Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

I think we would have to disregard the performance on the 5-min major at the end where Tech's goal was simply to play keep away (and almost botched that). In spite of the three PP goals, they need to do a better job of quickly changing the point of attack. Duluth was making some nice passes through the box which resulted in Munson moving quite a bit in net. I didn't really see that from Tech.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Tech is 15 in the USCHO Poll, 13 in USA Today

A couple of my notes from Joe's show:
      Misiak was arguably was our best forward overall in terms of execution
      Future non-conference is set next year: UMD early, tentatively going to Clarkson in Nov and GLI, Notre Dame is scheduled a few years out
      Interesting notes on team leadership and the current leadership trying to develop some others for the future
      No questions about Gerrie though.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post

A couple of my notes from Joe's show:
        Misiak was arguably was our best forward overall in terms of execution
        Future non-conference is set next year: UMD early, tentatively going to Clarkson in Nov and GLI, Notre Dame is scheduled a few years out
        Interesting notes on team leadership and the current leadership trying to develop some others for the future
        No questions about Gerrie though.
        I never did specifically ask about Gerrie or anyone else but I was told by one person that everyone is "healthy" as far as he knew.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post

Future non-conference is set next year: UMD early, tentatively going to Clarkson in Nov and GLI,
          This is exactly what I want to hear!

Clarkson is a far trip to the North Country but would be a great one if you can make it.
          Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Lost two best D from last year plus it's starting goalie?

Sounds familiar to Huskies fans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Plus 60% of our scoring from last year and including 3 of our best offensive players.
          Originally posted by Arafel View Post
          Not from this NCHC writer. Duluth however, lost its two best D from last year plus its starting goalie. I think Tech is very good, and will likely compete for the WCHA crown, possibly an at-large. I don't think the result had anything to do with Duluth being tired, but I don't think Duluth is as good as last year's national runner-up.

Also, I do remember last year's Icebreaker. Denver hosted, and lost to OSU and then BC in the consolation. Sometimes teams take time to gel.
          UMD isn't as good as last year and Tech is good...it's not that huge of an upset. But it will be the best win in your pairwise.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Will be good to see Duluth in Houghton again. And I will have to start planning for the trip to Potsdam. It's almost like Tech reads these boards and has seen the demand...

EDIT: Google Maps says the drive, using Canada as a shortcut, is 7:45. Could plan some vacation time and combine it with stops in Canada.
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-09-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Will be good to see Duluth in Houghton again. And I will have to start planning for the trip to Potsdam. It's almost like Tech reads these boards and has seen the demand...

EDIT: Google Maps says the drive, using Canada as a shortcut, is 7:45. Could plan some vacation time and combine it with stops in Canada.
              One year, ( 1970?) Tech was in the NCAA's in Lake Placid.The rink is not there any more, it was left over from the 32? olympics. Me and a couple of other guys drove all night, thru Sudbury, Ontario, to get there and arrived about 10 am game day.. We got a motel guy to rent us a dirty room for the three of us for the afternoon. Crashed in the one bed for 4 hours, then got up and went out to the ski jump and looked around before the game.( that ski jump is gone now too) Met Dean Meese there at the rink standing next to John MacInnes.. We were driving my 1962 Dodge Dart, push button automatic, two speed. One of our guys was a white guy with an afro. His nickname was predictable, the bushman. Anyway customs detained us for some time at the border.
              Tickets could be had at the door for about 8 bucks and there were plenty of empty seats. The rink held maybe 3000 people. Anyway Tech was the first game vs Clarkson and we lost on a very bad call by the official, who called back the tieing goal by mistake. A picture of the mistake was featured on the cover of a number of publications subsequently.
              Cornell was in the second game, beat whoever they played,( Denver?) and beat Clarkson in the final. Ken Dryden in nets.
              Last edited by manurespreader; 10-09-2017, 08:23 PM.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I did a game at Cheel Arena last season. Nice barn, and strangely enough they have a "Let's Go Tech" sign up. You'll feel right at home.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1zFczrqHzLxd3JMcFlkMTg1VFE/view?usp=drivesdk
                Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 10-09-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  One year, ( 1970?) Tech was in the NCAA's in Lake Placid.The rink is not there any more, it was left over from the 32? olympics. Me and a couple of other guys drove all night, thru Sudbury, Ontario, to get there and arrived about 10 am game day.. We got a motel guy to rent us a dirty room for the three of us for the afternoon. Crashed in the one bed for 4 hours, then got up and went out to the ski jump and looked around before the game.( that ski jump is gone now too) Met Dean Meese there at the rink standing next to John MacInnes.. We were driving my 1962 Dodge Dart, push button automatic, two speed. One of our guys was a white guy with an afro. His nickname was predictable, the bushman. Anyway customs detained us for some time at the border.
                  Tickets could be had at the door for about 8 bucks and there were plenty of empty seats. The rink held maybe 3000 people. Anyway Tech was the first game vs Clarkson and we lost on a very bad call by the official, who called back the tieing goal by mistake. A picture of the mistake was featured on the cover of a number of publications subsequently.
                  Cornell was in the second game, beat whoever they played,( Denver?) and beat Clarkson in the final. Ken Dryden in nets.
                  1970, per CHN. Lost the consolation game to WI. Dryden's eligibility was exhausted by spring 1969 though. He stayed an extra year to finish his degree, then joined the Habs' farm team.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    1970, per CHN. Lost the consolation game to WI. Dryden's eligibility was exhausted by spring 1969 though. He stayed an extra year to finish his degree, then joined the Habs' farm team.
                    Ok, well, must have missed that. I paid very little attention after we lost to Clarkson. I remember the game being pretty even and Tech outplaying them in the third. On the way home we slept on some guy's basement floor who was a student at St Lawrence, which until that minute we had never heard of.I can also say that Sudbury is not the most scenic of cities.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      I did a game at Cheel Arena last season. Nice barn, and strangely enough they have a "Let's Go Tech" sign up. You'll feel right at home.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1z...w?usp=drivesdk
                      Having just returned from a trip to the North country, I can confirm a "Let's go Tech" sign as well as cheer at Cheel Arena.

Fade, I suggest going if you have a chance. My group made it into a hockey themed trip. We drove to Toronto Thursday night, went to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto Friday morning, spent a few hours right when it opened, and got to the North Country in time for Friday night's game. Saturday morning/afternoon we went to Lake Placid and toured some of the Olympic facilities, including, of course, the 1980 hockey rink. Back to Potsdam for hockey Saturday night. Drove back to MI Sunday. Took about 9 hours. Traffic in and around Toronto is awful.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

The early season fun road trips are probably going to be a no-go for me, except for some relatively close ones. Need to keep the calendar clear for harvest in Oct-Nov for, like, the next 30 years.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Go huskies!!!

Comment

Chris Gerrie is no longer on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Chris Gerrie is no longer on the roster.
                              Interesting, wonder what the story is there.
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Good one tonight, this team has a lot of fight and get after it ........

Comment

Working...
                                X