Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

My mailman hits my neighborhood pretty late in the day.

During the holiday season I've seen him at the mailboxes as late as 6:30 PM. Didn't know USPS worked that late.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: No One Had The Guts...Until Now!

Man, it's too bad we don't have physical locations in this country where you could just go and buy stuff and take it home without any damage to it and take delivery of it that very day and wouldn't have to worry about it arriving late or someone stealing it off your front step! That would be cool! Someone should try something like that.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Man, it's too bad we don't have physical locations in this country where you could just go and buy stuff and take it home without any damage to it and take delivery of it that very day and wouldn't have to worry about it arriving late or someone stealing it off your front step! That would be cool! Someone should try something like that.
    Maybe if physical stores had 1/10th the inventory, I'd shop there. But try getting high end gaming computer parts at Best Buy or inline speed skate bearings at Dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    My mailman hits my neighborhood pretty late in the day.

During the holiday season I've seen him at the mailboxes as late as 6:30 PM. Didn't know USPS worked that late.
    Oooovvvvveeerrrrrtiiiimmmmmeeeee

Lucia Apologist

Iíve had UPS deliver as late as 9:30 pm.

Never had an issue with anyone but fedex. They will hold your package until itís actially due. UPS delivers early.

USPS just has a garbage tracking system so I donít prefer them.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Maybe if physical stores had 1/10th the inventory, I'd shop there. But try getting high end gaming computer parts at Best Buy or inline speed skate bearings at Dicks.
    Try buying anything at a store anymore. I understand the attraction of sitting on your couch, phone in hand, ordering your heart's desire to be delivered to your front door without ever changing out of your zubaz. But if that's the world you want, you don't get to complain when it shows up later than you expected, is stolen during your nap, or has some damage incurred during shipping.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Try buying anything at a store anymore. I understand the attraction of sitting on your couch, phone in hand, ordering your heart's desire to be delivered to your front door without ever changing out of your zubaz. But if that's the world you want, you don't get to complain when it shows up later than you expected, is stolen during your nap, or has some damage incurred during shipping.
    Old man yells at cloud. See it tonight on the 6 o'clock news.

Lucia Apologist

We have a local store that is fantastic for high-end computer parts. MicroCenter. I've always tried to buy local when repairing my computer or upgrading. When I build my HTPC eventually, I'll probably get most of it through them. If all else fails, obviously NewEgg.

Old man yells at cloud. See it tonight on the 6 o'clock news.
    A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++ speedy delivery would buy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    We have a local store that is fantastic for high-end computer parts. MicroCenter. I've always tried to buy local when repairing my computer or upgrading. When I build my HTPC eventually, I'll probably get most of it through them. If all else fails, obviously NewEgg.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++ speedy delivery would buy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, no microcenter or Fry's here. I did buy a few things at microcenter last time I drove through the Twin cities on my way back from Duluth.

The best part about hovey's rant is that online shopping helps rural areas way more than us urban youngsters. If the stuff available at the store, I buy it at the store. And guess what, cities have way more shopping options than BFE, Wyoming. But there are tons of specialty items that are only available online.
    Last edited by unofan; 01-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Amazon was a bit rough in the early days but I haven't had anything ship damaged from them in years, and my god the packaging is hyper protected and secure. I'm sure it's environmentally devastating but the important thing is I got my copy of W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism next day one click.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Amazon was a bit rough in the early days but I haven't had anything ship damaged from them in years, and my god the packaging is hyper protected and secure. I'm sure it's environmentally devastating but the important thing is I got my copy of W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism next day one click.
    Don't order a CD through Amazon as the direct retailer. Those things get cracked and scratched as though that's the intent of the person who bought them. (Not all music is/was MP3 licensed through Amazon.)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Never had issues with CDs. A couple DVD cases were damaged (that inner ring thing that secured the DVD inside the actual package) but that's it.

And UPS (and FedEx) is very sophisticated, even though it doesn't make sense sometimes. For example, if you ship a Next Day Air from MPLS to say, Fargo, it most likely goes to some huge arse airport like O'Hare then gets shipped back to the destination. It's all hub-and-spoke, period.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Never had issues with CDs. A couple DVD cases were damaged (that inner ring thing that secured the DVD inside the actual package) but that's it.

And UPS (and FedEx) is very sophisticated, even though it doesn't make sense sometimes. For example, if you ship a Next Day Air from MPLS to say, Fargo, it most likely goes to some huge arse airport like O'Hare then gets shipped back to the destination. It's all hub-and-spoke, period.
    Louisville. Almost everything goes to SDF, the only exception being some West Coast stuff goes to Ontario.

Worldport in Louisville is *ing massive.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iíve had UPS deliver as late as 9:30 pm.
    If it goes on the truck, the driver must make a delivery attempt on the package. Doesnít matter if itís 9:30 am or pm.

UPS Worldport is indeed a monster. It dwarfs the passenger terminal at SDF.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    If it goes on the truck, the driver must make a delivery attempt on the package. Doesnít matter if itís 9:30 am or pm.
    *drivesby*
    *enters: didn't see lights on, no cars either*
    *keeps driving*

And thanks on the airport info. From a logistics standpoint, it makes sense, given their system. From a common sense standpoint, it's odd.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Amazon is the worst packager for shipping period. Not enough padding, stuff placed against the side of the box, stuff placed sideways to arrows etc. My work as a damage clerk at UPS is like 85% Amazon.

Target sucks too.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    UPS Worldport is indeed a monster. It dwarfs the passenger terminal at SDF.
    The Airport diagram is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Amazon is the worst packager for shipping period. Not enough padding, stuff placed against the side of the box, stuff placed sideways to arrows etc. My work as a damage clerk at UPS is like 85% Amazon.

Target sucks too.
    The arrows are just a suggestion in any company.

And of course "Fragile" means "let's see if we can beat the world shotput record when loading the truck!"

*drivesby*
    *enters: didn't see lights on, no cars either*
    *keeps driving*
    *Not In 1*

And thanks on the airport info. From a logistics standpoint, it makes sense, given their system. From a common sense standpoint, it's odd.
    Easier to just bring everything into one place and sort there.

Thread Information