Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Go to Ellis Island before the game. 2 large slices of pizza and 22 oz glass of their own beers for $9.25! I
    Are you serious? Where is it located?
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
      Are you serious? Where is it located?
      Just off the corner of Koval & Flamingo, about a half block south on Koval. There’s also the Stage Door, at Flamingo & Linq on the end of a strip mall. $1 PBR $2 Coronas $3 Hot Dogs (big ones) all day, all night. Ran into a Tech buddy I hadn’t seen since the 90’s there.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        MS, I tend to agree with your game assessments, however this time I'm going to have to disagree. I must have missed that gimmick play you refer to. ASU's first goal came during 4 on 4 play and our player (Steman?) got stripped of the puck at the blue line and couldn't catch the ASU player on the resulting breakaway. He has to recognize the pressure and the fact that he's the last player back and get that puck deep. The second goal was very similar to BG's third goal at the GLi in that it was a nothing play along the rightwing halfboards and never should have ended up in the net. The third goal was like a flashback to the one that went right through Kero's legs at Yost last season. It's hard win games when you are giving up a couple of softies every game and you need the offense to come up with four goals a game just to have a chance.

Far too many mistakes, too many missed chances to clear the zone, too many loose pucks in scrums that we don't come up with, too many passes to the guy in the wrong colored jersey, turnovers, too many missed passes, too many wide open nets missed by a mile.. If in your opinion it's not lack of effort/compete then what is it? Everlasting bad luck? Karma? Lack of skill? Coaching? Systems?

I agree with you 100% about Las Vegas

Should be an interesting Coach Shawhan Show tomorrow..
        You're right. I had the first goal confused with the breakaway with their floater that Kero stopped. The second play started with where Tech had thrown the puck down from our own blue line to the other end and did a wholesale change. The goalie happened to get the puck quickly and rifled it to their left winger who was standing at our blue line and was almost in alone. We stopped him but weren't in good shape defensively and so they did get a good hard shot off, from far out, which we couldn't stop.It was a nothing play but we should never have even allowed the shot to happen except for the goalie doing that. After that AFAIK there were no more wholesale changes and their goalie didn't get an opportunity again. He was credited with an assist on that play.
        I did really appreciate being in the stands with so many knowledgable fans. It doesn't happen in Detroit very often. The Tech fans got on the ref/linesman for things that would have been totally over the head of fans almost everywhere else.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades
          I want to clarify, I don't think the current Tech players are a bunch of clowns. After reading my post again you could read that in to what I said.
          I think Tech has a very talented bunch of players that are as good as any of those names the coach wishes he had. Maybe the coach is the one that needs to man up and admit he may be doing something wrong. Great players don't just turn to non existent players over night. Some of the guys struggling are the guys that led the team for the first month! Maybe till coaching set in, just sayin' .
          Time for a little reflection coach. Are you trying to fit square pegs in round holes?
          I am very interested to hear what the coach has to say tomorrow. I'm feeling more of the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          ooo
          Do you think this year's results would be different with last year's coach? Seems to me like some of the missed opportunities were from bad bounces and some were from poor judgement while some others may have been coaching.

In the grand scheme, how many losses can we pin on the coaching staff? And if it's a learning curve for them, i guess we need to work through it.

Nothing the team could do to prevent a coaching change this year and we would be seeing this with any new staff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades
            My frustration is with the fact that the coach doesn't feel he has any stars on this team yet many of them show unbelievable talent, just not consistently. Continually telling them they are not this guy or that guy can't be helpful. Forget about what you don't have and positively build up what you do have using their talents. Build around their strengths, don't try to make them someone they are not. Best current example is Auk. He will never be Matt Roy but he is extremely talented in his own way. He led the team in points for quite a while. Now he's a 4th line forward with another one of the most talented players on the team seeing limited ice time.
            NHL scouts don't talk to these guys for any other reason than because they have talent. I struggle with any coach that feels they are smarter than someone whose job is to identify talent in the best league in the world.
            Identify their talents and build around them.
            I obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but players usually don't just lose their talent all of a sudden. There is more going on then we see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            i don’t think he’s telling them they’re not as good as these other guys. I think he keeps telling them they need tos two up and fill the shoes because they’re gone. Those are two different things. I do think Shawhan is struggling with a lack of depth to really help push his guys.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

My take-aways from the weekend:

I think BC was the more talented / quicker team however Tech got key chances (penalty shot, lots of power plays, etc) and Tech made BC pay by cashing in multiple goals as a result.
              ASU plays a "heavy game" and they brought it both nights. I think there was more body contact in the first 10 minutes of the ASU-NMU game than the entire MTU-BC game.
              ASU has some skill guys and the best puck handling goalie I've seen in the college in many years. He's certainly a third D-man on the ice.
              ASU's #39 on defense was very quick. On multiple occasions Tech got caught making sloppy passes across the offensive blue line and ASU picked their pocket and were off to the races.
              Tech just dug too deep of a hole on Saturday night and just couldn't catch up. ASU buried their chances and Tech didn't on Saturday night.

