Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Yes, I did. The MTU vs NMU games were full, so was Winter Carnival. Outside of that, the place was dead.

On a side note, what section are Tech fans sitting in for the BGSU games coming up?
    Typically they end up with seats on the right side as you go in. I personally hate those seats and i'd rather sit on the other side. So I buy them there. Personal preference of course. There is an alumni gathering before Saturday's game, and you can get tickets via them if you so choose.
    I also noticed that BC was very close to tying the game last week with 1.8 seconds left. The rebound bounced over their stick at the last second.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Hey Techies - I'm headed to Houghton this weekend for the Alaska series. Hoping for a fun time. I have a couple of game pucks with me if a fellow collector is interested in trading. I have a couple of fresh ones from the current year, as well as a game played puck from the CCHA days with me. Should be a fun weekend - hoping for a good series and seeing what Houghton is all about.
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
        Hey Techies - hoping for a good series and seeing what Houghton is all about.
        If you like Fairbanks, you'll enjoy Houghton. It should be a bit warmer, a bit more snow, but still a smaller town feel. Houghton has become a pretty well sorted, self-sufficient oasis in Michigan's UP. You don't even have to drive to Marquette to get Taco Bell anymore. If you need it, Houghton has it now. Enjoy the trip.
        Ryan
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Hey Techies - I'm headed to Houghton this weekend for the Alaska series. Hoping for a fun time. I have a couple of game pucks with me if a fellow collector is interested in trading. I have a couple of fresh ones from the current year, as well as a game played puck from the CCHA days with me. Should be a fun weekend - hoping for a good series and seeing what Houghton is all about.
          Visit KBC for beer, and The Ambassador for pizza, both in downtown Houghton.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            As a Hancock native, I strongly second those recommendations! Don’t forget breakfast at the Suomi! Enjoy the Keweenaw!
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I'm traveling with several Misfit alumni -- I think I'm in for a good time. Both of these spots, as well as davyd83's suggestion for Suomi is on the agenda. Bringing some Alaskan and West Coast beers for the group too.
              Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm traveling with several Misfit alumni -- I think I'm in for a good time. Both of these spots, as well as davyd83's suggestion for Suomi is on the agenda. Bringing some Alaskan and West Coast beers for the group too.
                To me the number one thing to do would be to visit the little museum at the Dee stadium in Houghton. Lot's of old hockey memorabilia on display. And I do mean old. And the AE Seamen rock collection is good even if you don't like Geology.

Comment

I just listened to latest JSH, rewatched some of the most recent pre game, intermission and post game interviews and I am more con cerned than ever about the future of Tech Hockey.
                  One positive, if you could call it that, coach finally admits goaltending has cost Tech as many as 5 wins.
                  The coach seems to really dislike this team. Unlike Pearson who always "liked" his team, was bullish on his team, Coach Shawhan struggles to find much good to say. Thinks the only way to "fix" the team is to recruit guys that play like LSSU, that play like BGSU, that play like UAA, etc.
                  He states the former recruiting was built more around skill. Funny Mel was able to coach skill players to play against everyone. I believe, unless I'm a total idiot, most of the top programs recruit skill. If Tech is heading towards clog it up, slow it down, grind it out hockey that's very disappointing.
                  Top coaches coach their skill guys to win against anybody. Time to step up Coach and figure out how to win with what you got and quit thinking about what you thought you had or wish you would have recruited. You said yourself Techs scoring chances are up and chances against are down from last year. Sounds like the team is better. Time to Coach to win. Time to get them excited instead of continually telling them they are not good enough.
                  A lot of what is being said negatively about the players may fit the coaching staff as well. Are they out of their league as well?
                  Just struggling with all the negativity. Maybe it's time to turn off the interviews. Sure missing Pearson now. At least he was positive.

I think this is a very good team that has lost some confidence due to some tough losses that I would blame on goaltending more than poor play. I watched almost every game and this is a very exciting team to watch. I personally don't want to see the style of play change. I think trying to be more positive and excited about what you've got would go a long way towards building confidence and winning more consistently.
                  Last edited by rustedblades; 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what rustedblades said. I think this is a really good team with less than average goaltending. Not saying they are good enough to be number one in the wcha right now, but there have been quite a few losses that I felt like at the time were due to some soft goals.

One thing I'll disagree with is that I didn't take what he's said to mean he was looking to recruit players that play like UAA or bgsu, just that the guys needed to step up the compete to counter the shutdown types of games those teams play. I too am tired of the negativity, his feelings might be correct, but airing them continually has got to take a toll on the morale.jmho...

Comment

I'm more optimistic than you two gentlemen are. I figure a couple of things. There is a lot of pressure to win. You have to get used to operating under pressure. It's his first year, he's going to learn a lot and get a lot better. There's no question about his hockey knowledge, and his skills in teaching. I like the assistants and I think they are generally a lot better than the assistants of previous few years. I think, just as I would for anyone else in any organization, that criticism should be constructive and in private and praise should be in public.
                      I think we suffered recruiting wise because of the persistent rumors about Pearson leaving hurt our recruiting efforts the past few years.Now that we have someone more permanent it should get better again and I think we are already seeing the results of that.
                      I'd personally like to see more skill, and more speed. I'd like to see a lot of things but i'm going to be patient too.

