ever be good, I'm frustrated beyond belief about giving up a goal in the last minute of a tough game where all we had to do was protect the puck for one more minute. I think some of our guys are so close to really being a factor in games. For instance, Gould, he is one step from being able to turn the defense. If he could do that, suddenly that line will be going big time. Birks,... has made strides and has improved a lot, but some other guys haven't and they need to. Everyone has to contribute something.
                      And check out the comments by Montgomery about Denver... We can be better than any team in our league but we have to want to be and be willing to sacrifice to get there.
                      Before this series we had an outside shot at an at large bid, but you have to win games and ties vs lower teams will kill you. Now we are going to be lucky to finish forth and that's a bad seeding spot. We have to go on a serious win streak if we want to go further.
                      Playing U of W tough and winning the Ice Breaker might have messed up expectations. Going into this season, my feeling was we were about a 3rd place team. Now it looks like we will be sitting in 4th. To be fair, we lost over half of our D, a very good goalie, and our grit forwards. Unfortunately, this is looking like what it was looking like at the start of the year, a rebuilding year.

All that said, one thing about this team, they don't quit and fight back. Just when I think they are done, they make it an interesting game. I know that won't win games, but it is a good sign that they are trying to win.

The GLI should be interesting and we have a reasonable chance to win it. If we get one or two bounces that go our way, we can win it.

Comment

This team has been extremely frustrating this year as has been said. There are times they will show flashes of greatness like the Icebreaker and the Friday game against NMU, then the next day they look absolutely terrible, like Saturday at NMU. It really makes it hard to get a read on this team, you will think they finally have something going, like the Alaska series, then lose to Ferris. Then you'll see them give up 1 to Ferris and shutout LSSU and again think they have something going, then what happened on Saturday happens and you question it. Hopefully we find some consistency starting at the GLI.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

So Ford is out for the year and according to Joe, they have a other possible "season ender" on D. Next man up!

Comment

This team lost a lot from last year, but I think another factor is the change in coach. I was expecting it to be more seamless, but even with Joe having been a head coach, it wasn't at the D1 level. I remember Mel saying some things he would've done differently his first year. Joe had a few comments like that this morning, how to better manage getting ready for exams with hockey, leading this team etc. He's going to learn some things his first year as the head coach.

Joe wanted Auk more at forward, but looks like that wont be happening with the D injuries. Hoping for good news on the second D injury that's up in the air.

Sounds like he wants to get Kero back in soon.

Comment

BTW, if we win the GLi and beat BC and NMU out west, we will be at number 19 in the power. Also if we sweep BGSU after Christmas and sweep NMU in the last series we should be in third and maybe even second.

Comment

Based on comments on the JSH this morning it sounds like the coach is still not confident in the goaltending situation. He said he will get Kero back in at some point. I agree with his concern, even though Beydoun has put together a couple of decent games he has still looked shaky at times. I believe playing against some of the better teams he will struggle, especially now that Tech may be down another D man or more. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Kero in net against Michigan State on 01/01/18!

Defensively I was shocked that the coach pulled Killunen for Saturdays game. I thought he had done real well. With the injury to Ford and possibly another D man I would say Killunen should see consistent time. Not sure if any of the other guys are ready. Auk continues to struggle on D so who knows what they will do there.

On the forward side I really like whats going on with the Smith, Baltus, Jackson line but we seem to be back to a one trick pony. Yes the other lines have been scoring a bit but, like Luchinni, Lesperance and Gould in the first 1/4 of the season, Smith, Baltus and Jackson have been the only consistent offense the 2nd quarter. Without a couple of lines going I think this team will continue to struggle. Coach Shawhan seemed to lay a lot of the Luchinni, Lesperance, Gould struggles on Lesperance's unwillingness to play "the right way". Unfortunately without all of the guys pulling in the same direction it is hard to be successful. Coach Shawhan made it sound like he may have to sit some vets down in attempts to give someone else a shot that may be more willing to play the right way. Is Lesperance one of these guys? I know, after watching Lesperance for the last 3-1/2 seasons there is way to much talent there to be in the situation he is in. Even though nothing has been said I think there is something more to his story that is not being shared!?! Injury maybe?

How much of whats going on, or not going on do you lay on the coaching staff? Like mentioned above, is this staff struggling to figure out what the right direction is? Like Coach Shawhan said this morning, based on the progression of some (i.e. Baltus, Smith, Jackson, Steman, Meek, etc.) he feels they are going in the right direction, but the stagnation (if thats what you call it) of others brings about some question. (i.e. Lesperance, Auk and Birks)

Like others on here, I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride. I have very little confidence in this team achieving a home ice playoff berth. Hope I'm wrong.

The Huskies need a good run the 2nd half! Let's go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X