Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    how about the rink from ' playing with fire ', the one man show now playing in Montreal? Its 80 Canadian (10 USD) so the fan could bring his family
    Don't the rinks have to be in the US?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Don't the rinks have to be in the US?
      No. We have no desire to be like that "other" tournament.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        No. We have no desire to be like that "other" tournament.
        Then why aren't all five of the locations international?

ETA: Also, doesn't the concept of US teams playing abroad increase exposure? Look at the Friendship Four...
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          While the Committee has always enjoyed the hilarity of undersized rinks, an exhaustive (i.e. ~30 second) Google search reveals that hotel and rink are too highly rated to be worthy of hosting a BFB regional.

I believe this might only be a roller skating rink (very common in the Deep South). Does the Committee have an opinion on players wearing rollerblades in lieu of ice skates?

If there are no qualms about that, this turd looks quite suitable for the South regional.
          I have no problems.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Then the BFB South Regional shall be in Elba. In-line rollerskates will be used, however ice hockey rules will apply, so it will be 5x5, with a vulcanized rubber puck, and checking will be allowed.

Still taking bids for the East regional.

Comment

rookie mistake, forgive him!
              Yeah, my bad, as I have been hanging around these threads for years and should have remembered that no outdoor rink rule. It just seemed that Fort Kent, Maine, would be so perfect for logistics.

Comment

Not to cause controversy but according to Google the West regional in Ouray is outdoors:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0442...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Yeah, my bad, as I have been hanging around these threads for years and should have remembered that no outdoor rink rule. It just seemed that Fort Kent, Maine, would be so perfect for logistics.
                  Well then, if the west can have an outdoor rink (Ouray), then ****it, so can the east. Let me dial up the lawyers and getJackie Chile's on this!
                  Last edited by blazer777; 11-16-2017, 02:41 PM.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Definitely a good idea, though. Yes, there's proximity to Canada, but the committee has been known to overlook that, especially with St. Lawrence Centre hosting a while back.

Madawaska's not too far away, and that one's an indoor "multi purpose center"... No pictures of the inside, but there's not much parking on the outside... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mu...f9ef5673a9078b

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                      Well then, if the west can have an outdoor rink (Ouray), then ****it, so can the east. Let me dial up the lawyers and getJackie Chile's on this!
                      Okay. You want outside? We will have adverse weather to go with it. Flag, you know people who can engineer foul weather. We need at least heavy rain in Ouray and at least high winds in the East.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        Okay. You want outside? We will have adverse weather to go with it. Flag, you know people who can engineer foul weather. We need at least heavy rain in Ouray and at least high winds in the East.
                        Put the east up on top of Mount Washington. We can get the snow stage operators to go on strike so the teams have to walk up the mountain road. Wind snow, cold, logistics issues... What could be better?
                        Last edited by blazer777; 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM.
                        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Put the east up on top of Mount Washington. We can get the snow stage operators to go on strike so the teams have to walk up the mountain road. Wind snow, cold, logistics issues... What could be better?
                          I spend a lot of time in the winter/spring above treeline in the Whites, and I can testify that the iced up parking lots on the summit Mount Washington can be wicked bumpy, fractured, and pitted; perfect for the eastern regional.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Still taking regional bids. Looking for a West regional especially.
                            If nominations are still open, may I offer up for considerations:

The Red River Valley Fairground's Schollander Pavillion. Yes, this fine rodeo and livestock arena used to be home to West Fargo, ND, youth hockey (before they moved into a facility with such boisterous and gaudy things like actual concrete with cooling pipes under the ice). Yes, temporary cooling mats on the rodeo dirt served as the chill plant for the ice. I'm sure they could find the old boards and mats to host such a prestigious tournament.

https://redrivervalleyfair.com/wp-co...-Pavillion.pdf

And mentioning rodeo and livestock arenas that used to host hockey, allow me to please also offer up the North Dakota Winter Show Building in Valley City. This fine facility seats 5000! Again, it no longer hosts hockey for the same reasons as above as they moved into a facility with actual concrete with cooling pipes under the ice AND heat in the locker rooms. Here also were chilling mats on dirt for an ice plant.

Additionally, yes, fine members of the selection committee, the rink/arena is merely the east half of the building. The west portion is permanent corrals for livestock ... except when they pull in trailer houses (without heat) to serve as locker rooms. And yes, or is it no, there are no shower facilities in the trailers. The charm of this arena? Wondering if the smell in the locker room is coming from outside the trailer, or if it's just your defensive partner not having access to showers. Need more to convince you? No. Glass. You read that: No glass, just 8 foot tall chicken wire from dot to dot around each end; 4 foot boards everywhere else.

https://northdakotawintershow.com/wintershow-about.php

Signed,
                            A guy who played games in both in bygone days

PS and late edit: If these facilities do not meet your strict criteria I believe each in their early operations did not even have chill mats on dirt. No, fair reader, they put poly over the dirt, sprayed water, opened the doors, and let that North Dakota in January feeling in to make ice. I'm sure they'd offer that if given hosting responsibilities. That said, ponder ice quality in early April in an all-steel building when it's mid-70s outside. (It was "raining" in the NDWSB for one game I played there because the steel interior ceiling was still cold enough to condense humid outside air coming in.)
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 11-17-2017, 04:57 PM.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Us at the Committee office couldn't be happier over some of this weekend's results. Wisconsin lost?

Comment

• Your auto bids after November:

Sacred Heart
                                Michigan
                                St. Lawrence
                                Merrimack
                                Colorado College/Miami (tie will be decided by Timcat, my delightful orange tabby)
                                Anchorage
                                Arizona State

Comment

Working...
                                X