Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge #192: What DO you do, with a BA in English?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #192: What DO you do, with a BA in English?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Seriously?

It's a true wonder of nature. That life happened to develop on a planet 93 million miles from a star, collided with an object to form a moon just so perfectly sized to barely cover that star and it happens to rotate around our planet in just a way that allows it to cover while slowly moving away from earth in such a way that a total eclipse is possible on our planet for just a flicker in time compared to that of the universe? And it hasn't happened in the US in 40 years?

God, you must be fun at parties.
    And it all happened in the couple thousand years since the earth was formed.*

Rats....looks like it will remain cloudy in MSP.

*My wife's now late uncle would end a lot of astronomical discussions my brother-in-law and his cousins would be having by claiming a strict biblical interpretation of the earth's age. He's also her late uncle because he chose some bizarre black bean diet regiment to treat his cancer.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I'm at DTW now, scheduled to take off at 1:45. Curious as to how the eclipse will look like from the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        I'm at DTW now, scheduled to take off at 1:45. Curious as to how the eclipse will look like from the air.
        Much like looking into a Gorgon's eyes, in that it'll be the last thing you'll ever see.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          "We're just gonna switch up the lures a little, to see if we can get some other sucker to bite."

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Okay, now it's getting a little dark.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              We had thick cloud cover here, detracting quite a bit from the event.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                "We're just gonna switch up the lures a little, to see if we can get some other sucker to bite."

I think you misinterpreted my reply to mookie...
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Nice day for it. Took the LGF out for a peek. She doesn't care, but it was neat to share that little bit with her.
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

I went outside to see if the temp dipped a bit. It didn't. I looked up for a moment, and then saw a bit of the moon cover the sun, through a small cloud.

I'll be in the office with my seeing eye dog in the morning.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Supposed to have 75% cover in St Croix. Looking thru the shadow box it got to a crescent. Took some pics with my phone with an app. Pfft. Never looked like the light changed much and the sun still looks like it is round in the pics. SO, that was an anticlimactic event. It is waning now. The only difference was the little crescent shifted the side it was on, rotating as the time progressed.

Comment

92% totality in Denver occurred at 11:47 AM.

Looked like a very subdued version of daytime, like wearing sunglasses.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          92% totality in Denver occurred at 11:47 AM.

Looked like a very subdued version of daytime, like wearing sunglasses.
                          We had around 80% here in Tampa, could notice some "dimming" of the sunlight, some slight decrease in light.

Have seen lots of pictures of the ground around here (and I'd assume similar elsewhere) where you can see crescent shapes patterned about.

God willing, 8/12/45 will bring totality to the Tampa area. I may also venture to NY in 7 years if I'm not working, as my hometown is in or very near totality for that one.

Comment

My co workers were mostly disappointed with the eclipse as well. Light dimming oh so slightly was all we got.

Sounds amazing though...
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I could see the eclipse quite clearly (about 80% of total), but I didn't notice any dimming.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

At the airport to fly back to my floating penthouse for the next 30 days. A whole lot of nothing happened the past month, but that's alright.

Comment

Working...
                                X