Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Lights in Bangkok have timers counting down in big red blocks over the intersections
    I just assumed those were for the b girls.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Lights in Bangkok have timers counting down in big red blocks over the intersections
      They have them in India too. When the countdown gets to 5 seconds to green, everyone goes, and it is even more chaotic than regular India driving.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        They have them in India too. When the countdown gets to 5 seconds to green, everyone goes, and it is even more chaotic than regular India driving.
        Who needs signals?
        Last edited by Kepler; 05-14-2018, 09:34 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

They have them here in PH and it's about the only traffic law/sign anyone pays attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            That'd never work in Minnesota.

Those Minnesota-nice drivers would all stop for each other just like they seem to have a "brake race" to the end of interstate ramps and then both (one on ramp, one on freeway) stop to let the other go.

I'd be epic gridlock.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Fargo, ND, has the other problem right now:

Green: go.
              Red: stop.
              Yellow: go like < bleep >! "As long as the front bumper is over the stop bar before red you're good, right?" seems to be that city's new mantra. If I'm in Fargo it's green, look, look, look, wait, then go.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Colorado:

Green: Count two Mississippis before you go - odds are someone's storming through the intersection.
                Yellow: Still got plenty of time, relax.
                Red: 3 or 4 more cars, hurry!
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  Colorado:

Green: Count two Mississippis before you go - odds are someone's storming through the intersection.
                  In driver's ed, and perhaps even state law here, is that you're supposed to wait for two seconds after the light turns green before proceeding through the intersection. That's not how most people drive, but it's what I was taught back in 1993.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Only problem with doing that is the light has to be on a strict timer. With the intersections that have regular crosswalks you can get away with that, but many suburban areas use signal triggers especially during off-peak times, so it'd be impossible to do something like a timer.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      In driver's ed, and perhaps even state law here, is that you're supposed to wait for two seconds after the light turns green before proceeding through the intersection. That's not how most people drive, but it's what I was taught back in 1993.
                      Buffalo NY used to have three second double reds to account for this situation, although they recently got rid of that...

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Most modern traffic lights have at least a second or two delay built in when lights switch.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Most modern traffic lights have at least a second or two delay built in when lights switch.
                          "Built in" as in specialty controller, or written into the code by the person who programmed the lights.

I've looked into a few traffic control boxes and seen quite a few standard (Allen-Bradley, et al) PLCs. Those wouldn't have such a delay (except via the ladder logic, i.e. the code).

And, many traffic lights are installed by the "heavy commercial" or "light industrial" group of a local electrical firm and then are programmed by that electrical shop's in-house "PLC guy*" who is normally the electrician who knows how to use a keyboard and doesn't think about code, state machines and logic, or real-time programming.

Some larger cities probably have their own in-house PLC programmer (for traffic, for lift station, etc), or contract out to a local controls and automation firm, but again it's how that coder codes the code unless the city has a very specific spec.

*Apologies for lack of gender neutrality.
                          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-14-2018, 04:57 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            Colorado:

That is totally Illinois, except if you don't go immediately on green, you hear a symphony of car horns.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

EMAIL Exchange #1:
                              GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi, I need you to provide me [information] on your applications and databases you support for my group, Group XYZ?
                              ME: Hi [GUY]. I'm sorry by my team doesn't support any XYZ applications. I think you have the wrong support team.

EMAIL Exchange #2:
                              GUY WITH AN ISSUE: I know you support these things, because you just supported them last month.
                              ME: Sorry, I think you're mistaken. Please see the attached workbook, that is a complete list of the applications and databases we support. Group XYZ is only listed on their once, but I don't think that's what you're requesting.

EMAIL Exchange #3:
                              GUY WITH AN ISSUE: No, you're wrong. You support us. We've had support from your team.
                              ME: Are you perhaps thinking of the [.NET Dev team] or the [Other app support team]? We only support the applications on the list I sent you.

EMAIL Exchange #3:
                              GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi [St. Clown's boss's boss], I know your [sic] familiar with this, your group supports it. [Paraphrasing]: Your cretins in the support team are telling me they don't support my things.

Then my boss's boss comes back to... Actually, we do support them. They don't get much action, but we do bill for them even though they're not on your list. Great.

Annual survey, "Do you have the tools to perform your job well?" Fick no!
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                EMAIL Exchange #1:
                                GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi, I need you to provide me [information] on your applications and databases you support for my group, Group XYZ?
                                ME: Hi [GUY]. I'm sorry by my team doesn't support any XYZ applications. I think you have the wrong support team.

EMAIL Exchange #2:
                                GUY WITH AN ISSUE: I know you support these things, because you just supported them last month.
                                ME: Sorry, I think you're mistaken. Please see the attached workbook, that is a complete list of the applications and databases we support. Group XYZ is only listed on their once, but I don't think that's what you're requesting.

EMAIL Exchange #3:
                                GUY WITH AN ISSUE: No, you're wrong. You support us. We've had support from your team.
                                ME: Are you perhaps thinking of the [.NET Dev team] or the [Other app support team]? We only support the applications on the list I sent you.

EMAIL Exchange #3:
                                GUY WITH AN ISSUE: Hi [St. Clown's boss's boss], I know your [sic] familiar with this, your group supports it. [Paraphrasing]: Your cretins in the support team are telling me they don't support my things.

Then my boss's boss comes back to... Actually, we do support them. They don't get much action, but we do bill for them even though they're not on your list. Great.

Annual survey, "Do you have the tools to perform your job well?" Fick no!
                                And now GUY WITH AN ISSUE thinks you're a lazy, incompetent, hack.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X