I watched both games from between the benches so I heard plenty of what the coaches were saying to the players. In general Joe keeps it pretty positive and tells the guys what he wants to see, rather than telling them what's not going right or what they are not doing. Saturday especially when ASU was bringing the body early on, he kept calling for Tech to match their effort and battle harder. Overall I think Tech just lacks the poise they have had in some past seasons. Watching BC break out of the zone, there is a solid structure to what they do and most passing is crisp, tape-to-tape. Tech seems to want to skate the puck up the ice rather than 2 or 3 short passes while the other guys get their legs moving and get up the ice.

Prior to the weekend I would have picked BC over Tech, NMU over ASU with BC beating NMU and Tech beating ASU on Saturday. I guess that is why they play the games. I'm sure BC didn't look at the tourney in the preseason expecting to come home with two losses (well one loss and one NCAA tie).

As for the tourney operation, overall the rink staff really wasn't ready for college hockey. Everything from not having the nets set in place before Tech came out to warm up Friday night down to not even knowing which team was which. (Penalty called on Tech, announcer reads the name of the BC player with the same number.) Not sure how things run for the Knights games, but I find it hard to believe there would be a 3-4 minute delay between a penalty/goal occurring and when they announced it. In a couple cases, the penalty ENDED before they announced it to the crowd.

T-Mobile is a nice rink (as you would hope all new rinks would be) but is greatly oversized for what the tourney requires. Seating for around 6k would have been plenty. I agree that Tech was well represented in the stands for both games. Hopefully other tourney organizers get the word that Tech travels well and we'll keep getting invites to these sorts of events. Pointless to invite BC. Their fans don't show up anywhere. Even NMU was far more visible in the stands and around town compared to BC.

Ryan
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

I think BC was the more talented / quicker team however Tech got key chances (penalty shot, lots of power plays, etc) and Tech made BC pay by cashing in multiple goals as a result.
                ASU plays a "heavy game" and they brought it both nights. I think there was more body contact in the first 10 minutes of the ASU-NMU game than the entire MTU-BC game.
                ASU has some skill guys and the best puck handling goalie I've seen in the college in many years. He's certainly a third D-man on the ice.
                ASU's #39 on defense was very quick. On multiple occasions Tech got caught making sloppy passes across the offensive blue line and ASU picked their pocket and were off to the races.
                Tech just dug too deep of a hole on Saturday night and just couldn't catch up. ASU buried their chances and Tech didn't on Saturday night.

I watched both games from between the benches so I heard plenty of what the coaches were saying to the players. In general Joe keeps it pretty positive and tells the guys what he wants to see, rather than telling them what's not going right or what they are not doing. Saturday especially when ASU was bringing the body early on, he kept calling for Tech to match their effort and battle harder. Overall I think Tech just lacks the poise they have had in some past seasons. Watching BC break out of the zone, there is a solid structure to what they do and most passing is crisp, tape-to-tape. Tech seems to want to skate the puck up the ice rather than 2 or 3 short passes while the other guys get their legs moving and get up the ice.

Prior to the weekend I would have picked BC over Tech, NMU over ASU with BC beating NMU and Tech beating ASU on Saturday. I guess that is why they play the games. I'm sure BC didn't look at the tourney in the preseason expecting to come home with two losses (well one loss and one NCAA tie).

As for the tourney operation, overall the rink staff really wasn't ready for college hockey. Everything from not having the nets set in place before Tech came out to warm up Friday night down to not even knowing which team was which. (Penalty called on Tech, announcer reads the name of the BC player with the same number.) Not sure how things run for the Knights games, but I find it hard to believe there would be a 3-4 minute delay between a penalty/goal occurring and when they announced it. In a couple cases, the penalty ENDED before they announced it to the crowd.

