Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Post pictures of you sitting on your couch in a bathrobe, eating Cheetos, and watching tv.
    Nah.

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Pure raw water

http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20...l-of-the-world
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Cool.
        Do that.
        It'll take me under a week to find patterns.
        Got any nice stuff at your place I can "pick up" when you're required to inform me you're not home but instead at the gym?

And that's why "status updates" on social media are completely stupid. "I'm having blueberry pancakes at IHOP!" ... yeah, and someone is now sure you're not home so they're going in to take whatever they want.

I guess "status updates" are my gear grinder. They are stupid, just stupid. My neighbors are of the generation that does them. I've told them they need to let me follow them so I know when they're out of town and to be suspicious of that strange car in the neighborhood.
        Perhaps we shouldn't bring up how some companies wants to deliver groceries and put them in your refrigerator...

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          This is a HUGE gear grinder. We used to get health insurance discounts with biometric screening - if you met certain numbers, you got the discount (not perfect - but, whatever).

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance. You can take challenges with your team! Share your activities! It's fun!

The brochure they mailed our suggests that we "take time for ourselves" to do this. I don't have time for this **** when I'm at work because I'm BUSY DOING MY JOB AND SUPPORTING OUR CLIENTS, so now I have to spend extra time on social media, in my free time, for this? Are you ****ing kidding? How is that healthy? If I "take time for myself", it's not in front of a phone or a computer, after I sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

Are you really at a gym if you don't take a selfie? Did you really work out if you don't post about it on social media? If it's not on your Fitbit, did you really do it? This is the worst idea they've had in a long time and it was obviously designed by someone who spends every ****ing waking hour on social media.
          THink about it- this is a perfect strategy for them. It is intrusive, inefficient and time consuming. How many people are not going to follow thru? And when they don't they can charge higher premiums because this is all to prove lower premiums are warranted. If people don't do it they can say the population risk is higher. They give all sorts of BS about how they are doing this kind of incentive to increase healthy behaviour but when you look at it, it is incredibly ineffective, labor intensive for the client and they can say they are doing something positive.
          I should ask how many points I get for improving my mental well-being and deleting my account.
          hahah!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            And here's where I'm ignorant. I don't see doctors unless I have to. If urgent care is open, I go see them. The last two times I was in ER, it was 2, 3am. Not really a choice at that point. Either drove myself or had a driver, no ambulance. Have good insurance; not the super best, but good. Basically, I go to what is minimal and what is open at the time. Is that the best option for that decision given my choices?
            If it can't wait til the AM this is the way to go. If it can wait, the best choice is to see your Primary or person following you for the dx. The ER has to practice defensive medicine- they order way more tests than a PCP would because they don't know you or your medical status. If they don't order things and you are a non-compliant SOB then they are liable if things go pear-shaped. Whether you need all that or not can be debatable. This is esp true in patients who go to ERs not connected to the lab/imaging ctrs that they usually would frequent. I can't tell you how many Chest, sinus xrays, blood tests I have seen ordered on people who just had one. The patient would come to me for follow up after going back to have labs/imaging done only to find out they didn't need it. Even more fun- the Tetanus shots that are given when the person just had one in the last few yrs (those blow up like a bugger if they are given too close).
            Last edited by leswp1; 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day.
              One more thought:
              Is this a mobile app? Or is the UI so undeveloped that you need to be at a keyboard ... sitting.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                Cool.
                Do that.
                It'll take me under a week to find patterns.
                Got any nice stuff at your place I can "pick up" when you're required to inform me you're not home but instead at the gym?

And that's why "status updates" on social media are completely stupid. "I'm having blueberry pancakes at IHOP!" ... yeah, and someone is now sure you're not home so they're going in to take whatever they want.
                What a bizarre tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  What a bizarre tangent.
                  Um ... what?
                  She has to enter a bunch of personal information online to satisfy her insurance plan. Not to startle you, but that's easily hacked and isn't (to the unscrupulous hacker) much different than a social media site. Effectively she's doing "status updates"*. And status updates are open invitations telling folks when you are and are not home.

*0800 Tuesday: Dear health plan diary, I made 10,000 steps on the stair master at the gym this morning. New record! <-- Unscrupulous guy reads: she wasn't home before 0800 for about 10k steps worth of time on Tuesdays ...
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Plus, once you get to Fifteen Million Merits you can really make your life better.
                    This is a good post.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      Um ... what?
                      She has to enter a bunch of personal information online to satisfy her insurance plan. Not to startle you, but that's easily hacked and isn't (to the unscrupulous hacker) much different than a social media site. Effectively she's doing "status updates"*. And status updates are open invitations telling folks when you are and are not home.

*0800 Tuesday: Dear health plan diary, I made 10,000 steps on the stair master at the gym this morning. New record! <-- Unscrupulous guy reads: she wasn't home before 0800 for about 10k steps worth of time on Tuesdays ...
                      You didn't comprehend me the first time so...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        You didn't comprehend me the first time so...
                        You didn't say anything of substance to comprehend the first time.

Comment

Dammit. The flame sensor on the furnace is acting up again. Might be a cold night tonight. 😕

Space heater to protect the pipes but I’m also not taking the furnace apart tonight. Sounds like it catches after about 8-10 minutes of trying. I set the house to 75 for when it finally lights again. Should carry over until morning. Did last time. I suppose I could leave the oven on lowt tonight haha
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Dammit. The flame sensor on the furnace is acting up again. Might be a cold night tonight. 😕

Space heater to protect the pipes but I’m also not taking the furnace apart tonight. Sounds like it catches after about 8-10 minutes of trying. I set the house to 75 for when it finally lights again. Should carry over until morning. Did last time. I suppose I could leave the oven on lowt tonight haha
                            F'real.....this sounds really messed up. You have a newer house, correct? This is.............wow. Godspeed, man.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              F'real.....this sounds really messed up. You have a newer house, correct? This is.............wow. Godspeed, man.
                              Doesn't matter. Appliances eff up. Sounds like he got a lemon. I'm thanking my lucky stars that our furnace keeps trucking. It's real old, but has been kept up with service. I'm betting they strongly recommend replacement this year.

Same goes for the AC. It's an old unit from the 60's. Keeps trucking like a champ. I am very adverse to replacing old things like this. They really don't make them like they used to.

At least with the AC I can keep it going. I picked up some tricks from my father. (He worked in the refrigeration business for many moons)
                              Last edited by state of hockey; 01-14-2018, 02:30 AM.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

It’s a simple sensor issue. Basically all furnaces have a sensor to make sure the flame is burning when it’s feeding gas. If there is no flame, the furnace is shut off. Prevents the furnace from filling your house with gas.

The problem is the sensor can fail to recognize that there is a flame. It’s a known issue with my furnace manufacturer. So all you have to do in most cases is pull it apart, find the sensor, and sand off the outer layer. Takes about an hour to take things apart, 30 seconds of sanding, and another hour to put it back together.

Glad I bought the big space heater.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X