Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

My UPS driver at work says they were working their drivers as much as they possibly could, because of increased holiday business; said it's getting busier every year, thanks to online ordering. Basically for the last year or two they have been playing catch-up with the newer shopping tendencies.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
      Congrats! I must have missed this!!

I feel I abandoned you on the Scrabble phone. I lost track back in September and then got a new phone and haven't installed the app. Sorry.

I felt like they were missing the mark quite a bit, but I wasn't sure if it was an Amazon issue or a UPS issue. I have had crap luck with UPS
      Oddly, the two packages I ordered were last week after Christmas.

One probably hit that blizzard in Chicago. The other two made it to "out for delivery" and didn't show until the next day.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        Oddly, the two packages I ordered were last week after Christmas.

One probably hit that blizzard in Chicago. The other two made it to "out for delivery" and didn't show until the next day.
        I had issues like that like right after Thanksgiving. Annoying as hell...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My UPS guy told me they set records for deliveries last july, more than any Christmas ever. it hasn't slowed down. It took 4 business days to get a package from Portland Maine to my house before Christmas , 120 miles away and 99% of the time its here overnight. Get used to it. UPS sent a card to my wife for a Package she ordered off Amazon Dec 18. The card arrived yesterday stating come to our storefront 25 miles away by today to get package or we are shipping it back to sender. The package has been out for delivery for weeks Their excuse is due to a storm driveway wasnt fit for delivery, I've gotten half a dozen packages for my business, pkgs from Amazon etc in the last week, somehow the guy drives in and out every time
          Last edited by walrus; 01-03-2018, 04:23 AM.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

piling on- didn't see this until after I typed this somewhere else.

Uncle les sent an Amazon pkg UPS. Outside of box pristine. Inside looks like a bomb dropped- box is ripped, open and stuff spilling out. He calls Amazon. They ship new thing and sched one time p/u of the other box. He called me to tell me I needed to be there and told me if they didn't get the box I would have to find a shipping ctr. What time are they coming? He forgot to ask.

This was over the weekend. He sent me the emailgiving UPS directions. I can't open it- it isn't my account. Call him and get it open. The direction say I must be there but no day or time. If I am not- I need to bring it to Shipping Ctr. I call them. Oh, they will pick up on the 2nd. I do not need to be there. Just repack box and leave on the porch. Great.

I put it out yesterday, early AM. . lilnsl comes in from a run asking why there are 2 boxes blocking the stairs- boxes are big and unwieldy. The replacement arrives, as does a few other pkgs. They never rang the bell. I call UPS. They check. No attempt has been made for p/u - shattering the UPS efficiency myth- why would they send 2 separate trucks? They tell me to leave it out. The box never leaves. We bring it in at 8:30 last night. This AM mr les goes down to get the paper. There is the packing slip and 2 pkgs in the mailbox. When he got home last evening they weren't in there. Grrr. I call. They need to call me back to sort things out. The guy was supposed to have rung the doorbell and looked for the package. p1ssed off. I have had to call them 3 times so far. They plugged up my mailbox with pkgs so who knows if I got all my mail (postman is passive aggressive with this). Now the stupid pkg is back on the porch, blocking the door, and who knows.

Comment

I’m guessing it is more efficient to send two. Otherwise you have packages that start to pile up in the back instead of unloading all of them. Then you have to sort through which ones are which. There are also likely different routes. I’m guessing UPS has very sophisticated routing software that optimizes this kind of thing.

It makes sense.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I’m guessing it is more efficient to send two. Otherwise you have packages that start to pile up in the back instead of unloading all of them. Then you have to sort through which ones are which. There are also likely different routes. I’m guessing UPS has very sophisticated routing software that optimizes this kind of thing.

It makes sense.
                When you look at it that way- yes it does. They were supposed to call me back in an hour. Guess that isn't happening. Sigh.

Comment

I'm laughing because people in my neighborhood biatch about USPS and praise UPS non-stop. I've never had issues with either, other than getting annoyed when a package arrives at the UPS facility in town Friday but gets transferred to USPS for final delivery, so I don't get it til Monday. Especially since the UPS facility is on my drive home, let me know and hold it there and I can pick it up itself.
                  Last edited by unofan; 01-03-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I’m guessing UPS has very sophisticated routing software that optimizes this kind of thing.
                    Well, they have some sort of route optimizer because there was some articles a few years ago about how they increased truck fuel mileage and reduced truck idle time by eliminating as many left turns as possible on routes.

As for two trucks, I've seen the USPS even do this when the routes get busier.

I had a one day delay on two Amazon orders in the last month. I just attributed it to the holidays, and them beating the expected delivery date by a day all summer. Ordered some items in August at 9:30 on a Saturday morning, they were delivered via Amazon courier Sunday at 1pm.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      I'm laughing because people in my neighborhood biatch about USPS and praise UPS non-stop. I've never had issues with either, other than getting annoyed when a package arrives at the UPS facility in town Friday but gets transferred to USPS for final delivery, so I don't get it til Monday.
                      UPS is the worst for me. It sits in either Ohio at a distribution center for a night or two, and/or in the giant regional hub here in Chicagoland for a night or two before being sent to a smaller hub near me to go out for delivery. I have *never* had anything shipped via UPS arrive on the initial scheduled date.

*Edit* I've actually wondered if I could just drive over to the Hodgkins IL hub and pick them up myself to get things two days faster.
                      Last edited by aparch; 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My mailman hits my neighborhood pretty late in the day.

During the holiday season I've seen him at the mailboxes as late as 6:30 PM. Didn't know USPS worked that late.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Man, it's too bad we don't have physical locations in this country where you could just go and buy stuff and take it home without any damage to it and take delivery of it that very day and wouldn't have to worry about it arriving late or someone stealing it off your front step! That would be cool! Someone should try something like that.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Man, it's too bad we don't have physical locations in this country where you could just go and buy stuff and take it home without any damage to it and take delivery of it that very day and wouldn't have to worry about it arriving late or someone stealing it off your front step! That would be cool! Someone should try something like that.
                            Maybe if physical stores had 1/10th the inventory, I'd shop there. But try getting high end gaming computer parts at Best Buy or inline speed skate bearings at Dicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              My mailman hits my neighborhood pretty late in the day.

During the holiday season I've seen him at the mailboxes as late as 6:30 PM. Didn't know USPS worked that late.
                              Oooovvvvveeerrrrrtiiiimmmmmeeeee
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I’ve had UPS deliver as late as 9:30 pm.

Never had an issue with anyone but fedex. They will hold your package until it’s actially due. UPS delivers early.

USPS just has a garbage tracking system so I don’t prefer them.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X