Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
    On BG's website it shows 1/1 - 1/4. It doesn't say it's tentative but...
    Well the tourney is certain not to last four days and none of those are good for attendance. They need to get it back in December. I guess it is a small positive that they haven't announced the dates as being in Jan. Hopefully they are still battling to get the tourney played in Dec as usual.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Well the tourney is certain not to last four days and none of those are good for attendance. They need to get it back in December. I guess it is a small positive that they haven't announced the dates as being in Jan. Hopefully they are still battling to get the tourney played in Dec as usual.
      Ryan
      Considering Tech plays an afternoon games vs BC on Jan 5...
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Blake Pietela is in Cedar Rapids and on the line chart for tonight. He is not currently on the 30 man roster however

Comment

• Originally posted by BGFan View Post
          On BG's website it shows 1/1 - 1/4. It doesn't say it's tentative but...
          Those dates are just placeholders.
          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - New Jersey Talk

Since coach let the Husky out of the kennel during his last radio show that there will be a new jersey design this season (Scout's honor I did NOT send in that question) I figured I would follow up on what coach discussed. I was really hoping that Tech would get their new Husky logo on this ice this season, but that doesn't seem to be the plan. I think Tech has some nice new logos to work with and over the summer I threw together a concept jersey just for fun. Maybe next season we'll see something like this...

What appears to actually be in the works for this season is a throwback jersey design based on the 1932-33 season. The jersey below on the left is displayed in the JMSIA, on the upper level behind the suites. If you've never had the chance to walk up there, I highly recommend it. There are some very rare Huskies jerseys on display. Anyway from what I have heard and seen, the new jersey for this season will be a very close match to that 1932-33 design. The most noticeable changes being that the white stripes will be more of a cream color and the neckline will be a modern V-cut. (If they were going to change up the neckline, I thought a lace-up style might have been a better fit.) The jerseys should be supplied by Reebok as they have been since 2012 however they may now be branded as CCM to better align with the rest of the player gear which already displays CCM branding.

Until we actually see them for the first time you can regard this all as hearsay, but hopefully the US Hockey Hall of Fame game vs Wisconsin would the logical place to pull them out for the first time. (The last time Tech had the honor of opening the season with the USHOF game vs MN, they designed and wore the throwback jersey on the right.

Tick-tock, tick-tock... just days away now.
            Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Since coach let the Husky out of the kennel during his last radio show that there will be a new jersey design this season (Scout's honor I did NOT send in that question) I figured I would follow up on what coach discussed. I was really hoping that Tech would get their new Husky logo on this ice this season, but that doesn't seem to be the plan. I think Tech has some nice new logos to work with and over the summer I threw together a concept jersey just for fun. Maybe next season we'll see something like this...

What appears to actually be in the works for this season is a throwback jersey design based on the 1932-33 season. The jersey below on the left is displayed in the JMSIA, on the upper level behind the suites. If you've never had the chance to walk up there, I highly recommend it. There are some very rare Huskies jerseys on display. Anyway from what I have heard and seen, the new jersey for this season will be a very close match to that 1932-33 design. The most noticeable changes being that the white stripes will be more of a cream color and the neckline will be a modern V-cut. (If they were going to change up the neckline, I thought a lace-up style might have been a better fit.) The jerseys should be supplied by Reebok as they have been since 2012 however they may now be branded as CCM to better align with the rest of the player gear which already displays CCM branding.

Until we actually see them for the first time you can regard this all as hearsay, but hopefully the US Hockey Hall of Fame game vs Wisconsin would the logical place to pull them out for the first time. (The last time Tech had the honor of opening the season with the USHOF game vs MN, they designed and wore the throwback jersey on the right.

Tick-tock, tick-tock... just days away now.
              Ryan J

Nice work on the concept jersey. I think a silver & black jersey would be awesome.

I was hoping that this season's new jersey would be a throw back to the Michigan College of Mines jersey. Guess I have to keep pushing that..

Comment

word is the line of Lucchini, L'Esperance, and Jackson is looking really good in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                  Nice work on the concept jersey. I think a silver & black jersey would be awesome.
                  I just thought the neutral silver color really makes the new logo stand out nicely. I don't recall that Tech has ever had a silver jersey either.

