Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
    ...and he complained about our league office's inflexibility in making non-conference dates work.
    Unless something changed this year, the conference has always left it up to the schools to work out swapping dates and such. They send out a tentative schedule and leave it up to the schools to swap and trade dates.
    Last edited by BGDrew; 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM.
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Very good JSH today. Unlike several on here he gave the team a lot of credit for battling through a tough game on Saturday. Said when they made mistakes they recovered well.

As I said in an earlier post I think the coaches are doing a good job with the team and now the coach has praised the hard work of the guys.

For those that thought they played badly on Saturday the team gave up 9 scoring chances. That's pretty good defensive hockey. Unfortunately too much of what they're giving up is still going in.

Kinda hoping they stick with Kero, maybe a little partial to the home town kid, I think if he stays in he can build some confidence and lead the team to a strong finish.

The key is they won the kind of games the coach said they struggle with. It wasn't pretty but as coach has said continuously, they won't be pretty games.

I like this team. They need a strong finish now!

Go Huskies!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
        Every time Ferris State comes up, Joe mentions how Tech has to adapt to their "very small rink." Maybe it just seems that way because of the low ceiling, but it's 200' x 85' with 28' corner radii, just like every NHL rink.
        I'd still dispute the dimensions, but I think they actually lengthened the ice surface in their last round of renovations in 2008 to get it up to standard. It is still, however, the only arena in D-1 (and the only one I can actually think of) with both benches AND the penalty box on the same side of the ice. That gives Ferris a huge glass wall to chip pucks to their hearts content without sending them out of play, furthering their brand of anti-hockey.

Comment

I'm headed to Ferris for the first time this weekend to see their "Rinky Dinky Rink". I'll be doing photography for Tech Hockey Guide Friday night, but taking a rare opportunity to actually sit in a seat and watch a game from the stands on Saturday. I'm also planning to attend the alumni social on Saturday before the game. I'm sure I'll have some beat to heck game worn jersey on so don't be afraid to come on over and say "hi".

Ryan
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            I'd still dispute the dimensions, but I think they actually lengthened the ice surface in their last round of renovations in 2008 to get it up to standard. It is still, however, the only arena in D-1 (and the only one I can actually think of) with both benches AND the penalty box on the same side of the ice. That gives Ferris a huge glass wall to chip pucks to their hearts content without sending them out of play, furthering their brand of anti-hockey.
            The low ceilings also give it a smaller feel and often come in to play when flipping a puck in or out of the zone. If I remember correctly it is pretty easy to hit the ceiling, which stops play.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              I'm headed to Ferris for the first time this weekend to see their "Rinky Dinky Rink". I'll be doing photography for Tech Hockey Guide Friday night, but taking a rare opportunity to actually sit in a seat and watch a game from the stands on Saturday. I'm also planning to attend the alumni social on Saturday before the game. I'm sure I'll have some beat to heck game worn jersey on so don't be afraid to come on over and say "hi".

Ryan
              Correction: You will take a rare opportunity to sit in the bleachers to watch the game on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                I'm headed to Ferris for the first time this weekend to see their "Rinky Dinky Rink". I'll be doing photography for Tech Hockey Guide Friday night....
                Be sure to get some photos of their secret weapon, a.k.a. the Studio Rink.

Comment

Watching that Mankato game last night, to me the most effective thing they did was win face-offs down the stretch. Over and over again they got control of the puck in their end and worked it down to the other end. And they really kept Duluth from getting very many shots. I think it was 14 for the whole game.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Watching that Mankato game last night, to me the most effective thing they did was win face-offs down the stretch. Over and over again they got control of the puck in their end and worked it down to the other end. And they really kept Duluth from getting very many shots. I think it was 14 for the whole game.
                    I know I'm a homer on this, but I really think C.J. Suess should be getting strong Hobey consideration. He came to Kato as a forward, and has converted to center and is now our rock on faceoffs. He's over 57% on the season, and he is used in EVERY key faceoff, whether 5 on 5, PK, or PP, and all the time down the stretch. Couple that with over a point a game scoring, his 2 year captaincy, and his team being in the top 10 nationally, I think it's hard to ignore him for top 3.
                    Jaremko was also very good on faceoffs last night, and is up over 52% on the year.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      2018–19: Minnesota–Duluth, @Clarkson
                      I definitely see myself attending both of these series, depending on the dates.

