Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
    I say Tech will lose two more players and looking at there list it's getting a little thin.
    compared to what it was...thats fine, we don't want to get stuck with the **** mess that Mel left for Joe to clean up again.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

If a coach leaves, a player can be asked to be released from his LOI. Most schools grant the release rather than having a player on the team that doesn't want to be there.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I'm going to take a wild guess that Mel and the UM compliance department know the NLI rules far better than I do or anyone else here. Even Tech Hockey Guide seems to think Pehrson had an out. And they're usually pretty accurate.

http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...017-and-beyond
        I wrote that...the answer is that he asked for his release and it was granted...the question is did he ask for his release before or after speaking to Mel and Michigan.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          compared to what it was...thats fine, we don't want to get stuck with the **** mess that Mel left for Joe to clean up again.
          If Joe was the recruiter for the team with Mel, then he's also to blame. I remember seeing Joe and Billy in a bar in Minnesota and we were talking recruiting. And Joe bragged how many guys they had offers out there to. He said If we get them all, big deal but if we get one then that's great for us. Mel did wonders for Tech and you guys turned on him so fast.

Comment

I say Tech will lose two more players and looking at THEIR list it's getting a little thin.
            The good news it is only about three weeks until the Huskies and their "thin" roster head down to Madison to thump the Badgers on their own ice in front of a half-full Bi6(7) crowd. Can't wait.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I remember seeing Joe and Billy in a bar in Minnesota and we were talking recruiting. And Joe bragged how many guys they had offers out there to. He said If we get them all, big deal but if we get one then that's great for us.
              Yeah, I'm taking this little anecdote posted by a likely troll account with a huge grain of salt...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Yeah, I'm taking this little anecdote posted by a likely troll account with a huge grain of salt...
                I need some tequila and lime to go with all the salt this anecdote requires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Mel did wonders for Tech and you guys turned on him so fast.
                  No, the majority of the sentiment is due to the professed love for Michigan. If there is one hockey program I cannot stand it is Michigan.
                  I will always appreciate what Mel did for Michigan Tech, but he has chosen his path. We support our team.
                  Go Huskies..... We all realize his heart was there and in someway we were a stepping stone to his new job, but don't get all righteous on us.
                  How would you feel if Granato left for North Dakota or Minnesota?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I wrote that...the answer is that he asked for his release and it was granted...the question is did he ask for his release before or after speaking to Mel and Michigan.
                    Thanks for the clarification.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Hey Badgerice... Talk to anyone around Houghton or on these forums. No one turned on Mel. He did wonderful things for MTU hockey while he was here and is very well respected, but this is a new season and he is not the MTU coach. He is now the coach of a team that many on these forums have disliked long before Mel was there and will continue to dislike while and after he is gone. We had a recruiting mess when he left that either: A) Mel would have had to deal with if he stayed or B) The new coach would have to deal with. Joe very well COULD have been part of the recruitment mess, but he IS the one that dealt with it.

Now, it isn't surprising that some of Mel's recruits want to go play for Mel and I agree that there probably was tampering to a degree, but ultimately that is a huge grey(try to prove it) area for the NCAA. You may know better than me since you know his family, but my assumption is Pehrson probably was told he would have a spot at UMICH by someone before he asked to be let out of his LOI (tampering) or he asked to be let out of his LOI cause he didn't like Joe (which I doubt). Either way, If he didn't want to be at MTU then good for him and I hope he has a great hockey career.

Lastly, I will finish by saying that MTU has their new head coach and we are behind him 100%. The Mel days are over. I refuse to cheer for UMICH and that means their head coach by default. Mel will always be loved in Houghton, but it is a new day in MTU hockey and we are gonna cheer for what is best for our program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        No, the majority of the sentiment is due to the professed love for Michigan. If there is one hockey program I cannot stand it is Michigan.
                        I will always appreciate what Mel did for Michigan Tech, but he has chosen his path. We support our team.
                        Go Huskies..... We all realize his heart was there and in someway we were a stepping stone to his new job, but don't get all righteous on us.
                        How would you feel if Granato left for North Dakota or Minnesota?
                        If NMU is having this conversation about a possible Potulny move to Minnesota, I'll be very happy. It would be a very strong signal that goals have been achieved, just the same way I'm thrilled for Joe. He left NMU for a better opportunity that turned into a head coaching job. Wish him nothing but the best.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          If NMU is having this conversation about a possible Potulny move to Minnesota, I'll be very happy. It would be a very strong signal that goals have been achieved, just the same way I'm thrilled for Joe. He left NMU for a better opportunity that turned into a head coaching job. Wish him nothing but the best.
                          I hear you, but Michigan is Michigan. If Mel left for State, not the same level of distaste for his new team.
                          Last edited by Huskiefan906; 09-07-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                            I hear you, but Michigan is Michigan. If Mel left for State, not the same level of distaste for his new team.
                            So true. As a noted anti-Mich fan, I certainly can see that. As big a win as it was was for Mel & Shieldsy to beat UM in the GLI, a win over the Ann Arbor college this year may be even bigger for the Tech fans!

Comment

I just quickly scanned the thread and didn't see it, but I probably missed it. I am working on getting the non-conference schedule for the league typed up so I can follow it during the year and am wondering if the first round matchups for the GLI have been announced?

Thanks!
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

They played the Skunkheads last year so they will play State this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X