Historical Trivia - When Tech opened the 1993-94 season wearing the white arched "Michigan Tech" throwbacks, it was the first time the Huskies wore something other than the traditional script "Huskies" on the front of their jerseys since...? I don't know the answer, but it had been decades, maybe dating all the way back to when the team was first named the Huskies? I would love to know the answer to this question.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    The jerseys should be supplied by Reebok as they have been since 2012 however they may now be branded as CCM to better align with the rest of the player gear which already displays CCM branding.
                    Adidas Group is currently divesting CCM. It would be likely that newer jerseys may sport the Adidas name like the NHL rather than Reebok as they've moved out of the hockey business.
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I hope they never put that new godawful logo on a hockey jersey.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If they've already put it on the outside of the building, it's not IF, but WHEN, it goes on the jerseys.
                        Ryan J

Comment

It's hockey season!
                          THG is Back, with a new look and new content. We hope to have new content every day from now til the season starts.

Oops, and more new content.
                          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 09-18-2017, 01:13 PM.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Some questionable analysis from THG in their Forwards Preview article, I'd say.

The Huskies struggled to generate scoring chances so losing the team leader in shots – Heinonen – leaves a hole that must be filled.
                            Agreed on the first part, but I think the important indicator is plus/minus, and Heinonen was a team-worst −9 in that category, which equates to a lot of time in the defensive zone. It was Neville and Sturos who ran away from the forward pack in this category, at +22 and +18, respectively. (Jackson and Leibinger were next at +8.) You gotta have the puck to create scoring chances, and Neville and Sturos were the best on last year's team for chasing down pucks. They are going to be very hard to replace.

I feel like a broken record after saying this an unspeakable number of times last year, but Joel L’Esperance needs to finally break out. Now a senior, he must be the leader of this offense.
                            Well, he did lead the team in scoring last year. More consistency would indeed be welcome, but I wonder what kind of numbers the writer is expecting. I would be surprised if L'Esperance exceeds 35 points this season.

I expect [Gavin Gould] to break out in a big way, eclipsing 20 goals after potting 12 in only 33 games last season.
                            Since Chris Conner scored 25 goals in 2003–04, only Tanner Kero has scored 20 goals in a season (scoring exactly 20 goals in his senior season). That means Kero didn't score 20 goals in three seasons, and Alex Petan and Blake Pietila never did. So I'm not going to expect anyone on this roster to score 20. Oh sure, someone could if everything goes right, but it would be a big surprise.

Dylan Steman [is] likely to see an uptick in both playing time and responsibility.
                            Steman got plenty of playing time when he was healthy, but he hasn't been healthy for a year and a half. Or if he really was healthy at any point last year, then he's no longer the player we thought he could be. That's what often happens to players who fight through chronic injuries. It's possible he has genuinely put the injuries behind him, but until that's been demonstrated, I'm expecting about 0.33 PPG like he had last year.

With Austin last year [Justin Misiak] averaged a point per game (25-35-60 in 60 games) which naturally creates high expectations.
                            Scoring a point per game in the NAHL doesn't mean much on its own. Look at the top 10 scorers in that league from the past few years and see what they're doing now. Only about 20% of them are having a big impact at the D1 level. Or you could ask Trevor Cope, who scored 0.9 PPG in his 20-year-old season in the NAHL, only to be told by Mel to get lost. Now, Shawhan has been talking up Misiak – particularly his speed – so it's possible that he will see regular shifts as a freshman. But on the basis of never getting a shot at the USHL, my expectations for him are not that high.

And then...

[Marcus Russell] picked up 25 points in 28 games with Topeka last year, which resulted in him getting the call to play 34 games with two teams in the USHL. He performance up there was nothing to write home about (8 points total), however. This suggests to me that he won’t be a regular in the lineup this season.
                            Russell puts up the same kind of NAHL numbers as Misiak (which merits "high expectations," remember), but since he didn't do much in the USHL, those expectations are negated? Misiak may well be a better player than Russell, but since I don't get to see any of these players until they're in a Huskies uniform, I can only correlate past players' numbers with their trajectories and try to apply that to this year's freshmen. It looks like that's what this writer is trying to do too, since I didn't see anything that looks like original scouting, but I think he's overlooking too many factors to generate meaningful projections.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              It's hockey season!
                              THG is Back, with a new look and new content. We hope to have new content every day from now til the season starts.

Oops, and more new content.
                              Coming from the guy down the road who grew up on Tech hockey, thanks for putting out one of the best blogs in college hockey. Terrific insight & information!
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I hope they never put that new godawful logo on a hockey jersey.
                                Our new blacks. #mtuhky #FollowTheHuskies https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/90...527299/video/1

They didn't listen to you but the rest is freaking amazing.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X