Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Jim, can you explain more? I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Is it that Mr. and Mrs. Choate block poor kids from competing with little Erik and Erika so we wind up with a soccer system filled with Dartmouth and Duke upper class twits of the year?

In short, is it lacrosse?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      It's what happens when allow people who a) hold historic grudges against the US Soccer/FIFA system and b) think they know the game better than others, make the rules.

And 95% of our youth soccer is designed to feed into that system.

To everyone:

Go online, look at the clubs in your area and see how many college scholarships they advertise on their websites. Look up college showcase tournaments in your area. Look at youth regional championships for the college coaches tents.

Then look at how much these clubs charge per year to play.

Then look at who runs the boards at the State level.

Then look at the voting breakdown for the board at US Soccer.

And you'll find out exactly why we can't develop players to beat T&T, Panama, and Honduras.
      I love that getting college scholarships is a bad thing. That should probably be the goal for most players, not making the national team.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        I love that getting college scholarships is a bad thing. That should probably be the goal for most players, not making the national team.
        The problem is, and this relates to your post Kep, that's not the goal for US Soccer. US Soccer's goal is to build teams that win the World Cup, and you don't produce players capable of winning a World Cup by producing kids for college.

The system is designed for parents to pay thousands of dollars for their kid to have a chance to play college soccer, that's the wrong system. The system should be producing the 23 players that will be the best team in the world.

If we want kids to go to college then we should work on making college affordable for everyone, not designing our sports programs to send a lucky 1%.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

As for the referee thing, don't give up the badge. I'll give you the same advice I give a lot of referees: Remember that you're an independent contractor and you can choose what games you want to ref. Tired of the youth BS? Find an adult amateur league to work. Get your upgrades to give yourself better opportunities. See about working HS and college as well, but word of caution as those two are their own minefields.
          Not gonna lie I gave up on reffing too. I reffed youth for a while and also high school and Injust decided I had better things to focus my time on as it wasn't something I was exactly profiting from.

Comment

Imagine if all NCAA Football teams just ran an option offense. Nothing like what is run in the NFL. Now complain that your college draft kids can't compete in the NFL.

That is what is happening here.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

You're going to have to make a Major Junior for soccer because University Presidents aren't going to go along along with FIFA rules. Period. They have more important things to do then the demands of a non- revenue sport with free or cheap ticket admission at most.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the European model is to have a pro team and then teams below that level all the way down to U10 or so. The object is to develop kids for the big club, be it at the top level or some lower division

So if we did that here we'd have DC United, a U20 team and so forth down the line all the way to 9 year olds. What I'm not clear on is would you have a ton of 9 year olds learning the fundamentals and then as they age up, the pyramid gets smaller???
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  If I'm not mistaken the European model is to have a pro team and then teams below that level all the way down to U10 or so. The object is to develop kids for the big club, be it at the top level or some lower division

So if we did that here we'd have DC United, a U20 team and so forth down the line all the way to 9 year olds. What I'm not clear on is would you have a ton of 9 year olds learning the fundamentals and then as they age up, the pyramid gets smaller???
                  DC United does have youth teams down to U-11. In fact one of the players is Barron Trump. So does every other MLS team.

Joe, this is not specifically to you but does include you, do some simple research before commenting.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    You're going to have to make a Major Junior for soccer because University Presidents aren't going to go along along with FIFA rules. Period. They have more important things to do then the demands of a non- revenue sport with free or cheap ticket admission at most.
                    There is two major differences in the interaction between the USSF and the NCAA versus other sports: 1. The USSF doesn't need the NCAA like say USA Track & Field. 2. The USSF threatening to disqualify all NCAA players from Professional and International soccer actually carries weight.

The USSF, as the defined NGB for soccer under the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act (and confirmed by the courts in ChampionsWorld vs. USSF), has the power to regulate amateur soccer in the US. The NCAA considers themselves, and their soccer, amateur. Therefore the USSF has the power to say to the NCAA "conform to our regulations or face the consequences." And the USSF has the financial muscle to back it up.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Imagine if all NCAA Football teams just ran an option offense. Nothing like what is run in the NFL. Now complain that your college draft kids can't compete in the NFL.

That is what is happening here.
                      That would never happen, because college coaches want to get the best recruits, and to do that they have to sell how they'll be prepared for the NFL.

It seems you all are describing the symptoms, not the illness. The illness is that soccer simply isn't as popular in the US as several other sports. Building up the system you are dreaming of might just be possible until there is big money in soccer in the US.

Comment

DC United does have youth teams down to U-11. In fact one of the players is Barron Trump. So does every other MLS team.

Joe, this is not specifically to you but does include you, do some simple research before commenting.
                        We also have Montgomery Soccer Inc, Olney Boys and Girls Club and who knows what else fielding youth soccer in Montgomery County, MD. My grandson plays in a rec league and every one on his team is one footed when kicking the ball. I've seen no attempt to teach the kids to use the other (left) foot. It's horde soccer out there. They're not learning skills. If that is a typical U10 team in our county, that is not good.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It seems you all are describing the symptoms, not the illness. The illness is that soccer simply isn't as popular in the US as several other sports. Building up the system you are dreaming of might just be possible until there is big money in soccer in the US.
                          Again, simple research. There is big money in soccer already, the USSF has a $100 million surplus. Yeah it's not NFL level of big money but there's still plenty pie to go around.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            There is two major differences in the interaction between the USSF and the NCAA versus other sports: 1. The USSF doesn't need the NCAA like say USA Track & Field. 2. The USSF threatening to disqualify all NCAA players from Professional and International soccer actually carries weight.

The USSF, as the defined NGB for soccer under the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act (and confirmed by the courts in ChampionsWorld vs. USSF), has the power to regulate amateur soccer in the US. The NCAA considers themselves, and their soccer, amateur. Therefore the USSF has the power to say to the NCAA "conform to our regulations or face the consequences." And the USSF has the financial muscle to back it up.
                            As long as a large majority of players will benefit more from trying to get a scholarship than any other path, that will continue to be the preferable path. Disqualifying most people from professional play is completely pointless because it will never impact them. USSF would be better served to try to work with the current system rather than fight it.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              We also have Montgomery Soccer Inc, Olney Boys and Girls Club and who knows what else fielding youth soccer in Montgomery County, MD. My grandson plays in a rec league and every one on his team is one footed when kicking the ball. I've seen no attempt to teach the kids to use the other (left) foot. It's horde soccer out there. They're not learning skills. If that is a typical U10 team in our county, that is not good.
                              Now you know why are players technical ability are crap. What you described is fairly typical of nearly every U-10 club. Clubs don't care as long as the check clears, parents don't care as long their kids are out of their hands for an hour.

In fairness, any of the DA clubs, and especially the MLS clubs academy set ups, are definitely not like that. The DA is a good setup, it's just a matter of setting that up nationwide and making it cheap to parents.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Now you know why are players technical ability are crap. What you described is fairly typical of nearly every U-10 club. Clubs don't care as long as the check clears, parents don't care as long their kids are out of their hands for an hour.

In fairness, any of the DA clubs, and especially the MLS clubs academy set ups, are definitely not like that. The DA is a good setup, it's just a matter of setting that up nationwide and making it cheap to parents.
                                The operative word is cheap. I know what travel hockey costs & I would imagine elite soccer is comparable.

Hockey is the same. We have great cone skaters but lousy hockey players.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X