Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    When grocery stores rearrange where they keep things for no apparent reason.
    The reason is always to force you to spend more time in the store.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      The reason is always to force you to spend more time in the store.
      Many times it is dictated by the suits who've never shopped.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Many times it is dictated by the suits who've never shopped.
        To be fair, I do notice one detail about grocery store layouts that is consistent across nearly all stores, which also makes a lot of sense:
        - fresh produce is nearly always where you first walk in. It sits out in the open anyway. What difference will another 30 minutes sitting in the cart make?
        - refrigerated or frozen products are furthest from the entrance...who wants to walk around with stuff that might spoil or melt? keep it nearest the checkout.

Other than that.....

PS. in some parts of the country, the grocery "cart" is called a "carriage." go figure.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          To be fair, I do notice one detail about grocery store layouts that is consistent across nearly all stores, which also makes a lot of sense:
          - fresh produce is nearly always where you first walk in. It sits out in the open anyway. What difference will another 30 minutes sitting in the cart make?
          - refrigerated or frozen products are furthest from the entrance...who wants to walk around with stuff that might spoil or melt? keep it nearest the checkout.

Other than that.....

PS. in some parts of the country, the grocery "cart" is called a "carriage." go figure.
          The dairy and meat are kept near the rear of stores because it forces the shoppers to walk through other sections and possibly pickup impulse items. It's by design, to prey upon the shoppers' unconscious mind. The large, successful chains know what they're doing when they design the layout.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            The dairy and meat are kept near the rear of stores because it forces the shoppers to walk through other sections and possibly pickup impulse items. It's by design, to prey upon the shoppers' unconscious mind. The large, successful chains know what they're doing when they design the layout.
            Another of my pet peeves is when I have to get down on my hands and knees to get the sale items off the bottom shelf because they are pushed back so far.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              This is why I have three rules for grocery shopping:

1. Never shop without a list.
              2. Never shop while hungry.
              3. Never shop while tired.

Otherwise, I end up spending twice as much as I intended. One time, I went to Meijer to buy a few things, and ended up spending $100 on a full cart.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I'll take it a step further. Website redesigns in general. They peaked just before flash and java took off. Now every single one seems to make the website progressively worse.
                Unfortunately, a lot of it is driven by what the browsers support, given they have to add support for all the bells and whistles...

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  This is why I have three rules for grocery shopping:

3. Never shop while tired.

Otherwise, I end up spending twice as much as I intended. One time, I went to Meijer to buy a few things, and ended up spending $100 on a full cart.
                  Yup -- early on in night shift mode - I went to the store for a few things and ended up with, no lie, 5 different kinds of beans.

As a general rule, I only shop the periphery. There is very little I need within the aisles (the occasional trip for rice, pasta). And always, always shop with a list. I use Google Keep with a note shared with my husband and we update it as needed since we both have the app on our phones.

Comment

These are the golden rules.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      Yup -- early on in night shift mode - I went to the store for a few things and ended up with, no lie, 5 different kinds of beans.

As a general rule, I only shop the periphery. There is very little I need within the aisles (the occasional trip for rice, pasta). And always, always shop with a list. I use Google Keep with a note shared with my husband and we update it as needed since we both have the app on our phones.
                      I do the same thing. The only things I need from the aisles are rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, and whatever I need for baking (oil, flour, sugar, chocolate, etc).
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                        As a general rule, I only shop the periphery. There is very little I need within the aisles (the occasional trip for rice, pasta).
                        This is fascinating. I've never even thought about it this way. Dr. Mrs. goes down every aisle, and doubles back, and it drives me insane.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I do the same thing. The only things I need from the aisles are rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, and whatever I need for baking (oil, flour, sugar, chocolate, etc).
                          But Mama, that's where the junk is!
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            This is fascinating. I've never even thought about it this way. Dr. Mrs. goes down every aisle, and doubles back, and it drives me insane.
                            Ah we see eye to eye. We go to the store to buy X, Y & Z. Great! X, Y, & Z are in the cart. Suddenly they are joined by A, B, & C!! WE DON'T NEED THAT THIT!!!
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post

No apps for me but def a list and a general plan for dinners. We started that when lil les was first in hockey, I had a new job and mr les was traveling to 8 states in 6 weeks. Realized we saved a boat load of money and had less waste.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              you must not have a problem with cholesterol or diabetes. This is the first thing every patient is told when they are told to eat healthy.

Comment

I'm an aisle walker, but know my budget, and once every couple weeks, I'll buy something on a whim. I generally buy the same stuff. The aisle-walking is just habit at this point.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X