Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Early season predictions for the best of the worst?

For this year, instead of the PWR, we will be using SHirtless Opinions on Teams that Suck, or SHOTS for short.

In my view, a State or a Color are front runners..
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Early season predictions for the best of the worst?

For this year, instead of the PWR, we will be using SHirtless Opinions on Teams that Suck, or SHOTS for short.

In my view, a State or a Color are front runners..
    Also taking suggestions for venues.
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Re: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

I think I've found a good prospect for a BFB Midwest Regional bid - Huron County Expo Center & Ice Arena in Bad Axe, MI. However, the clock is ticking. The next year or two is probably their last shot at a bid, before a newer, far too ritzy facility is constructed:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/a...na-9150076.php

http://huroncountyview.mihomepaper.c...ice_arena.html

Key selling points:

1. At 70x190, the rink is nicely undersized

2. The ice plant is a decade past its EOL date, and is currently being held together with spit and glue. It could go tits up at any time.

3. Unlike other areas of the state, Michigan's thumb is not all that into hockey. Huron County is also the least densely populated county in the southern Lower Peninsula.

4. There is no media/TV/radio setup in the rink, so the ability to deliver any sort of traditional game broadcasts will be restricted. In 2017, regardless of venue, the committee may need to consider methods of preventing social media broadcasts, as Facebook and YouTube Live continue to become increasingly popular mediums. Is there some way the BFB could use its influence to have BFB tournament games auto-flagged as inappropriate content on Facebook and YouTube? Or perhaps the committee could pay some Russians to hack and temporarily disable the cellular services within the local areas of the chosen sites?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I think I've found a good prospect for a BFB Midwest Regional bid - Huron County Expo Center & Ice Arena in Bad Axe, MI. However, the clock is ticking. The next year or two is probably their last shot at a bid, before a newer, far too ritzy facility is constructed:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/a...na-9150076.php

http://huroncountyview.mihomepaper.c...ice_arena.html

Key selling points:

1. At 70x190, the rink is nicely undersized

2. The ice plant is a decade past its EOL date, and is currently being held together with spit and glue. It could go tits up at any time.

3. Unlike other areas of the state, Michigan's thumb is not all that into hockey. Huron County is also the least densely populated county in the southern Lower Peninsula.

4. There is no media/TV/radio setup in the rink, so the ability to deliver any sort of traditional game broadcasts will be restricted. In 2017, regardless of venue, the committee may need to consider methods of preventing social media broadcasts, as Facebook and YouTube Live continue to become increasingly popular mediums. Is there some way the BFB could use its influence to have BFB tournament games auto-flagged as inappropriate content on Facebook and YouTube? Or perhaps the committee could pay some Russians to hack and temporarily disable the cellular services within the local areas of the chosen sites?
        My committee is on the phone with Putin already.

Also, we've received assurance that Amazon will not be used to broadcast the games.

Comment

My committee is on the phone with Putin already.
          Promise to pay them 100 grand. Just don't specify that it's in rubles until you send the payment, via Bitcoin for anonymity of course.

Comment

Some venues in Maryland

Chevy Chase Country Club. While 200x85, the rink is outdoors. If played in April, the odds of seeing a high ranking Washington official flailing away on the golf course are high.

Tucker Road Ice rink. Currently closed due to an electrical fire. It may reopen in 2018 (2019, 2020).

Columbia Ice Rink. No parking, limited stands.

Herbert Wells. It's open on both ends.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Some venues in Maryland

Chevy Chase Country Club. While 200x85, the rink is outdoors. If played in April, the odds of seeing a high ranking Washington official flailing away on the golf course are high.

Tucker Road Ice rink. Currently closed due to an electrical fire. It may reopen in 2018 (2019, 2020).

Columbia Ice Rink. No parking, limited stands.

Herbert Wells. It's open on both ends.
              Under advisement for BFB East regional. I'm sure UAA and UA(F) will love a 4,000 mile trip East.

Comment

Some may remember a few years ago that the St. Lawrence Centre Mall Arena (Massena, NY) hosted a regional, one that I'm sure was horribly unsuccessful. Not sure if it was posted last year, but this site was shut down last summer due to "Mechanical Issues resulting in sub-par ice".

http://northcountrynow.com/business/...-doors-0178210

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Some may remember a few years ago that the St. Lawrence Centre Mall Arena (Massena, NY) hosted a regional, one that I'm sure was horribly unsuccessful. Not sure if it was posted last year, but this site was shut down last summer due to "Mechanical Issues resulting in sub-par ice".

http://northcountrynow.com/business/...-doors-0178210
                  Suitable for us!

Comment

Suitable for us!
                    I laughed when I saw that as the reason last year. That rink never, ever had suitable ice. It was always off, soft/choppy/slow/just... Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      I laughed when I saw that as the reason last year. That rink never, ever had suitable ice. It was always off, soft/choppy/slow/just... Not good.
                      We're also looking for a venue for the Futile Four.

Comment

Futile Four needs to return to the Sun Belt. I just fielded a call from Planet Ice Rink in Lafayette, LA regarding a possible bid.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Futile Four needs to return to the Sun Belt. I just fielded a call from Planet Ice Rink in Lafayette, LA regarding a possible bid.
                          If no other venues pop up, we'll go here.

Comment

I stumbled across a fantastic and worthy venue, possibly for the midwest regional. May I enlighten the committee to the Carmel Ice Skadium, located in Carmel, IN. I've heard direct reviews from people mentioning that the facility seems like it's stuck in the 80's, smells of sweaty feet and stale popcorn, not to mention horrible ice conditions. They also feature their headline event of Cosmic skating, which I'm sure they'd be willing to set up for a Bottom Feeder regional.

Check it out for yourself: https://www.yelp.com/biz/carmel-ice-...ource=(direct)

Comment

If no other venues pop up, we'll go here.
                              Arkansas Skatium in Little Rock, AR also inquired about a Futile Four bid, but after reviewing their facilities, I regretfully informed them that they were not down to the committee's standards, as the rink was too brightly lit and had too much spectator seating. Also, Little Rock has a substantial airport for relatively easy access, and a Presidential Library & Museum, so there is too much entertainment available in the surrounding area.

Comment

Working...
                              X