Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

ANd our Plumber knows the plumbing inspector. Says this guy is being a dick. You don't need to pull a permit to fix heating pipes. He is calling 'people'
    he was looking for $$$$

m/\$$hole
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

People who use the word "accident" when they mean "mistake".

Comment

the world.

5 months 1 day after we had a pipe burst. If it could go wrong it has. Latest- the electrical inspector passed the house. THe 'home inspector' had to come inspect the insulation. He borrows the carpenters left behind ladder. Crawls up. Leaves a heap of insulation strewn on the floor. Declares everything has been done wrong. THe electrical inspector shouldn't have passed it. he rescinds it. Decides the plumber should have pulled a permit for the pipe repair (done on a Sunday at 9AM.) after the fact. Won't pass anything until the plumber pulls a permit for something that has been functioning for 5 months and then gets that inspected. Wants them to pull wall board down because he didn't see the studs before they put it up.... I could type more but you get the idea. He arrived 45 min late with a hair so far up his backside he could have coughed out a hairball like a cat. Then has the balls to tell me to have a nice day and not even say he is sorry this is happening.

What a Richard Cranium. So now instead of having our house being put together tomorrow- the plasterer, carpenter and others were to be coming- we are back to having more things ripped out.
        All the trades know what to do, if they didn't do it ? It isnt the inspectors fault . Do you have a GC?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          All the trades know what to do, if they didn't do it ? It isnt the inspectors fault . Do you have a GC?

Well the plumber called the plumbing inspector- the building inspector was full of sh1t. We don't need that permit, no permit exists for heating pipes. The Electrical thing the guy wants us to do is for commercial buildings it doesn't apply to residential buildings. The insulation he wants put in is the wrong size for the joists we have. General consensus is the guy is a jerk. He is well known to be one. He is P o'd about the way the permit was pulled so is waving his boy parts around. Apparently the plumbing inspector was going to have words....
          Last edited by leswp1; 05-08-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

If you need to be licensed to work on heating pipes, it's likely a permit has to be pulled. Especially in Mass. I assume the guy repaired frozen pipes?

Who is running all the trades? Someone should be coordinating the project?

Last edited by walrus; 05-08-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Has anyone here ever delt with alcoholism as an elephant in the room at the workplace? Obviously you have to be very, VERY careful about making accusations

Currently have a superior who is a 35+ year old man-child who talks like a 21-23 year old when it comes to drinking. He's constantly bragging about how many shots he did or beers he drank and has shown pics with timestamps from 1-2am the night before several times. This person also rarely comes in on time, especially when scheduled in the AM. It's also quite noticeable the amount of times this person will be scheduled at 7am or 8am, but will then find any way, shape, or form to get the schedule switched to say 11am or later. It's a running joke among coworkers, but as far as we know, management hasn't addressed the issue (no change in behavior).

It's one of those deals where I'd rather not open this can of worms to management myself. I do believe this guy has been hungover, but probably not "drunk" when there in the AM. His condition still effects productivity but the idea of it being the "flu" has been constantly planted and reiterated.

It's just becoming a "Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..." situations
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

HR.

If it directly affects his work, contacting HR is needed. Had a worker years ago that while not necessarily drunk (although on occasion had the leftover BAC there), it affected her work. She was finally advised to put in her two weeks, or get fired (resume status; my workplace was nice in that regard).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If you need to be licensed to work on heating pipes, it's likely a permit has to be pulled. Especially in Mass. I assume the guy repaired frozen pipes?

Who is running all the trades? Someone should be coordinating the project?

According to plumber you can install whole heating system without a license. The plumbing inspector agrees. It is only with drinking water that you need to be permitted. Honestly I have people from multiple sources- with no financial interest- saying the inspector has his head up his ***. He is also trying to require things that are not in code for any situation- specific way of insulating a pipe that is running thru ceiling well away from side of house, etc. Same with the electrical. He is requiring things that are not code in a residential building that multiple people we know working in construction have never seen outside of commercial properties. Also wants a type of insulation that will not fit in ceiling because it is too thick for the joist size.

I would have no problem if he had been polite and explained things. He was not. He walked thru the door and said we were rejected before he was close enough to see anything trhu the plastic barrier in the door, didn't ID himself, maligned the other inspector, threatened the licenses of the electrician and plumber (the latter has been in business for yrs and knows what can and can't be done without thinking), and gloated as he left. NOt one person we have talked to agrees with anything he rejected.

Comment

According to plumber you can install whole heating system without a license. The plumbing inspector agrees. It is only with drinking water that you need to be permitted. Honestly I have people from multiple sources- with no financial interest- saying the inspector has his head up his ***. He is also trying to require things that are not in code for any situation- specific way of insulating a pipe that is running thru ceiling well away from side of house, etc. Same with the electrical. He is requiring things that are not code in a residential building that multiple people we know working in construction have never seen outside of commercial properties. Also wants a type of insulation that will not fit in ceiling because it is too thick for the joist size.