T-Mobile is a nice rink (as you would hope all new rinks would be) but is greatly oversized for what the tourney requires. Seating for around 6k would have been plenty. I agree that Tech was well represented in the stands for both games. Hopefully other tourney organizers get the word that Tech travels well and we'll keep getting invites to these sorts of events. Pointless to invite BC. Their fans don't show up anywhere. Even NMU was far more visible in the stands and around town compared to BC.

Ryan
                Its my understanding that the staff for this event aren't necessarily the same as the Knights...this tournament was not hosted by any team but a sports commission so the hiccups were to be expected. The worst thing I noticed was that in 2 different "key" moments, the time keeper screwed up on stopping the clock. At the end of the 1st vs BC when MTU was on their 5-min major PP, the timekeeper was about 7 seconds late on stopping to clock after MTU's 5v3 goal and on Saturday something similar happened when MTU was called for icing...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan
                  Afrer an NMU goal on Friday, they played the Tech fight song. Overall, I thought it was a good first step for the tourney, with some of the bumps, bruises and mis-steps that can happen in any new event. But to know the tournament fields are set for the next two years, and nearly set for a third is a sign that MGM & bdglobal are committed to a college hockey event in Vegas.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Afrer an NMU goal on Friday, they played the Tech fight song. Overall, I thought it was a good first step for the tourney, with some of the bumps, bruises and mis-steps that can happen in any new event. But to know the tournament fields are set for the next two years, and nearly set for a third is a sign that MGM & bdglobal are committed to a college hockey event in Vegas.
                    Well, if it's going to be the weekend after New Year's going forward, I can see where that makes some sense. I'm sure they're always looking for events to boost their hotel occupancy until the CES starts (or to bring people in the weekend before, to spend/lose more money).

Comment

I think coach summed it up well today, the goals for the other team are going in easier than for us. I said the same thing in the game vs BG, we had to work like crazy for a shot and they seemed to be getting multiple chances, some off turnovers without having to fight for every chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        I think coach summed it up well today, the goals for the other team are going in easier than for us. I said the same thing in the game vs BG, we had to work like crazy for a shot and they seemed to be getting multiple chances, some off turnovers without having to fight for every chance.
                        At some point it comes down to creating your own breaks. It wouldn't be talking like this if more pucks were put in open opponents nets, more open forwards were covered in front of our net, more sloppy rebounds were covered or cleared, etc...

This team deserves to be in the position it's in, which is fighting for a home playoff series and their only hope for an NCAA bid being three stellar weekends in the WCHA playoffs. I've said all year that this team has talent and potential and if they figure it out, find a hot goaltender and click at the right time, they will be a tough out come playoff time. One can hope, eh?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          They didn’t let on who was being booked, but if it’s an off weekend, I would definitely go back.
                          I read somewhere that Minnesota and North Dakota are playing out in Vegas next year, but thought it was scheduled sometime early in the season. In the Fall was what I read.
                          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                            Which says to me that the defending/ moving out of our end, needs to improve. We need to make them work as hard as we work.
                            Thinking about the third period of the ASU game and the games vs BG, it seems to me that on those rushes where we get the puck out quickly from our own end and don't give them time to get set up we do much much better in getting the puck deep and finding scoring chances. If we sit around, take time, make slow passes, or don't think about what we are trying to do, then the puck gets intercepted, defected, turned over, pick one. Also the forecheck. I don't think it's quite as effective as it has been in the past and so we are letting teams get out of their end too easily.

One more thing about the tournament. Couldn’t the rink have put up shots on goal somewhere? It’s not that hard
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 01-08-2018, 09:31 PM.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I must have been at a different tournament. The one i was at there were just as many BC fans as NMU. just on opposite sides of the ice. There were plenty of BC fans there. Tech had the most organized section of fans for sure. The weather in Boston caused all sorts of travel issues this past week.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

One more thing about the tournament. Couldn’t the rink have put up shots on goal somewhere? It’s not that hard
                                This was strange. I saw a photo from the Rangers - Knights game on Sunday and they had it up. During your game early with BC they hadn't figured out how to put two penalties on the board at the same time, so they were on top of each other. I thought for sure the coaches would go nuts. But the live stats weren't even coming out from what I could see on CHN and USCHO. There were certainly some operation hiccups as you have mentioned. Hadn't thought about the water fountains until you mentioned it. That was odd. But how can I complain when our home rink is still Oceanside. Poor UML fans get to see it first hand this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X