Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    They do the same thing elsewhere to varying degrees. Europa league is the NIT of champions league.
    Wondering why FIFA wouldn't have come up with WC also-rans tourney.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      Group I?

And just what we need - the World Cup draw simulator!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...raw-simulator/
      Last edited by joecct; 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        Its odd to me that you assume this has never been thought of before. Im sure it has, it probably never had enough detail or support previously to become public.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Its odd to me that you assume this has never been thought of before. Im sure it has, it probably never had enough detail or support previously to become public.
          Its probably a matter of not enough high profile teams from throughout the world ever missing out at the same time...I know Europe always has some quality teams miss out, sometimes South America, but It's pretty rare for CONCACAF, Mexico and USA had made everyone World Cup since 1994 and Costa Rica has made 4 of the last 5...Africa always has some relatively big names miss out but other than Europe and Mexico/USA there isn't alot of money to throw around to make it worth wild...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I've learned not to assume anything. Maybe FIFA has broached the subject. Maybe they've asked a few countries what they've thought of that and were told to take a hike, they weren't interested. They live and die to make the WC and a tournament for those that don't would be a reminder that they didn't.
            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Porterball is dead.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Its probably a matter of not enough high profile teams from throughout the world ever missing out at the same time...I know Europe always has some quality teams miss out, sometimes South America, but It's pretty rare for CONCACAF, Mexico and USA had made everyone World Cup since 1994 and Costa Rica has made 4 of the last 5...Africa always has some relatively big names miss out but other than Europe and Mexico/USA there isn't alot of money to throw around to make it worth wild...
                1994 would’ve been a good year for it. England, Scotland, France, and Netherlands were all out.

The thing is, really until 2002/2006 world soccer was largely the big Euro countries plus Argentina and Brazil, the gap between the big boys and the rest was huge. It’s only a recent phenomenon that teams and leagues from outside those countries got going.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Tell is how you REALLY feel.

https://deadspin.com/american-soccer...und-1820488165
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Haisley needs to burn to the ground.

Go back to writing about random Euro fifth division highlights.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Haisley needs to burn to the ground.

Go back to writing about random Euro fifth division highlights.
                      I dunno, though. This seems pretty accurate:

To the powers that be in U.S. Soccer, Klinsmann was a loudmouth agitator who kept jabbing at their cash cow with a steady barrage of critiques of how soccer in America works and how he’d like to improve things. When said powers got fed up with Klinsmann’s pestering, and when the on-pitch performances of the team he led faltered enough to make the once-popular manager vulnerable, they axed him.

In his place they brought in a U.S. soccer lifer who owed everything to The Way Things Are and had no designs on even insinuating that the path the sport was on might be the wrong one. Arena was supposed to possess a pair of steadying hands to right the listing U.S. ship at the time he took over, but because his brand of media dust-ups involved him taking shots at those who questioned the wisdom of U.S. Soccer’s unjustifiably pompous and isolationist worldview, he wasn’t unceremoniously tossed to the sharks the way his actual job performance called for. And even now, when his career-defining failure has crystallized to any sane observer that there are indeed deep fissures in American soccer’s foundation that must be repaired if we are to progress, he’s still out here giving the same lame, “Everything’s fine, we’re doing things just right, we just happened to **** the bed on a fluke, no need for any big drastic changes to the brilliant plan those in charge have charted out for us—though if you should blame anyone, blame the foreigners” routine that does nothing but protect those with a vested interest in profiting from the system as it currently exists, while scapegoating those who bear the least fault for the state of things.

(Let me get this straight: MLS is amazing and run so intelligently and is practically perfect, but if there is a teeny tiny problem it’s that the teams incorporate too many non-Americans—you know, the ones that came up in countries with real soccer development traditions which made them into, like, actually good players—to give minutes to subpar American guys from the college system? And not the fact that, as a sad Pulisic pointed out in an article he wrote earlier this week, the entire American system under-prepares young talents—and, yes, loses them through the cracks, which is an inevitable consequence of the pay-to-play model—at the most crucial developmental ages, thereby making it all but impossible for world-class or even top-European-league-class players to emerge from this environment? If you say so ...)
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I thought we agreed that US soccer is a dumpster fire?
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Klinsmann was fired because he was a charlatan who couldn’t manage his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he held onto the job as long as he did was because he was Gulati’s guy. The fact that he didn’t get canned after the 2015 Gold Cup is largely the reason why US Soccer is in this mess. He made his comments about MLS and such to cover his own faults and every idiot Johnny-Come-Lately like Haisley lapped it all up. Arena was hired because he was available and a steady choice, you don’t go blowing up the whole system in the middle of *ing Qualifying (something these JCL’s like Haisley won’t ever understand).

