Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Neither of the Alaska teams made it into the "Far Too Early SHOTS Predictions"? Impressive.
    They are 7 and 9, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    They are 7 and 9, respectively.
    6-16:

6. UAH
    7. UAA
    8. Maine
    9. UAF
    10. Holy Cross
    11. Colorado College
    12. Army
    13. UMass
    14. Dartmouth
    15. AIC
    16. NMU

Just so you know, there is no computer, there is no objective rankings system. We have no desire to be like that "other" tournament.

6-16:

6. UAH
    7. UAA
    8. Maine
    9. UAF
    10. Holy Cross
    11. Colorado College
    12. Army
    13. UMass
    14. Dartmouth
    15. AIC
    16. NMU

Just so you know, there is no computer, there is no objective rankings system. We have no desire to be like that "other" tournament.
    Does anyone else want to take a stab at SHOTS?

Re: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

I will just add that the former SHU home the illustrious Milford CT Ice Pavilion is looking for March rentals. SHU's 200 fans are now wallowing in an 8000 seat arena in Bridgeport, but ironically are not the hosts for the 2018 D-1 Hockey regional there. Yale and Fairfield University (no hockey team) are the co-hosts.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
    I will just add that the former SHU home the illustrious Milford CT Ice Pavilion is looking for March rentals. SHU's 200 fans are now wallowing in an 8000 seat arena in Bridgeport, but ironically are not the hosts for the 2018 D-1 Hockey regional there. Yale and Fairfield University (no hockey team) are the co-hosts.
    We'll take it under consideration. Any links or pictures?

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017

The Baraga County Fairgrounds building in Pelkie, Michigan has made a back channel approach to receive consideration as a host site.

The facility features natural ice, complete with small tadpoles and fish embedded in the rough ice surface. With no Zamboni within 20 miles, the ice is resurfaced by first dry scraping by the fans themselves, followed by a flooding with water from the adjacent Sturgeon River. There is no heat anywhere inside the pole barn style building. Locker room facilities would be in the 4-H show barn next door, utilizing the animal stalls.

Media headquarters would be in the local one room schoolhouse, which would double as a team hotel since there are no other places to stay within 15 miles.

Should the NCHC receive an auto bid, possibly taking a spot from a more deserving Atlantic Hockey or WCHA team?

We already had this debate a few years back. Yes, they get an autobid. They're better than everyone else, so it stands to reason that their worst team is better at sucking than everyone else.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

We already had this debate a few years back. Yes, they get an autobid. They're better than everyone else, so it stands to reason that their worst team is better at sucking than everyone else.
    Then what I will do is put them at 15-16 in SHOTS with an (auto bid) note.

Great thread! Hottest on the Board right now, for sure!

The committee will be taking suggestions on venues until January. Right now, we're going with Fade's idea of the Futile Four in Louisiana, unless someone can top it.

The committee will be taking suggestions on venues until January. Right now, we're going with Fade's idea of the Futile Four in Louisiana, unless someone can top it.
    Does it have to be in the USA or would Nepal qualify?.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Does it have to be in the USA or would Nepal qualify?.
    The BFB committee certainly can't afford to fly teams anywhere. So I would think all tournament sites must have bus access from the United States. Note, I didn't say convenient bus access.

I think the only Futile Four ever held outside of the US was at some mall rink in Mexico City, and IIRC we lost a participating team that year who never made it back to the States.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

The BFB committee certainly can't afford to fly teams anywhere. So I would think all tournament sites must have bus access from the United States. Note, I didn't say convenient bus access.

I think the only Futile Four ever held outside of the US was at some mall rink in Mexico City, and IIRC we lost a participating team that year who never made it back to the States.
    Last season. Michigan State's goalie never made it back.

Adding to the aura, Terry Nichols was from the area.

I think I've found a good prospect for a BFB Midwest Regional bid - Huron County Expo Center & Ice Arena in Bad Axe, MI. However, the clock is ticking. The next year or two is probably their last shot at a bid, before a newer, far too ritzy facility is constructed:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/a...na-9150076.php

http://huroncountyview.mihomepaper.c...ice_arena.html

Key selling points:

1. At 70x190, the rink is nicely undersized

2. The ice plant is a decade past its EOL date, and is currently being held together with spit and glue. It could go tits up at any time.

3. Unlike other areas of the state, Michigan's thumb is not all that into hockey. Huron County is also the least densely populated county in the southern Lower Peninsula.

4. There is no media/TV/radio setup in the rink, so the ability to deliver any sort of traditional game broadcasts will be restricted. In 2017, regardless of venue, the committee may need to consider methods of preventing social media broadcasts, as Facebook and YouTube Live continue to become increasingly popular mediums. Is there some way the BFB could use its influence to have BFB tournament games auto-flagged as inappropriate content on Facebook and YouTube? Or perhaps the committee could pay some Russians to hack and temporarily disable the cellular services within the local areas of the chosen sites?

Point Barrow, AK?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/magneticnorth/2746522518/

I played club hockey in the mid-80s at Carnegie Mellon. We traveled to West Virginia University for a weekend, the rink was open on three sides. And the local culture (which I'm sure could catch on) involved fans who stood behind the visiting goal and spit over the glass onto the opposing goaltender. I suggesting looking into this venue.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Could've sworn we had the BFB West Regional in Barrow at some point in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by model94 View Post
    I played club hockey in the mid-80s at Carnegie Mellon. We traveled to West Virginia University for a weekend, the rink was open on three sides. And the local culture (which I'm sure could catch on) involved fans who stood behind the visiting goal and spit over the glass onto the opposing goaltender. I suggesting looking into this venue.
    However, WVU's sweater game strong.

*******http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09.jpg********

*******http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9.jpg********

(I hope that this board is now high tech enough to have images. Most of the players in the NCAA, even at Merrimack, were born after AOL cd's were a thing)

Should the NCHC receive an auto bid, possibly taking a spot from a more deserving Atlantic Hockey or WCHA team?
    of course, if they suck, they suck. Some of those high fullutin teams need to see how the other half lives.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Thread Information