Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    It’s a simple sensor issue. Basically all furnaces have a sensor to make sure the flame is burning when it’s feeding gas. If there is no flame, the furnace is shut off. Prevents the furnace from filling your house with gas.

The problem is the sensor can fail to recognize that there is a flame. It’s a known issue with my furnace manufacturer. So all you have to do in most cases is pull it apart, find the sensor, and sand off the outer layer. Takes about an hour to take things apart, 30 seconds of sanding, and another hour to put it back together.

Glad I bought the big space heater.
    My furnace quit a few months ago. I was about to call someone out when I remembered I’ve been paying centerpoint for their basic repair plan. Hey came out next day and guy said a wire came loose inside. No charge, which was nice.
    But it was in the 50s when mine went out.

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Doesn't matter. Appliances eff up. Sounds like he got a lemon. I'm thanking my lucky stars that our furnace keeps trucking. It's real old, but has been kept up with service. I'm betting they strongly recommend replacement this year.

Same goes for the AC. It's an old unit from the 60's. Keeps trucking like a champ. I am very adverse to replacing old things like this. They really don't make them like they used to.

At least with the AC I can keep it going. I picked up some tricks from my father. (He worked in the refrigeration business for many moons)
      That's what I was saying. If it was something older, ok that happens. Newer, I wouldn't expect it to conk out that quickly.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Newer, I wouldn't expect it to conk out that quickly.
        Nothing is built to last anymore...
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

That's what I was saying. If it was something older, ok that happens. Newer, I wouldn't expect it to conk out that quickly.
          It’s a 20-year-old furnace. Maybe less. It happens. Already fixed.

The only thing I hate about this fix is that the furnace wasn’t designed with maintenance in mind. You need Donald Trump-like hands to get into where the parts are. Getting it back together is a massive pain in the ***. And hands. The hardest part is getting all the burner elements back into alignment.

I just wish my rachet set had magnetic ends. Would make putting it back together a little simpler.

Hopefully my house doesn’t blow up now. It looked like the elements were all burning and aligned correctly. 🤞

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          My furnace quit a few months ago. I was about to call someone out when I remembered I’ve been paying centerpoint for their basic repair plan. Hey came out next day and guy said a wire came loose inside. No charge, which was nice.
          But it was in the 50s when mine went out.
          I’ve looked at that kind of plan. I’m probably able to fix most small problems though. What’s your plan cost a month?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            It’s a 20-year-old furnace. Maybe less. It happens. Already fixed.

The only thing I hate about this fix is that the furnace wasn’t designed with maintenance in mind. You need Donald Trump-like hands to get into where the parts are. Getting it back together is a massive pain in the ***. And hands. The hardest part is getting all the burner elements back into alignment.

I just wish my rachet set had magnetic ends. Would make putting it back together a little simpler.

Hopefully my house doesn’t blow up now. It looked like the elements were all burning and aligned correctly. 🤞

I’ve looked at that kind of plan. I’m probably able to fix most small problems though. What’s your plan cost a month?
            I think it’s around 19. Worth it for me as I’m the opposite of an engineer.

Comment

Sensors fail on brand new stuff. Sometimes **** is designed poorly, just look at anything GM has made in the last 30 years.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Sometimes **** is designed poorly, just look at anything GM has made in the last 30 years.
                Try to change the oil filter on a Dodge Ram truck with a V10 engine. (It's why I don't drive Dodge.)
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Sensors fail on brand new stuff. Sometimes **** is designed poorly, just look at anything GM has made in the last 30 years.
                  Hahaha. #Fakenews.

*Remembers the check engine light that randomly activates and goes out on all my GM vehicles with no trouble codes tripped*

*Weeps silently*
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Try to change the oil filter on a Dodge Ram truck with a V10 engine. (It's why I don't drive Dodge.)
                    They didn't improve it on the Hemi either. I used to always change my own oil, but after doing it twice on my current truck, I was so sick of trying to get my hand up to the oil filter that I just gave in and have a mechanic do it now. Oil filter location on many vehicles is a pet peeve of mine. Stupid, stupid designs.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Hahaha. #Fakenews.

*Remembers the check engine light that randomly activates and goes out on all my GM vehicles with no trouble codes tripped*

*Weeps silently*
                      My favorite GM oopsie is the the era of GM trucks that couldn't keep both daytime running lights lit. It was like that for about 5 years. Replace the bulb, 2 days later, burnt out. You'd see many GM trucks a day driving around with 1 daytime running light.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Have to admit I'm having ha-ha-only-serious thoughts about the Camaro ZL1.

Basically a Z06 with the heat soak issue fixed, heated seats, and $20K-$40K knocked off the sticker depending on how you look at it? You'd be a fool NOT to buy one. That's the performance bargain of the millennium.

Only issue is the sight lines - drove a V6 Camaro as a rental a few years back and it was like sitting in a bunker. (Sorry, Brent.)
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          Not limited to those two brands. It's called dealerships are seeing declines in their overpriced service departments that drive the recurring revenues, so they lobby the manufacturers of the vehicles they sell to design them to be near impossible for a traditional mechanic to work on the vehicle. That way, the owner is forced to utilize the service of the dealer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Is that one of the engines where to change oil, you actually need to remove the engine mounts and hoist the engine up to get to everything?

I had a 1990 Ford Thunderbird that required double jointed-ness to get to the oil filter, because they thought it needed to be wedged behind the motor against the firewall.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              My favorite GM oopsie is the the era of GM trucks that couldn't keep both daytime running lights lit. It was like that for about 5 years. Replace the bulb, 2 days later, burnt out. You'd see many GM trucks a day driving around with 1 daytime running light.
                              Still see some of those trucks running around. I think most owners just don't use daytime running lights anymore on those year trucks.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                                Have to admit I'm having ha-ha-only-serious thoughts about the Camaro ZL1.

Basically a Z06 with the heat soak issue fixed, heated seats, and $20K-$40K knocked off the sticker depending on how you look at it? You'd be a fool NOT to buy one. That's the performance bargain of the millennium.

Only issue is the sight lines - drove a V6 Camaro as a rental a few years back and it was like sitting in a bunker. (Sorry, Brent.)
                                Some of the newer mustangs had that same problem. Horrible sight lines. My MDX has fewer and smaller blind spots.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X