Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If US sports channels have a Spanish language secondary audio channel, how come Spanish language sports channels (ie Univision) don't have an English language alternative?
    This is the equivalent of asking, "Why doesn't BET have a one-hour show dedicated to white people?"

C'mon Joe, I defended you from MaizeRage's usual ad-hom shtick a bit earlier. I know you think you're on a roll tonight, but you keep falling flat. What gives?

Comment

If US sports channels have a Spanish language secondary audio channel, how come Spanish language sports channels (ie Univision) don't have an English language alternative?
      Because people that speak english don't want to watch that trash?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        This is the equivalent of asking, "Why doesn't BET have a one-hour show dedicated to white people?"

C'mon Joe, I defended you from MaizeRage's usual ad-hom shtick a bit earlier. I know you think you're on a roll tonight, but you keep falling flat. What gives?
        I'm watching soccer on Univision Deportes. Plus we have a renovation going on at Chez Joe, my youngest and his family moved in with us while they're in between houses and a large tree took out the back left corner of our fence.

On top of that, my sister keeps messenging me with pictures of 2' of snow. One pic is enough.

Oh, grandkid #6 (due in July) is a boy. #5, due in a month, will be a surprise. If the track record holds, it will be boys 6, girls 0.

But that's what makes life fun. Family - you can't beat 'em.

Now, I have to go down in the basement and check out my eraser stockpile.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Soccer?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Not true, pretty racist.

Toronto - Tigres joe?
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Not true, pretty racist.

Toronto - Tigres joe?
              yep (¡sí!)

This got interesting with the penalty in the 93'. Fortunately, TFC has the extra away goal.
              Last edited by joecct; 03-13-2018, 11:04 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Not true, pretty racist.

Toronto - Tigres joe?
                Not totally far from the truth. The US has a ton of immigrants of soccer countries. That is why the soccer viewership is up. The US has been touting soccer since the 70s. No go, really, for growth. Even now, most of the population doesn't care about soccer. Very much like college hockey. It's very regional, and yes, race also counts into that. To simplify it to a race thing is a rash thing to do.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Not totally far from the truth. The US has a ton of immigrants of soccer countries. That is why the soccer viewership is up. The US has been touting soccer since the 70s. No go, really, for growth. Even now, most of the population doesn't care about soccer. Very much like college hockey. It's very regional, and yes, race also counts into that. To simplify it to a race thing is a rash thing to do.
                  No it's pretty racist. Univision has English SAP precisely for gringos like me and joe who want to watch soccer. To assume that the only watchers of Univision are Hispanics who don't want English is pretty * racist.

Fun fact, the highest rated network for MLS (a very very gringo league) broadcasts? Univision Deportes.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

yep (¡sí!)

This got interesting with the penalty in the 93'. Fortunately, TFC has the extra away goal.
                    The Mexican press and r/ligamx is gonna be a fun read. Seattle - Chivas tomorrow for MLS to go 3 for 3.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

No it's pretty racist. Univision has English SAP precisely for gringos like me and joe who want to watch soccer. To assume that the only watchers of Univision are Hispanics who don't want English is pretty * racist.

Fun fact, the highest rated network for MLS (a very very gringo league) broadcasts? Univision Deportes.
                      Who said anything about only Hispanics in bbdl's comment. He was railing against soccer in general (believe me, I know him well), and given that soccer is STILL generally a foreign sport to this country, compared to the "Big Four," he is correct (although not politically) to say that anyone who speaks English (as a primary language) does NOT want to see this sport as a mainstream sport.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that happening, it's just the truth. Look at the ratings. It'd be the same as if you said people outside of the midwest and New England probably don't want to watch college hockey (areas that are predominantly white). It's just the truth.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Who said anything about only Hispanics in bbdl's comment. He was railing against soccer in general (believe me, I know him well), and given that soccer is STILL generally a foreign sport to this country, compared to the "Big Four," he is correct (although not politically) to say that anyone who speaks English (as a primary language) does NOT want to see this sport as a mainstream sport.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that happening, it's just the truth. Look at the ratings. It'd be the same as if you said people outside of the midwest and New England probably don't want to watch college hockey (areas that are predominantly white). It's just the truth.
                        Except joe didn't mention soccer in his post:
                        And yes, plenty of white people watch soccer, so you're barking up the wrong tree Brent.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Except joe didn't mention soccer in his post:

And yes, plenty of white people watch soccer, so you're barking up the wrong tree Brent.
                          BBDL mentioned it, which is what you were referring to in your response about it being racist.

Comment

Comment

Gonna stop now, folks. This Hawking thing hit me a bit harder than I thought, and I just don't wanna post anymore tonight.

Comment

BBDL mentioned it, which is what you were referring to in your response about it being racist.
                                No he didn't:
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X