Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Yeah, the paycheck is bigger in the Big 10.
    Jan Brady Syndrome
    Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Ah well thanks anyway. I got an Uber for 10 bucks so it wasn't too bad.

Now i'm about to say something that some people won't like I guess. I heard that someone asked the coach on the radio show why the Wisco goalie wouldn't turn pro. He said maybe he didn't get offers he liked. I bet he did. But I can guess why he stayed, and it's not a graduate degree.. Money is why.
      Is it possible he got paid somehow. Is it possible some one he knows got paid who, kind of like Cam Newton, has no relationship with him but somehow the money finds it's way over. This kind of thing happens a lot in other college sports and it's common knowledge.I think it's happening here too. There is tremendous pressure to win at wisconsin and they have gotten some unbelievable recruits and things done in a short time. Kind makes you wonder how that happened. Unless it was simple. Money.
      Wow, that's a bit of a reach.

The guy is smart. He graduated with degrees in Business and Economics. He did so from a respected school that isn't know for being a "diploma factory" for jocks. I think it was a decision based purely on those 2 degrees.
      Situation #1 - He goes pro after his third year. He did really well at St Lawrence. He was one of the best players in his conference, which most would say is the 4th best conference in the NCAA. He proved that he was good against decent competition. He gets an OK payday.
      Situation #2 - He transfers for his 4th year. He goes to a school with a much larger presence in both NCAA and NHL circles. He plays in what most would consider the 3rd best conference (possibly moving up to 2nd best) and gets games against NoDak and BC. If he can show that he is able to change environments (new city, new school, new facility, new coaches, new teammates, new schemes) and still be successful that would make him much more valuable to the professional market. If he shows that he is capable of sustained success, one year later he gets a much larger payday.

So yeah, I think it was simple. I think it was the money, but not in the way that you describe it.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        A couple of things....I don't think there necessarily had to be any under-the-table dealings to get Hayton. I think he's already a known quantity, can only benefit from another year to mature, and the likelihood of having another strong season with the Badgers is high. If I were his advisor, I'd tell him to take another year if he can find a really strong program, as he'll turn pro with even higher stock. Although I'm not huge fan of Wisconsin, they're not a bottom feeder in terms of NCAA compliance. If they wanted to go that way, they could easily drop their foreign language requirement, as it excludes a lot of recruits.
        I agree and was writing pretty much the same thing at the same time

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Oh, come on. We can all get behind getting idiot Badger fans riled up!
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Dammit!... you guys totally nailed it. Hayton turned down a pro contract and approached UW about coming over because he heard he could get a free pair of sneakers from the local shoe store. I can't believe you figured it out! Especially after the last FB coach quit because Admissions wouldn't bend and slip his recruits in under the table. He knew UW certainly could never compete with that kind of nonsense to contend with... Man I thought we were covered after that...

The question is ...what is it going to take to just keep this all just between us? I mean I'm not suggesting anything, but let's just say I know where there's half a case of Bucky can koozies and 6 pairs of cardinal and white skate laces that could easily be... er... misplaced...

Cabin fever crazy is setting in a little early this year in the UP.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                Dammit!... you guys totally nailed it. Hayton turned down a pro contract and approached UW about coming over because he heard he could get a free pair of sneakers from the local shoe store. I can't believe you figured it out! Especially after the last FB coach quit because Admissions wouldn't bend and slip his recruits in under the table. He knew UW certainly could never compete with that kind of nonsense to contend with... Man I thought we were covered after that...

The question is ...what is it going to take to just keep this all just between us? I mean I'm not suggesting anything, but let's just say I know where there's half a case of Bucky can koozies and 6 pairs of cardinal and white skate laces that could easily be... er... misplaced...

Cabin fever crazy is setting in a little early this year in the UP.
                I'll keep my mouth shut if you buy me a beer if we ever meet in person.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think these guys may be on to something and would love to hear some suggested dollar values that these schools are shelling out.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I'll keep my mouth shut if you buy me a beer if we ever meet in person.
                    Since Bucky eeked out the win this last week, let's say you guys just win something like your next 25 games, and you have a deal!
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I thought the 2nd and 3rd periods were good by Tech, too many missed nets at one point in the 2nd. The non-conference games are so important for the PWR.

Any takeaways for people from Joe's show?
                      I thought it was interesting to hear we were one of the first to be recruiting Weissbach with some ties Joe has and while he played for Muckalt in USHL. But the contact by UW and their recruiting got him to UW.
                      Also sounds like Joe will get some others into the lineup, saying Evan ANderson deservers a chance and some other skaters and goalies.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        wasn't Wisco involved in some kinda of free shoes from a local store for the hockey team way back?

No free shoes
                        . Some football and basketball players were involved. In 2000, a very popular shoe dealer about 20 miles from Madison was offering discounts. To this day, I receive discounts up to 40% for being a repeat, and frequent, customer and I have never attended UW. They were publicly reprimanded and I believe the football team lost a few schollies the next year. Nothing free and nobody WAS or IS getting paid like manurespreader insinuates.

His handle says it all.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Yeah, the paycheck is bigger in the Big 10.
                          Being a Michigan fan, you're school would know.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Being a Michigan fan, you're school would know.
                            Who's a Michigan fan now?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Regarding all these Wisconsin fans. You know guys all that is exactly, almost word for word, what Auburn fans said too.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Ah well thanks anyway. I got an Uber for 10 bucks so it wasn't too bad.

Now i'm about to say something that some people won't like I guess. I heard that someone asked the coach on the radio show why the Wisco goalie wouldn't turn pro. He said maybe he didn't get offers he liked. I bet he did. But I can guess why he stayed, and it's not a graduate degree.. Money is why.
                                Is it possible he got paid somehow. Is it possible some one he knows got paid who, kind of like Cam Newton, has no relationship with him but somehow the money finds it's way over. This kind of thing happens a lot in other college sports and it's common knowledge.I think it's happening here too. There is tremendous pressure to win at wisconsin and they have gotten some unbelievable recruits and things done in a short time. Kind makes you wonder how that happened. Unless it was simple. Money.
                                You’re right. Someone at Wisconsin offered him over $500k to play one year in college instead of pro hockey. Give me a break.

This is a pretty haphazard thing to post, not to mention irresponsible. This straddles the line of libel, to be honest.
                                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X