Comment

Watch this, tell me what you think. Watch for details, want to see if others see and hear the same things I do.

https://www.flohockey.tv/video/60832...boston-college

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          I just listened to latest JSH, rewatched some of the most recent pre game, intermission and post game interviews and I am more con cerned than ever about the future of Tech Hockey.
                          One positive, if you could call it that, coach finally admits goaltending has cost Tech as many as 5 wins.
                          The coach seems to really dislike this team. Unlike Pearson who always "liked" his team, was bullish on his team, Coach Shawhan struggles to find much good to say. Thinks the only way to "fix" the team is to recruit guys that play like LSSU, that play like BGSU, that play like UAA, etc.
                          He states the former recruiting was built more around skill. Funny Mel was able to coach skill players to play against everyone. I believe, unless I'm a total idiot, most of the top programs recruit skill. If Tech is heading towards clog it up, slow it down, grind it out hockey that's very disappointing.
                          Top coaches coach their skill guys to win against anybody. Time to step up Coach and figure out how to win with what you got and quit thinking about what you thought you had or wish you would have recruited. You said yourself Techs scoring chances are up and chances against are down from last year. Sounds like the team is better. Time to Coach to win. Time to get them excited instead of continually telling them they are not good enough.
                          A lot of what is being said negatively about the players may fit the coaching staff as well. Are they out of their league as well?
                          Just struggling with all the negativity. Maybe it's time to turn off the interviews. Sure missing Pearson now. At least he was positive.

I think this is a very good team that has lost some confidence due to some tough losses that I would blame on goaltending more than poor play. I watched almost every game and this is a very exciting team to watch. I personally don't want to see the style of play change. I think trying to be more positive and excited about what you've got would go a long way towards building confidence and winning more consistently.
                          Except Pearson's bull**** recruiting is what ****ed up this team in the first place. I'll take Shawhan over him anytime, at least he seems to have some idea how to recruit a balanced roster, without having to hang several kids out to dry. I do not think Shawhan wants to stop recruiting skill players. Look at the forwards he's gotten to commit since he started, they're not low-skill players. He just wants more balanced players, and a more balanced roster that can play a skill game when needed, and can also bang it out with a team that clogs it up if that type of game is needed.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Except Pearson's bull**** recruiting is what ****ed up this team in the first place. I'll take Shawhan over him anytime, at least he seems to have some idea how to recruit a balanced roster, without having to hang several kids out to dry. I do not think Shawhan wants to stop recruiting skill players. Look at the forwards he's gotten to commit since he started, they're not low-skill players. He just wants more balanced players, and a more balanced roster that can play a skill game when needed, and can also bang it out with a team that clogs it up if that type of game is needed.
                            Other than over recruiting are there players on the team now that you think should not be here? Again, I think this is a very good team that lacks confidence and if you watch the clip I posted may not be having much fun. And this is against a very good team that Tech beat. How was the bench in the ASU game.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                              Other than over recruiting are there players on the team now that you think should not be here? Again, I think this is a very good team that lacks confidence and if you watch the clip I posted may not be having much fun. And this is against a very good team that Tech beat. How was the bench in the ASU game.

I think the quality of forward recruits was lacking the last several years of Pearson. Goaltender is an issue too, but I can't place blame on anyone for that, because no one expected Redmond to go early.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just a few thoughts...

Coaching:
                                It's Joe's first year as HC at this level, a learning curve is expected. I like what he's doing. Are we seeing the results we'd like to see? Not yet but I think the long-term outlook for the program is good.

His assistants are new to the program, none of them have ever coached together and they are new to D1. They are also
                                coaching a bunch of kids they had no part in recruiting. Again, a learning curve is expected.

Players:
                                Although Joe had a part in recruiting some of these kids, they came to Tech to play for Mel. I'm guessing there had to be some thoughts in their heads when Mel bolted for Ann Arbor and left them behind. (I'm not saying they'd go with him but what message does Mel send when he'd rather coach a different group?)

I understand what some have said about Joes comments, but he has a room full of kids that were told for 1-4 years that their coach "liked this team" and tjen walked out on them.

Joe just has a different style than Mel. I don't know if he was the same way as an A.C. and the players know what to expect from him or if he changed his approach.

Bottom line, as I've said many times, I think this team is right where they deserve to be. I ask myself if they would be in a different situation if Mel, or anyone else for that matter, were behind the bench. I think there might be a couple more Ws but I don't think their spot in the WCHA or Pairwise would be much different.

My final thought is that the team was hurt more by the departure of Angus Redmond than the departure of Mel Pearson.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X