Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849
Results 961 to 976 of 976

Thread: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

  1. #961

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further down the road
    Posts
    59,288

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Lights in Bangkok have timers counting down in big red blocks over the intersections
    I just assumed those were for the b girls.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  2. #962
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,289

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Lights in Bangkok have timers counting down in big red blocks over the intersections
    They have them in India too. When the countdown gets to 5 seconds to green, everyone goes, and it is even more chaotic than regular India driving.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  3. #963

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further down the road
    Posts
    59,288

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    They have them in India too. When the countdown gets to 5 seconds to green, everyone goes, and it is even more chaotic than regular India driving.
    Who needs signals?
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  4. #964
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,721

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    They have them here in PH and it's about the only traffic law/sign anyone pays attention to.

  5. #965
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,371

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That'd never work in Minnesota.

    Those Minnesota-nice drivers would all stop for each other just like they seem to have a "brake race" to the end of interstate ramps and then both (one on ramp, one on freeway) stop to let the other go.

    I'd be epic gridlock.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  6. #966
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,371

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    They have them in India too. When the countdown gets to 5 seconds to green, everyone goes, and it is even more chaotic than regular India driving.
    Fargo, ND, has the other problem right now:

    Green: go.
    Red: stop.
    Yellow: go like < bleep >! "As long as the front bumper is over the stop bar before red you're good, right?" seems to be that city's new mantra. If I'm in Fargo it's green, look, look, look, wait, then go.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  7. #967
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shouting it from the Chugach Mountains
    Posts
    17,681

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Colorado:

    Green: Count two Mississippis before you go - odds are someone's storming through the intersection.
    Yellow: Still got plenty of time, relax.
    Red: 3 or 4 more cars, hurry!
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

  8. #968
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,235

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Colorado:

    Green: Count two Mississippis before you go - odds are someone's storming through the intersection.
    Yellow: Still got plenty of time, relax.
    Red: 3 or 4 more cars, hurry!
    In driver's ed, and perhaps even state law here, is that you're supposed to wait for two seconds after the light turns green before proceeding through the intersection. That's not how most people drive, but it's what I was taught back in 1993.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  9. #969
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,507

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Lights in Bangkok have timers counting down in big red blocks over the intersections
    Only problem with doing that is the light has to be on a strict timer. With the intersections that have regular crosswalks you can get away with that, but many suburban areas use signal triggers especially during off-peak times, so it'd be impossible to do something like a timer.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  10. #970
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,507

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In driver's ed, and perhaps even state law here, is that you're supposed to wait for two seconds after the light turns green before proceeding through the intersection. That's not how most people drive, but it's what I was taught back in 1993.
    Buffalo NY used to have three second double reds to account for this situation, although they recently got rid of that...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  11. #971
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,464
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In driver's ed, and perhaps even state law here, is that you're supposed to wait for two seconds after the light turns green before proceeding through the intersection. That's not how most people drive, but it's what I was taught back in 1993.
    Most modern traffic lights have at least a second or two delay built in when lights switch.

  12. #972
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,371

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Most modern traffic lights have at least a second or two delay built in when lights switch.
    "Built in" as in specialty controller, or written into the code by the person who programmed the lights.

    I've looked into a few traffic control boxes and seen quite a few standard (Allen-Bradley, et al) PLCs. Those wouldn't have such a delay (except via the ladder logic, i.e. the code).

    And, many traffic lights are installed by the "heavy commercial" or "light industrial" group of a local electrical firm and then are programmed by that electrical shop's in-house "PLC guy*" who is normally the electrician who knows how to use a keyboard and doesn't think about code, state machines and logic, or real-time programming.

    Some larger cities probably have their own in-house PLC programmer (for traffic, for lift station, etc), or contract out to a local controls and automation firm, but again it's how that coder codes the code unless the city has a very specific spec.


    *Apologies for lack of gender neutrality.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-14-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  13. #973

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Colorado:

    Green: Count two Mississippis before you go - odds are someone's storming through the intersection.
    Yellow: Still got plenty of time, relax.
    Red: 3 or 4 more cars, hurry!
    That is totally Illinois, except if you don't go immediately on green, you hear a symphony of car horns.

  14. #974
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,235

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    EMAIL Exchange #1:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi, I need you to provide me [information] on your applications and databases you support for my group, Group XYZ?
    ME: Hi [GUY]. I'm sorry by my team doesn't support any XYZ applications. I think you have the wrong support team.

    EMAIL Exchange #2:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: I know you support these things, because you just supported them last month.
    ME: Sorry, I think you're mistaken. Please see the attached workbook, that is a complete list of the applications and databases we support. Group XYZ is only listed on their once, but I don't think that's what you're requesting.

    EMAIL Exchange #3:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: No, you're wrong. You support us. We've had support from your team.
    ME: Are you perhaps thinking of the [.NET Dev team] or the [Other app support team]? We only support the applications on the list I sent you.

    EMAIL Exchange #3:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi [St. Clown's boss's boss], I know your [sic] familiar with this, your group supports it. [Paraphrasing]: Your cretins in the support team are telling me they don't support my things.



    Then my boss's boss comes back to... Actually, we do support them. They don't get much action, but we do bill for them even though they're not on your list. Great.

    Annual survey, "Do you have the tools to perform your job well?" Fick no!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  15. #975
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    29,879

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    EMAIL Exchange #1:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi, I need you to provide me [information] on your applications and databases you support for my group, Group XYZ?
    ME: Hi [GUY]. I'm sorry by my team doesn't support any XYZ applications. I think you have the wrong support team.

    EMAIL Exchange #2:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: I know you support these things, because you just supported them last month.
    ME: Sorry, I think you're mistaken. Please see the attached workbook, that is a complete list of the applications and databases we support. Group XYZ is only listed on their once, but I don't think that's what you're requesting.

    EMAIL Exchange #3:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: No, you're wrong. You support us. We've had support from your team.
    ME: Are you perhaps thinking of the [.NET Dev team] or the [Other app support team]? We only support the applications on the list I sent you.

    EMAIL Exchange #3:
    GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi [St. Clown's boss's boss], I know your [sic] familiar with this, your group supports it. [Paraphrasing]: Your cretins in the support team are telling me they don't support my things.



    Then my boss's boss comes back to... Actually, we do support them. They don't get much action, but we do bill for them even though they're not on your list. Great.

    Annual survey, "Do you have the tools to perform your job well?" Fick no!
    And now GUY WITH AN ISSUE thinks you're a lazy, incompetent, hack.

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  16. #976
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,040

    Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    And now GUY WITH AN ISSUE thinks you're a lazy, incompetent, hack.
    just "thinks"??
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •