Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    This is a HUGE gear grinder. We used to get health insurance discounts with biometric screening - if you met certain numbers, you got the discount (not perfect - but, whatever).

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance. You can take challenges with your team! Share your activities! It's fun!

The brochure they mailed our suggests that we "take time for ourselves" to do this. I don't have time for this **** when I'm at work because I'm BUSY DOING MY JOB AND SUPPORTING OUR CLIENTS, so now I have to spend extra time on social media, in my free time, for this? Are you ****ing kidding? How is that healthy? If I "take time for myself", it's not in front of a phone or a computer, after I sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

Are you really at a gym if you don't take a selfie? Did you really work out if you don't post about it on social media? If it's not on your Fitbit, did you really do it? This is the worst idea they've had in a long time and it was obviously designed by someone who spends every ****ing waking hour on social media.
    This is doing wonders for your blood pressure.

Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

This is a HUGE gear grinder. We used to get health insurance discounts with biometric screening - if you met certain numbers, you got the discount (not perfect - but, whatever).

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance

Are you really at a gym if you don't take a selfie? Did you really work out if you don't post about it on social media? If it's not on your Fitbit, did you really do it? This is the worst idea they've had in a long time and it was obviously designed by someone who spends every ****ing waking hour on social media.
    My inference is that the insurance company has outsourced the work to some 3rd-party service provider and so the requirements are set up for the convenience of said service provider. They want you to upload Fitbit records to their website for economies of scale on their end; they can run some database program fairly inexpensively and provide reports to the insurance company.

Our insurance isn't quite that intrusive but we do have to prove that we comply with certain testing and screening requirements each year or else the premium gets jacked up. The 3rd-party service provider doesn't really do much work; it is on us to provide all the required documentation to them.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    This is a lot of companiesí plans now.
    Plus, once you get to Fifteen Million Merits you can really make your life better.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    This is doing wonders for your blood pressure.
    I should ask how many points I get for improving my mental well-being and deleting my account.

I should ask how many points I get for improving my mental well-being and deleting my account.
    Post pictures of you sitting on your couch in a bathrobe, eating Cheetos, and watching tv.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Post pictures of you sitting on your couch in a bathrobe, eating Cheetos, and watching tv.
    Nah.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Cool.
    Do that.
    It'll take me under a week to find patterns.
    Got any nice stuff at your place I can "pick up" when you're required to inform me you're not home but instead at the gym?

And that's why "status updates" on social media are completely stupid. "I'm having blueberry pancakes at IHOP!" ... yeah, and someone is now sure you're not home so they're going in to take whatever they want.

I guess "status updates" are my gear grinder. They are stupid, just stupid. My neighbors are of the generation that does them. I've told them they need to let me follow them so I know when they're out of town and to be suspicious of that strange car in the neighborhood.
    Perhaps we shouldn't bring up how some companies wants to deliver groceries and put them in your refrigerator...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance. You can take challenges with your team! Share your activities! It's fun!

The brochure they mailed our suggests that we "take time for ourselves" to do this. I don't have time for this **** when I'm at work because I'm BUSY DOING MY JOB AND SUPPORTING OUR CLIENTS, so now I have to spend extra time on social media, in my free time, for this? Are you ****ing kidding? How is that healthy? If I "take time for myself", it's not in front of a phone or a computer, after I sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

THink about it- this is a perfect strategy for them. It is intrusive, inefficient and time consuming. How many people are not going to follow thru? And when they don't they can charge higher premiums because this is all to prove lower premiums are warranted. If people don't do it they can say the population risk is higher. They give all sorts of BS about how they are doing this kind of incentive to increase healthy behaviour but when you look at it, it is incredibly ineffective, labor intensive for the client and they can say they are doing something positive.
    hahah!