Comment

I have two concerns going forward. How is this new transfer rule going to affect us and what’s the league going to look like in 5 years . Both of them could become issues

Comment

Well, two things could happen. First is we lose a good/rising player or two a year who want to play in HE, NCHC, or B1G and/or we lose bench players or guys who don't feel fully utilized. That said, we could see guys want to come to Tech from the bigger schools who want more playing time. IMO, it really depends on the agents and teams that drafted said player. If they like a coaching staff and feel the player is progressing, they won't move them. There could be "bigger" teams (U of Mi) who over recruit and tell a kid to play a year for a LSSU and they will let them know when they (U of Mi) are ready for them.

I think your LSSU, UAA, UAF, UAB,... will still struggle, teams like Tech, MnSU,... will be fine with a little more player movement year over year. Where it will really sting is when a "money school" go on a rebuilding campaign like Wisconsin recently did and instead of loading up on new recruits, will be trying to recruit from WCHA, AH,... teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            Well, two things could happen. First is we lose a good/rising player or two a year who want to play in HE, NCHC, or B1G and/or we lose bench players or guys who don't feel fully utilized. That said, we could see guys want to come to Tech from the bigger schools who want more playing time. IMO, it really depends on the agents and teams that drafted said player. If they like a coaching staff and feel the player is progressing, they won't move them. There could be "bigger" teams (U of Mi) who over recruit and tell a kid to play a year for a LSSU and they will let them know when they (U of Mi) are ready for them.

I think your LSSU, UAA, UAF, UAB,... will still struggle, teams like Tech, MnSU,... will be fine with a little more player movement year over year. Where it will really sting is when a "money school" go on a rebuilding campaign like Wisconsin recently did and instead of loading up on new recruits, will be trying to recruit from WCHA, AH,... teams.
                            Bingo! I think it's bad for college hockey in the long run. I see Michigan has their 33ed recruit signed up this week. maybe if they try they can get the entire USHL to commit. that would ensure their winning something. maybe. Wisconsin is just as bad and you are seeing now kids decommitting from wisconsin. I think the whole thing is just like lucia's move to limit older players. it's another thing to give money schools an advantage. Now every smaller school, even like Duluth will have to spend significant resources to keep kids.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 01-25-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Bingo! I think it's bad for college hockey in the long run. I see Michigan has their 33ed recruit signed up this week. maybe if they try they can get the entire USHL to commit. that would ensure their winning something. maybe. Wisconsin is just as bad and you are seeing now kids decommitting from wisconsin. I think the whole thing is just like lucia's move too limit older players. it's another thing to give money schools an advantage. Now every smaller school, even like Duluth will have to spend significant resources to keep kids.
                              I disagree with the reason. This is a giant push back on coaches having all the power and $ in college sports. They can leave but players are stuck. Players should have more freedom to leave, but I'm not sure how it will play out. It may end up being bad, but that doesn't make it less valuable in improving things for the players.
                              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-25-2018, 01:58 PM.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Bingo! I think it's bad for college hockey in the long run. I see Michigan has their 33ed recruit signed up this week. maybe if they try they can get the entire USHL to commit. that would ensure their winning something. maybe. Wisconsin is just as bad and you are seeing now kids decommitting from wisconsin. I think the whole thing is just like lucia's move to limit older players. it's another thing to give money schools an advantage. Now every smaller school, even like Duluth will have to spend significant resources to keep kids.
                                There is only so much ice time. Right there will keep the college landscape fairly consistent. Even now there are players like Packy who are on team #3 in 3 years. More than likely there will be more guys who are moving around looking for ice time, but I don't see it being more than 20-30 guys across all leagues. It would benefit players like Ford who get pushed out at a bigger school, essentially by no fault of their own, not having to fight for their eligibility and lose a year of game time.

Comment

Working...
                                X