Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    A proper signature should include:
    Full Name
    Position - Company
    Phone - Mobile
    Address

The signature should be on every email you send. It helps delineate individual messages in long threads.
    But it should not be on every reply on every email in an internal email thread that is 12 replies long.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Maybe it's too long, but mine is:

ETA: For instance, mine is:

Corporate Logo
      Seymour Butts | Senior Division Engineer
      Totally Awesome Dept
      Company Bldg 123-05-12 | St. Paul, MN 55555 | United States
      Office: (651) 382-5968 | Mobile: (651) 244-3664
      sbutts@company.com
      Stupid Corporate Link Logos
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        But it should not be on every reply on every email in an internal email thread that is 12 replies long.

SUre it should. Otherwise you get a bunch of text that runs into each other and it can be difficult to tell who sent what.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

SUre it should. Otherwise you get a bunch of text that runs into each other and it can be difficult to tell who sent what.
          Uh, no.
          The email headers (To/From) provide that segregation in a multi-reply email thread.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Mentioning email signatures ...

There's a thing called "signal to noise" ratio. Count the characters in the actual message (including subject line) and call it signal; count the characters in the signature and call it noise. Do the "(signal/noise)" math. If the value is under 2 your signature is too long.

If you find yourself frequently under 2:
            - set up your email to not include the signature on replies in email threads
            - shorten your signature!

The world does not need the following on every < bleeping! > email from you:
            I have an initial message signature that include the following, set by company policy:

Name

Position
            Section of Company

Section of company again| Street Address | City, State 9-digit Zip Code
            Internal mailing code
            Phone Number

Email address

Email privileged info disclaimer and threat.

After that, for message replies and forwards, all of my emails have a signature that is merely my name and phone number.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I have an initial message signature that include the following, set by company policy ....

After that, for message replies and forwards, all of my emails have a signature that is merely my name and phone number.
              The bold is the key.

The initial message especially if you start the email thread, sure, needs the long form and yet probably still has a signal to noise over 2.

But with the shorter "reply" signature the replies also have a better S:N ratio.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Hmm... I came here to post about a closely-related gear-grinder: people waiting for an elevator on the ground floor who stand right up against the doors. Let the people get off first, dimwit. I actually had to walk up to a person once until my nose was about 3" away from his until he'd step aside and let me off.
                I am teaching at a Long Term Care facility right now. We went to get off the elevator and some cute little guy came barreling into the elevator with his walker out in front of him like a cow catcher. My students who were trying to exit the elevator were driven back into each other. I was off the the side (one learns to do this in LT care places) giggling in my head and thinking of this thread
                A proper signature should include:
                Full Name
                Position - Company
                Phone - Mobile
                Address

The signature should be on every email you send. It helps delineate individual messages in long threads.
                I used to just have that until I would get messages with no name, no contact info. Now after all the gobbldygook I put a thing saying to identify self and what they need. You would think it would be a no brainer but, well, for no brains it doesn't work

Comment

Why does your email address need to be in your signature? It's redundant and a total waste of space.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                  Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                    Why does your email address need to be in your signature? It's redundant and a total waste of space.
                    When long email chains begin, the email address itself is stripped from the prior messages' headers. Only the most current email in the chain has intact email addresses, all others just list the names. So if my question to Bob gets forwarded to Joan, then my name will be lost if I'm not CC'd for the email forward.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

When long email chains begin, the email address itself is stripped from the prior messages' headers. Only the most current email in the chain has intact email addresses, all others just list the names. So if my question to Bob gets forwarded to Joan, then my name will be lost if I'm not CC'd for the email forward.
                      I've never seen that from Outlook in all the years we've had it here at the office. That's probably why email addy's in signatures grind my gears.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                        I've never seen that from Outlook in all the years we've had it here at the office. That's probably why email addy's in signatures grind my gears.
                        I have outlook. It happens with each email string I receive as a forward.

Comment

This has never happened in any environment I've worked in. If you want we can do it right now, as I have Outlook at my work. PM me, I'll forward it to my work, then I'll forward that back to you. I'll only be able to find your email in that second email because it has been preserved in the chain.

I'm not saying your IT department didn't install Outlook wrong. I'm saying the behavior you are describing is not standard.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah long email chains always preserve the email addresses in Outlook for me...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Yeah long email chains always preserve the email addresses in Outlook for me...
                              Header information from prior emails only show prior participants' names as text data in my company's email history. Only the people involved in the most recent reply can I see the email address. It's probably a setting found in File/Options, but this is the corporate standard likely derived from an information security goal.

Comment

St Clown is correct.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X