Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.15 - Now With More Yacht Banging Stories!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.15 - Now With More Yacht Banging Stories!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    But Kep, Hillary ran on all these things! She ran on moving towards single payer (states could set up themselves under ACA). She ran on free college tuition for people under a certain income level. All of these platforms she adopted. Would she have done this things as radically as Sanders? Probably not but if it gets their eventually what's the problem? I didn't start making big bucks straight out of college, but now that I'm relatively well off I don't sit around complaining that it took all through my 20's to get there.
    And the only reason she ran on those things was cause Bernie was her opponent, and pulled her leftward. If she was running against Evan Bayh or Joe Lieberman, you wouldn't have heard a peep about that stuff. .
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      That cranky old ($%*$% who has never sponsored a bill of any consequence, was not a better choice than a former Secretary of State.
      Fail to see where being SoS means one should be pres.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        And he won in a landslide both times and I bet he would have won again had he been able to run.

You are proving my point.
        Mookie voted for BHO over hilly and would do it again. WHould vote for BHO over tD.

Mookie would have voted for Michelle Obama over tD
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          I'm on the fence about not voting. There are groups of people who had to fight for the right to vote (women, minorities). So I feel like any non-voter in that population is failing those before them.

Those of us with privilege (white male) will see it as our freedom not to vote is protected by our past (died for our rights/freedom).

In the end that privilege clouds our decisions. Some deny they have privilege even.
          Interesting point and I think probably true for some. I grew up in a family that was patriotic to the point of it being almost religion. My Auntie cries every time she hears the national anthem (she is 83 yrs old). It is a privilege to be a citizen and part of 'payment for that is taking seriously the responsibility to excercise my right to vote regardles of what the election is for.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I was referring more to the state government. With that being said, I don't think you have to go to one extreme or the other. It's not good to be completely bare bones either. In time I think you could be quite happy with some of your town's decisions.

What do you think the future for mass holds? The economy is obviously decent, but it's hard for younger people to buy houses and I wonder what happens to the state and town's budgets as baby boomers retire. I worry about us going to same way as Connecticut at some point.
          see below. As far as harder to buy houses etc- I think we have a ridiculouse sense of entitlement that everyone should be able to (or should have the want to) buy a house. The issue for some of this is not affordability for the young so much as builders only building things that are huge, out of the normal starter house price. We have fields of McMansions popping up and a lot of very expensive homes- some of which aren't selling d/t the state of the town. For those who who can send their kids to private school and haven't looked at our crime rate this is a great place. They use it as a cheaper option while they pretend to be rich enough to afford the same house somewhere else.
          Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Which ones, and in what way?

Gutting the school system will drive new people away, since the #1 issue for anyone is location relative to school systems. So by making it bad, that puts in place a gradual decline of people, as new people will not want to live there.

Add to that, a protection system that may struggle to support the general public? Again, why would anyone want to move there?

Lower property taxes are not that important. If they were, the popular cities that have high property taxes would not be popular.

The question really is- why is it hard for young people to buy homes? Is it because they don't want to live in the 1000ft^2 starter homes that their parents started with? Or that they desire to live near where they work? Or that their wages are low?

If a community has suppressed home costs, don't you think people would hesitate to move their because of resale value?
          So much of this. We have the old guard who continue to structure things in a way they benefit and screw the rest. We have the new disengaged 'rich' and a fairly sizeable population who are actively trying to figure out a way to get the hell out because we are morally bankrupt and provide nothing a town should. I walk about a couple of miles a few times a week. The same houses have been for sale for months. We have been here almost 25 yrs and There has been no positive motion. I can't forsee any reason to think it will work out. The people in charge are older, don't want to pay in, and have no ability to look past whether it will effect them getting lunch in an hour.
          Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          I agree with your assessment of Hillary. However, "this person won't screw it up too much" isn't exactly an inspiring message to motivate people and to get people out to vote.

Which brings it back to blame the Democratic Party for not presenting a better candidate.
          And wouldn't a candidate who inspires people to get out and vote help to get more people involved?

You are missing the point, I don't like that people need to be motivated to get out and vote. I don't have an explanation as to why people need to be motivated to get out and vote. That does appear to be how it is though. So, we need to pick our candidates accordingly.
          NO. If people were responsible citizens they would vote. Dumbing things down results in the candidates like tRump, Palin and others who are clearly not qualified but do just what you want- appeal to the people who do vote- stupid and ignorant as they are. What should be happening is educating people to understand it is your civic duty and responsibility to vote. It is also your duty to look at what happens when you don't. We don't see that alot anywhere.
          Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Yeah ideally Americans would do a lot of things like exercise regularly so that 2/3 of the country isn't obese. At the same time to win elections you need to work within the parameters of reality, ie Americans are lazy. And when you have a ton of voting restrictions in key states they might not be willing to take of work to go to the DMV or whatever just so they can vote for someone who is the epitome of everything that's wrong with the democratic party. Especially when Trump had no chance anyhow (doh!).
          Some people cannot take out of work. It is not financially possible when you are living paycheck to paycheck or don't have the transportation to get to some of the places required. I have no prob with needing an ID as long as it is very easy to access and is free- something that alot of these rules do not fit.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          don't even joke about eating her!!! PUHleeeze!!!
          bwahahaha! I love you mookie!
          Last edited by leswp1; 08-03-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

You are missing the point. I held my nose and voted for her, but the results confirm my opinion that she was a poor choice for a candidate.