The problem right now is too many “soccer” people have some hard-on against MLS and equate all of US Soccer’s problems with MLS. Fact is, MLS is the one driving the change in US Soccer. It’s MLS spending the money to get rid of pay to play, stabilizing the lower divisions, develop youth players etc. The problem with US Soccer is not on the top floors and upper management (with the exception of Gulati), it’s in the middle, it’s these huge *** youth club factories and the coaches involved ripping off parents and driving kids to an inadequate college system. Pro/Rel ain’t fixing that, sending kids to Europe ain’t fixing that, hiring Euro Hot Manager Of The Moment ain’t fixing that. What fixes that is investment, and working with the guys who have actually been investing in soccer in the US for the last 20+ years is a better plan. Problem for JCL’s is those guys want an ROI, something that is apparently evil.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Klinsmann was fired because he was a charlatan who couldn’t manage his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he held onto the job as long as he did was because he was Gulati’s guy. The fact that he didn’t get canned after the 2015 Gold Cup is largely the reason why US Soccer is in this mess. He made his comments about MLS and such to cover his own faults and every idiot Johnny-Come-Lately like Haisley lapped it all up. Arena was hired because he was available and a steady choice, you don’t go blowing up the whole system in the middle of *ing Qualifying (something these JCL’s like Haisley won’t ever understand).

The problem right now is too many “soccer” people have some hard-on against MLS and equate all of US Soccer’s problems with MLS. Fact is, MLS is the one driving the change in US Soccer. It’s MLS spending the money to get rid of pay to play, stabilizing the lower divisions, develop youth players etc. The problem with US Soccer is not on the top floors and upper management (with the exception of Gulati), it’s in the middle, it’s these huge *** youth club factories and the coaches involved ripping off parents and driving kids to an inadequate college system. Pro/Rel ain’t fixing that, sending kids to Europe ain’t fixing that, hiring Euro Hot Manager Of The Moment ain’t fixing that. What fixes that is investment, and working with the guys who have actually been investing in soccer in the US for the last 20+ years is a better plan. Problem for JCL’s is those guys want an ROI, something that is apparently evil.
                            There's probably a lot of truth to this. But it sure seems like the root cause is we're trying to build a soccer culture top down. I have no idea about South America but in Europe soccer grew bottom up. As a nation of ever browner immigrants, I'd hope our growth would be organic. "Power to the people, no delay!"

But the first thing that would happen would be the disappearance of almost every white face from the USMNT, and that is still an impossible sell for media, merchandise, and marketing. Little Eric and Erika love Pulisic. Jose Manual Gonzalez-Ramos? Not so much.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              There's probably a lot of truth to this. But it sure seems like the root cause is we're trying to build a soccer culture top down. I have no idea about South America but in Europe soccer grew bottom up. As a nation of ever browner immigrants, I'd hope our growth would be organic. "Power to the people, no delay!"

But the first thing that would happen would be the disappearance of almost every white face from the USMNT, and that is still an impossible sell for media, merchandise, and marketing. Little Eric and Erika love Pulisic. Jose Manual Gonzalez-Ramos? Not so much.
                              Kep, you frankly need to educate yourself before commenting. Soccer is this country has to be built from the top-down because we have no culture for soccer, any chance at that was beat out in 30’s. If you want kids to play you have to give them a reason, and a professional league is the only way to do that. “Power to the people!”? The people already rejected that opportunity.

As for immigrants, all they do is follow the soccer from their home, it’s why Liga MX is the most watched league in this country and why the Gold Cup is held here every time.

Finally, you’re pretty d* ignorant regarding the USMNT and race. There are Latino kids playing, there are African-American kids playing, Asian kids etc. It’s pretty diverse. Now, the Women’s team...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

CONCACAF adopts UEFA style League of Nations

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/11/17...ies-usa-mexico
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X