Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Munson, Stauber and Crespi certainly are a great start to the Joe Shawhan era...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Jackson Cates will now be attending UMD. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few more losses over the next few months, with Mel's recruiting mismanagement.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        You know don't be fooled by the apparent lack of serious talk until recently on this site, I think most fans are very excited about the upcoming season and I can say I have very high hopes. I also think the WCHA could get two or possibly three into the tournament.
        I kinda doubt this. Tech has to be one of those teams, right? It would be two or three of [BSU|BGSU|MSU|MTU], with I guess the off chance of FSU or NMU making it through to the Broadmoor. But an upset winner likely knocks you down to, at best, a two-bid league, as the better teams are losing deep into the season and getting hurt in PWR, including whatever good team wins the MacNaughton.

For this to happen, you pretty much need a chalk tournament with two teams solidly in the field as at-large qualifiers going into the playoffs and either your Broadmoor winner being the #3 team or #1 or #2 beating said #3.

And for all of that to happen, teams #4-10 need to not completely suck, especially in OOC play. I haven't looked to see how much the should-be-expected-to-be-bad teams play in OOC and who they play.

GFM <— figures for just one or two bids until we get a fifth team as good as the current top four and get the bottom three teams from being dreadfully bad
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

What really matters is how the WCHA does in OOC games. The conference needs to be .500 or better if we want more than 1-2 teams in.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            What really matters is how the WCHA does in OOC games. The conference needs to be .500 or better if we want more than 1-2 teams in.
            Yep. We'll know in the first 2-3 weeks of the season how the league will fare.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Jackson Cates will now be attending UMD. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few more losses over the next few months, with Mel's recruiting mismanagement.
              heh, I noted this on twitter and Mel blocked me on there. Confirmation of what people know about his over recruiting at Tech.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                heh, I noted this on twitter and Mel blocked me on there. Confirmation of what people know about his over recruiting at Tech.
                For a supposed good coach he sure was horrible at managing recruiting. Hopefully he ****s up at Michigan too.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  For a supposed good coach he sure was horrible at managing recruiting. Hopefully he ****s up at Michigan too.
                  I think part of Mel's problem at Tech was that he over-hedged his bets on players leaving early - he probably didn't expect to get 4 years out of both Cliff Watson and Shane Hanna.

His style will probably work fine at MI, with the early departures they tend to get.

Comment

The Keegan Ford story

Comment

I call BS. No player has ever caught Mike Eaves' eye with his offensive prowess.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about the season. Mel had his most success once Joe came on staff so that could definitely be a sign that Joe was one of the big catalysts behind it, but you never know what will happen when there is a coaching change. Joe seems to have surrounded himself with a very strong support staff that I am very excited about, both Brooks and Steward are accomplished in their own rights and have strong backgrounds so I think there is a strong foundation laid that can bring success, but like I said, you never know what will transpire so I do have that bit of caution there as well.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Without knowing any of the relevant facts, it seemed Packy Munson was active with the team even though he couldn't play. If there had ever been any question, after Jaillet won the Richter, Packy would have been competing for the backup position, not the starter. Have a feeling that could have been what happened at Vermont. Senior goalie returning and highly regarded freshman coming.

Hope Packy gets to play and help you win some hardware.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Without knowing any of the relevant facts, it seemed Packy Munson was active with the team even though he couldn't play. If there had ever been any question, after Jaillet won the Richter, Packy would have been competing for the backup position, not the starter. Have a feeling that could have been what happened at Vermont. Senior goalie returning and highly regarded freshman coming.

Hope Packy gets to play and help you win some hardware.
                            With Vermont, the only thing I can speculate looking at their roster & stats from that year, is that he felt he had played his way into being the full-time starter, and Sneddon didn't agree since he had Lekkas coming in. It seems plausible to me that he jumped to Denver figuring that Jaillet would sign after this past year, and then he'd be the experienced goalie on a loaded team with 3 years of eligibility left. Since Jaillet didn't leave the pros, Munson had to jump again to try and get ice time.

Regardless, you're right to say that he's now looking at a very similar situation at Tech with a lauded freshman coming in, so the pressure is on for him. Especially since he hasn't played in a game in over a year.

Comment

So the goalie depth chart just got pretty interesting.

Is this Kero's last year with Tech?
                              Munson gets 2 years eligibility?
                              Is Beydoun still likely number 1?

Let's get September over with......

Comment

The former Tech coach clearly wanted to pick one guy and ride him. We don't know how Joe will handle the net. Being a goalie himself, I'm sure he is well aware of how to manage who is between the pipes and when to make a change (permanent or temporary).
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X