And here's where I'm ignorant. I don't see doctors unless I have to. If urgent care is open, I go see them. The last two times I was in ER, it was 2, 3am. Not really a choice at that point. Either drove myself or had a driver, no ambulance. Have good insurance; not the super best, but good. Basically, I go to what is minimal and what is open at the time. Is that the best option for that decision given my choices?
    If it can't wait til the AM this is the way to go. If it can wait, the best choice is to see your Primary or person following you for the dx. The ER has to practice defensive medicine- they order way more tests than a PCP would because they don't know you or your medical status. If they don't order things and you are a non-compliant SOB then they are liable if things go pear-shaped. Whether you need all that or not can be debatable. This is esp true in patients who go to ERs not connected to the lab/imaging ctrs that they usually would frequent. I can't tell you how many Chest, sinus xrays, blood tests I have seen ordered on people who just had one. The patient would come to me for follow up after going back to have labs/imaging done only to find out they didn't need it. Even more fun- the Tetanus shots that are given when the person just had one in the last few yrs (those blow up like a bugger if they are given too close).
    Last edited by leswp1; 01-11-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Kicizapi Cetan

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day.
    One more thought:
    Is this a mobile app? Or is the UI so undeveloped that you need to be at a keyboard ... sitting.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Cool.
    Do that.
    It'll take me under a week to find patterns.
    Got any nice stuff at your place I can "pick up" when you're required to inform me you're not home but instead at the gym?

And that's why "status updates" on social media are completely stupid. "I'm having blueberry pancakes at IHOP!" ... yeah, and someone is now sure you're not home so they're going in to take whatever they want.
    What a bizarre tangent.

Kicizapi Cetan

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    What a bizarre tangent.
    Um ... what?
    She has to enter a bunch of personal information online to satisfy her insurance plan. Not to startle you, but that's easily hacked and isn't (to the unscrupulous hacker) much different than a social media site. Effectively she's doing "status updates"*. And status updates are open invitations telling folks when you are and are not home.

*0800 Tuesday: Dear health plan diary, I made 10,000 steps on the stair master at the gym this morning. New record! <-- Unscrupulous guy reads: she wasn't home before 0800 for about 10k steps worth of time on Tuesdays ...
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Plus, once you get to Fifteen Million Merits you can really make your life better.
    This is a good post.

Um ... what?
    She has to enter a bunch of personal information online to satisfy her insurance plan. Not to startle you, but that's easily hacked and isn't (to the unscrupulous hacker) much different than a social media site. Effectively she's doing "status updates"*. And status updates are open invitations telling folks when you are and are not home.

*0800 Tuesday: Dear health plan diary, I made 10,000 steps on the stair master at the gym this morning. New record! <-- Unscrupulous guy reads: she wasn't home before 0800 for about 10k steps worth of time on Tuesdays ...
    You didn't comprehend me the first time so...

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    You didn't comprehend me the first time so...
    You didn't say anything of substance to comprehend the first time.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Lucia Apologist

Dammit. The flame sensor on the furnace is acting up again. Might be a cold night tonight. 😕

Space heater to protect the pipes but Iím also not taking the furnace apart tonight. Sounds like it catches after about 8-10 minutes of trying. I set the house to 75 for when it finally lights again. Should carry over until morning. Did last time. I suppose I could leave the oven on lowt tonight haha

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Dammit. The flame sensor on the furnace is acting up again. Might be a cold night tonight. 😕

Space heater to protect the pipes but Iím also not taking the furnace apart tonight. Sounds like it catches after about 8-10 minutes of trying. I set the house to 75 for when it finally lights again. Should carry over until morning. Did last time. I suppose I could leave the oven on lowt tonight haha
    F'real.....this sounds really messed up. You have a newer house, correct? This is.............wow. Godspeed, man.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

He fixes the cable?
    F'real.....this sounds really messed up. You have a newer house, correct? This is.............wow. Godspeed, man.
    Doesn't matter. Appliances eff up. Sounds like he got a lemon. I'm thanking my lucky stars that our furnace keeps trucking. It's real old, but has been kept up with service. I'm betting they strongly recommend replacement this year.

Same goes for the AC. It's an old unit from the 60's. Keeps trucking like a champ. I am very adverse to replacing old things like this. They really don't make them like they used to.

At least with the AC I can keep it going. I picked up some tricks from my father. (He worked in the refrigeration business for many moons)
    Last edited by state of hockey; 01-14-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Lucia Apologist

Itís a simple sensor issue. Basically all furnaces have a sensor to make sure the flame is burning when itís feeding gas. If there is no flame, the furnace is shut off. Prevents the furnace from filling your house with gas.

The problem is the sensor can fail to recognize that there is a flame. Itís a known issue with my furnace manufacturer. So all you have to do in most cases is pull it apart, find the sensor, and sand off the outer layer. Takes about an hour to take things apart, 30 seconds of sanding, and another hour to put it back together.

Glad I bought the big space heater.

Thread Information