BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

I think everyone is just POed about our football team (more specifically, our lack thereof) and is going to AZZ.com to vent. Once the gridiron season is mercifully put down, most of the trolls will lighten up, I think.
    BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
      Anyone who was at the first exh.game care to give a synopsis of how some of the younger players looked?? I see Wright had a point.

I would post it over on the AZZ board, but there are too many trolls on that board that are just looking to get a rise out of hockey followers.......
      I had the chance to go. Freshmen got a lot of playing time. Wright was on the first line with McLain and Spezia and did OK. As we've discussed, goaltending won't be the weak link. Bednard looked rock solid and Dop played pretty well after giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Musser played with McDonald and looked pretty solid. Johnson showed some speed but he's not the biggest guy out there. Second period was pretty ragged, but we played well in the 1st and 3rd. Baylis was his usual "heavy" self out there but he didn't threaten to score. The ref's called a couple interference penalties ala the start of last year. Powerplay went 2 for 9 including an ENG so we could be in for a rough time. Rauhauser was in the doghouse and didn't play (Berge says he's in on Friday).

I talked to some of the Laurentin guys sitting in the stands about WMU. Their comment was their passes were crisp and sharp and always on the guys stick (implying that ours weren't). But then again Berge was playing the underclassmen to see what he had. My big worry is the powerplay. We still can't seem to throw it at the net. Pass, pass, pass, turnover. Maybe Rauhauser will be a difference maker.

Here's a writeup from The Blade (One of America's Great Newspapers). http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/839774

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
        I had the chance to go. Freshmen got a lot of playing time. Wright was on the first line with McLain and Spezia and did OK. As we've discussed, goaltending won't be the weak link. Bednard looked rock solid and Dop played pretty well after giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Musser played with McDonald and looked pretty solid. Johnson showed some speed but he's not the biggest guy out there. Second period was pretty ragged, but we played well in the 1st and 3rd. Baylis was his usual "heavy" self out there but he didn't threaten to score. The ref's called a couple interference penalties ala the start of last year. Powerplay went 2 for 9 including an ENG so we could be in for a rough time. Rauhauser was in the doghouse and didn't play (Berge says he's in on Friday).

I talked to some of the Laurentin guys sitting in the stands about WMU. Their comment was their passes were crisp and sharp and always on the guys stick (implying that ours weren't). But then again Berge was playing the underclassmen to see what he had. My big worry is the powerplay. We still can't seem to throw it at the net. Pass, pass, pass, turnover. Maybe Rauhauser will be a difference maker.
        Sounds like a BG team. Masters of keeping the puck out of the net. Unfortunately, that applies to both nets.
        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
          Sounds like a BG team. Masters of keeping the puck out of the net. Unfortunately, that applies to both nets.
          The only thing that matters is that we score more goals than we allow. By how much is inconsequential.

Also, it's a big freshman class and every one of them played. It will take a few games for them to find their place and to gel with the rest of the team. I saw a lot of good things, and I saw a lot of not so good things. Typical of a team with a lot of young players trying to prove themselves. We have another exhibition game against the best of the best. I won't be surprised if we lose but it will be an extremely good experience with no downside either way.

Comment

Tyler Masters is back in net?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              Tyler Masters is back in net?
              He was a helluva goalie when he was "on". When he wasn't, though.... He was too small to be able to block much of the net just by being there.

Comment

I think everyone is just POed about our football team (more specifically, our lack thereof) and is going to AZZ.com to vent. Once the gridiron season is mercifully put down, most of the trolls will lighten up, I think.
                Worst Falcon Football team i have seen in a long time. This coaching staff doesnt have a clue but thats what you get when you hire a guy who has never been a head coach or coordinator even at the high school level

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  Worst Falcon Football team i have seen in a long time. This coaching staff doesnt have a clue but thats what you get when you hire a guy who has never been a head coach or coordinator even at the high school level
                  Not entirely true. He was a head coach for several years at the HS level and built a bit of a dynasty there. As for taking a chance on a coach who has never been a D1 coordinator, Urban Myer was the wide receivers coach at Notre Dame when we hired him.

Now, back to hockey. The last time I looked, this was a hockey forum, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                    He was a helluva goalie when he was "on". When he wasn't, though.... He was too small to be able to block much of the net just by being there.
                    Masters faced a ton of rubber.
                    Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
                      Masters faced a ton of rubber.
                      That reminds me of a quote from the Alabama club team goaltender, who went to Twitter and said that "I saw more rubber tonight than a $5 ..." well, you know. I laughed until I cried, and then I think that I retweeted him from @weloveuahhockey.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

The team looked much better last night against the USNTDP than against Wilfrid Laurier. Because the opponent was better?

I am too inept to think about lines, but which forwards can we expect Tuesday against WMU?
                        Baylis (time to start scoring)
                        Bednard, S.
                        Craggs, L.
                        D'Andrea
                        Ford (Fr.)
                        Johnson (Fr.)
                        Kruse (Fr.)
                        Letourneau
                        McLain (dude, stay out of the box)
                        Meier
                        Schilling
                        Spezia

Defense: Dalton, McDonald, Musser (Fr.), Pohlkamp, Rauhauser, Smith
                        Go Falcons!

Comment

The team looked much better last night against the USNTDP than against Wilfrid Laurier. Because the opponent was better?

I am too inept to think about lines, but which forwards can we expect Tuesday against WMU?
                          Bednard, S.
                          Craggs, L.
                          D'Andrea
                          Ford (Fr.)
                          Johnson (Fr.)
                          Kruse (Fr.)
                          Letourneau
                          Meier
                          Schilling
                          Spezia

Baylis did a hell of a job on the penalty kill last night. Wells played great against Wilfred Lauer, but seemed to struggle a bit last night.
                          As for who will play, I'm not sure about specific games, but I'm willing to bet everybody will see game action this coming week. Exception being Rich, but that's kind of a given seeing as he didn't see any crease time in either exhibition, including warm-ups.

Comment

Bednard, S.
                            Craggs, L.
                            D'Andrea
                            Ford (Fr.)
                            Johnson (Fr.)
                            Kruse (Fr.)
                            Letourneau
                            Meier
                            Schilling
                            Spezia

I thought the line of McLain, Spezia, Kruse was more effective than McLain Spezia, Wright. The concern I have is that Kruse is not an intimidating physical presence out there (listed at 5'9" 155lb) and WMU is a large, physical team. And Wright showed some heavy feet last night.

And Baylis only had 2 penalties (one was coincidental) which is a positive. We need to stay out of the box on Tuesday.

Comment

That's always part of it. The other part is that the CIS schools are generally even older than WCHA schools and want to goon it up a bit.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                                I thought the line of McLain, Spezia, Kruse was more effective than McLain Spezia, Wright. The concern I have is that Kruse is not an intimidating physical presence out there (listed at 5'9" 155lb) and WMU is a large, physical team. And Wright showed some heavy feet last night.

And Baylis only had 2 penalties (one was coincidental) which is a positive. We need to stay out of the box on Tuesday.
                                Don't read anything from what penalties were called and what wasn't. I fully expect games from here on out will be called differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X