Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    95% of my work has been in healthcare, but yes...I have been very fortunate
    Not to mention getting to work in such exotic locations as Jacksonville and Pittsburgh
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Not to mention getting to work in such exotic locations as Jacksonville and Pittsburgh
      Omg don't get me started on those ****holes

Comment

Omg don't get me started on those ****holes
        A comment like that reinforces my decision to NOT look into a promotion that involved Jacksonville.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          A comment like that reinforces my decision to NOT look into a promotion that involved Jacksonville.
          Oh god, never Jacksonville. Just never.

Comment

Oh god, never Jacksonville. Just never.
            It helps I hate FLA's weather to begin with....
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

It helps I hate FLA's weather to begin with....
              All of Florida sucks, but go anywhere else before Jacksonville. Really.

Comment

I decided long ago, the only place I'm going (if anywhere) is CO. I've been offered/hinted at/groomed to be in northern CA, JAX, SC, CHI, a slight hint at NJ....and nope to all of them. Big nopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I decided long ago, the only place I'm going (if anywhere) is CO. I've been offered/hinted at/groomed to be in northern CA, JAX, SC, CHI, a slight hint at NJ....and nope to all of them. Big nopes.
                  Go:

- Alaska (would love to do it again, possibly "endgame" there and retire)
                  - New Hampshire/Vermont (beautiful, not too expensive, live and let live politics, another "endgame" candidate)
                  - New Mexico (need to get down there dammit)
                  - Minneapolis (#1 on my "big city" list)
                  - Colorado (beautiful, strong economy, common sense seems to prevail on both sides of the political aisle, might be getting a bit expensive though)
                  - Urban areas of Texas (Austin, maybe Dallas, yeah it's conservative but not THAT kind of conservative...overly so, anyway)
                  - Urban areas of North Carolina (Raleigh/Durham, strong STEM-based economy)
                  - Parts of Michigan that have recovered (Grand Rapids, nicer suburbs of Detroit, maaaaybe Ann Arbor)
                  - Montana (another possible "endgame" candidate, but the right-wing wackiness is starting to scare me)

No:

- California (too expensive)
                  - New York (ditto)
                  - DC (ditto)
                  - Massachusetts (dittah)
                  - Florida (too hot)
                  - Arizona ("but it's a dry heat" is a bald faced lie)
                  - Deep South (cue Dueling Banjos)
                  - Kansas (fun is illegal there)
                  - Hawaii (strange, I know, but I've heard they do not take kindly to outsiders there)
                  Last edited by Twitch Boy; 11-02-2017, 11:44 PM.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I am laughing my arse off right now.

Comment

Brent

NJ is one of the most highly taxed states in the Union. Having grown up there, it's a great place (in parts) but pick where you live that won't take 1/4 -> 1/3 of your take home pay in property taxes.

Also, housing prices are not cheap. Mass transit leads to Newark, NYC, Trenton, or Philly. You pay to leave the state, but it is free to enter.

They have HS hockey, though the over proliferation of pay to play Junior leagues / teams has hurt the product.

They're about to elect a democrat governor. Hold on to your wallet as this guy seems to be a Corzine clone.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        However, I am an Air Ramper and all they care about for us is the plane leaving on schedule.
                        Just had a couple guys leave to dispatch for your company...sounds like missing "sort" is grounds for a public flogging.

Slightly more liberal fuel policy than us.

As a consultant I was one staffed at ups airlines in Memphis. Boy did I learn a lot about ACARS...also leaned to feel a huge rage whenever I see a ups truck
                        Great little communication tool....
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Better than Sheboygan, Grand Forks, Fargo, Aurora (SD), Wausau, Weatherford (OK).
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Better than Sheboygan, Grand Forks, Fargo, Aurora (SD), Wausau, Weatherford (OK).
                            Alice Springs laughs at all of you.

Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              - California (too expensive)
                              - New York (ditto)
                              - DC (ditto)
                              You get what you pay for.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                NJ is one of the most highly taxed states in the Union. Having grown up there, it's a great place (in parts) but pick where you live that won't take 1/4 -> 1/3 of your take home pay in property taxes.
                                Meh. Commuting to the city also means you make 250% more than you would in Cottonhead, Kansas, so it more than balances out.

Population density is Nielsen ratings. People vote with their feet.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X