I would have no problem if he had been polite and explained things. He was not. He walked thru the door and said we were rejected before he was close enough to see anything trhu the plastic barrier in the door, didn't ID himself, maligned the other inspector, threatened the licenses of the electrician and plumber (the latter has been in business for yrs and knows what can and can't be done without thinking), and gloated as he left. NOt one person we have talked to agrees with anything he rejected.
                    RED. FLAG. Start making phone calls. Now.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Has anyone here ever delt with alcoholism as an elephant in the room at the workplace? Obviously you have to be very, VERY careful about making accusations

Currently have a superior who is a 35+ year old man-child who talks like a 21-23 year old when it comes to drinking. He's constantly bragging about how many shots he did or beers he drank and has shown pics with timestamps from 1-2am the night before several times. This person also rarely comes in on time, especially when scheduled in the AM. It's also quite noticeable the amount of times this person will be scheduled at 7am or 8am, but will then find any way, shape, or form to get the schedule switched to say 11am or later. It's a running joke among coworkers, but as far as we know, management hasn't addressed the issue (no change in behavior).

It's one of those deals where I'd rather not open this can of worms to management myself. I do believe this guy has been hungover, but probably not "drunk" when there in the AM. His condition still effects productivity but the idea of it being the "flu" has been constantly planted and reiterated.

It's just becoming a "Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..." situations
                      Yes, regularly an issue in management consulting. All the team dinners and hanging out after-hours in strange cities, or worse, being alone for an on-site workshop, makes it hard for someone with a problem to stay sober. High-functioning addicts can successfully hide it for years.

Most companies have processes in place to address it when it comes to a head, but his performance will need to slip, or he'll need to be drunk while on the clock, for management to get involved. Unless he is a danger to you or your co-workers, I tend to think it's not your business to bring it up with him, or his supervisor.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Yes, regularly an issue in management consulting. All the team dinners and hanging out after-hours in strange cities, or worse, being alone for an on-site workshop, makes it hard for someone with a problem to stay sober. High-functioning addicts can successfully hide it for years.

Most companies have processes in place to address it when it comes to a head, but his performance will need to slip, or he'll need to be drunk while on the clock, for management to get involved. Unless he is a danger to you or your co-workers, I tend to think it's not your business to bring it up with him, or his supervisor.
                        Except his performance is impairing them doing their job.

Comment

You might remember a few months back I mentioned my gf is weening herself off her anti-depressants...11 days ago she took herself off completely. (she was on the lowest dose by then) I have nothing but compassion for her and I dont blame her in any way but GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST THIS IS INSANITY!! I mean I grew up with a family like this so I can deal better than most but the withdrawal is just nuts! I know people who had an easier time kicking heroin...

I could vent more but its not my cross to bear. I just hope things even out for her soon this is torture for her.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            You might remember a few months back I mentioned my gf is weening herself off her anti-depressants...11 days ago she took herself off completely. (she was on the lowest dose by then) I have nothing but compassion for her and I dont blame her in any way but GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST THIS IS INSANITY!! I mean I grew up with a family like this so I can deal better than most but the withdrawal is just nuts! I know people who had an easier time kicking heroin...

I could vent more but its not my cross to bear. I just hope things even out for her soon this is torture for her.
                            Dude, with you and her all the way. If you need to vent, do it. I'm giving you my ear, man.

Comment

Les, Code enforcement folks can have a God complex . I've been in business many years and I have to deal with electrical inspectors. I've had to fix things I thought were correct but weren't according to inspector. But the inspector had to show me the code. Its has to be written and accepted by town or state. One other thing inspectors are referred to in code books as AHJ, authority having jurisdiction. He can make life a pain in the ***.

Last edited by walrus; 05-09-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Les, Code enforcement folks can have a God complex . I've been in business many years and I have to deal with electrical inspectors. I've had to fix things I thought were correct but weren't according to inspector. But the inspector had to show me the code. Its has to be written and accepted by town or state. One other thing inspectors are referred to in code books as AHJ, authority having jurisdiction. He can make life a pain in the ***.

He is working at it. He is coming today and is requiring the Contractor guy to be here when he is. (he is not supposed to be able to do that). The guy has someone coming to his house to fix an appliance at what should have been when he was home. We all know the inspector will show up way late because he is being an RC. I also had plans for this afternoon but now I can't do them either. I would ask for him to show me code but honestly he is such an a55 I would be afraid of what he would do next. Even if he is proven wrong he can still gum up the works while we prove it. The contractor so far has decided to do what ever he asks, even if it is totally stupid and ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X