You have two choices, you can travel across the country trying to convince people how they should go about making their decisions when it comes time to vote, or you can pick better candidates.... which is an easier path to victory?
            And your better candidates will still get hammered by the right wing noise machine, about nothing. Everything they do will be the greatest disaster, or biggest scandal of all time. They will be the most partisan, corrupt, or unqualified candidate to ever run for office. And people like Brent, and Drew, and perhaps even you,, will buy into it unconditionally.

Exhibit one, Elizabeth Warren.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
              And your better candidates will still get hammered by the right wing noise machine, about nothing. Everything they do will be the greatest disaster, or biggest scandal of all time. They will be the most partisan, corrupt, or unqualified candidate to ever run for office. And people like Brent, and Drew, and perhaps even you,, will buy into it unconditionally.

Exhibit one, Elizabeth Warren.
              I counter with Barack Obama.

Comment

I counter with Barack Obama.
                If Mccain had picked anyone other than Sarah Palin as his VP nominee, you wouldn't have Barack Obama.

But Sarah was inspirational, and got people excited to vote....................

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  If Mccain had picked anyone other than Sarah Palin as his VP nominee, you wouldn't have Barack Obama.

More like she got people to vote against her.

I wouldn't use Palin as an example of a good candidate.
                  Last edited by ericredaxe; 08-03-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    VPs never decide elections.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Hillary was not objectively untrustworthy and dishonest. That was noise machine BS.
                      Objectively, she is. It just depends how closely you look whether you want to notice it, there's a scale of un-trustworthiness that we all fall on somewhere.
                      Reagan was pilloried for insinuating that a certain war hero was buried at Arlington, where he was speaking, when in fact it was a different cemetery. (He actually said, "under one such headstone.") Can you imagine this taking up headlines for a week in 2017?
                      Hillary lied about personal anecdotes like dodging sniper fire that were, relatively harmlessly, self-aggrandizing. Like Albert Gore jr. and his exaggerated influence on the "creation of the internet."
                      Trump simply makes up whole episodes of alleged important conversations with foreign leaders and whatnot to suit his fancy, so that you can't believe anything about anything that comes from his White House. It's orders of magnitude more dangerous.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Ehh, with the financial meltdown Obama still would have won, though it would have been much closer. With that and Palin, though, McCain had no shot; also how much did he pick her versus having others pick her for him?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

NO. If people were responsible citizens they would vote. Dumbing things down results in the candidates like tRump, Palin and others who are clearly not qualified but do just what you want- appeal to the people who do vote- stupid and ignorant as they are. What should be happening is educating people to understand it is your civic duty and responsibility to vote. It is also your duty to look at what happens when you don't. We don't see that alot anywhere.
                          !
                          Inspiring and likeable does not equal dumb.

I'll give you four options for your candidate:

Inspiring, likeabke / qualified

Uninspiring, not likeabke / qualified

Inspiring, likeable / not qualified

Uninspiring, not likeable / not qualified

Which candidate do you pick? The choice should be obvious.
                          Last edited by ericredaxe; 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Inspiring and likeable does not equal dumb.
                            Inspiring, no, but likable? There's a large portion of people who are frightened of / angered by intelligence. Every pol learns to fake being as dimwitted as his average constituent to appease them.

There are basic asymmetries that drive politicians to the LCD. Dumb people distrust the smart while smart people understand when you play dumb, result: politicians play dumb. Religious people are angered by atheists while atheists have learned to keep their heads down in a world where most people are religious, result: politicians pretend to be religious. Hawks want to beat up doves while doves have learned to manage and avoid hawks, result: politicians make grr grr loud noises.

It's the way the game has always been played; Shakespeare made jokes about it 500 years ago and Cicero gave politicians practical advice on how to do it 2000 years ago.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Fail to see where being SoS means one should be pres.
                              James Madison just called and said "FU mookie".
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                VPs never decide elections.
                                Decided it for me. My fear was something would happen to McCain and we'd be stuck with that dingbat as President. Pence is evil and awful, but, like Hilary, seems like he would be capable of doing the job. I firmly believe that McCain did not want to be President and because of that, he picked her to be his running mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X