Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

Since the 2017-18 Roster is out today, may as well get a new thread going for this year. Hopefully this is the year we finally get over the hump and actually win some kind of title.

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2017...man-class.aspx

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.as...key&roster=240

Trying to follow the puck

Re: BGSU Falcons 2017-18 Season

I'm glad there's information on the site that's more interesting to me than who's been invited to development camps and Spezia's inline accomplishments. There's' been nothing about the arena renovations. I did appreciate the notice of Walker's pro deal--it's about time he got one!

I expected a regular-season championship last season. This coming season I don't; 3rd or 4th. We lost the two top defensemen, significant scoring, and the top goalie (c'mon, R. Bednard!). Still, even with nine freshman (seven skaters) there is some experience. Letourneau, Craggs, and Rauhauser had fine seasons as freshman, McClain and Spezia were first and third in scoring. I'm STILL waiting for Baylis to light it up. It'll be nice to have a local BG kid on the team again, but can he go straight from high school to college?

Only 59 days!
    Go Falcons!

Unworthy Admirer of Alice Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by spiehler View Post
    I'm glad there's information on the site that's more interesting to me than who's been invited to development camps and Spezia's inline accomplishments. There's' been nothing about the arena renovations. I did appreciate the notice of Walker's pro deal--it's about time he got one!
    The Sentinel-Tribune has had at least 2 videos on it. One of them has an in-depth interview with the arena manager where she explains specifically what they're doing to the floor.

Also nice to see Kevin DuFour was signed by the Brampton Beast; I'd love to see him work his way up to the Habs, especially since he's from Quebec.
    BGSU Class of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by spiehler View Post

I expected a regular-season championship last season. This coming season I don't; 3rd or 4th. We lost the two top defensemen, significant scoring, and the top goalie (c'mon, R. Bednard!). Still, even with nine freshman (seven skaters) there is some experience. Letourneau, Craggs, and Rauhauser had fine seasons as freshman, McClain and Spezia were first and third in scoring. I'm STILL waiting for Baylis to light it up. It'll be nice to have a local BG kid on the team again, but can he go straight from high school to college?

Only 59 days!
    The BG kid knows his role coming in. Stand in the net during practice to give the other two a break, and open the door for line changes.

Trying to follow the puck

Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    The BG kid knows his role coming in. Stand in the net during practice to give the other two a break, and open the door for line changes.
    He could be another Eddie Powers!
    Go Falcons!

Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    His role will be to compete like he wants to be a starter. Any player who comes into the program banking on just being the door opener won't be on the team long.

Roll along you BG Warriors!

Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    His role will be to compete like he wants to be a starter. Any player who comes into the program banking on just being the door opener won't be on the team long.
    IIRC his dad works at the university so he doesn't cost us a scholarship. He's also big in net (almost as big as Bednard) so he covers a lot of space by just simply standing there. I haven't seen him play so not sure how quick he moves or how smart he is at positioning himself. I'm intrigued by this one. Also hoping Dop is as advertised.

I don't think our biggest weakness this year is between the pipes, it's putting it in the other team's net. Just like last year. And the year before...

Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    Burke came in as a 3rd goalie and worked his way up to a starter so, yes, it can be done. It's more the exception than the norm, however.

Every team loses significant scoring at the end of each season. It gives the underclassman the chance to step up and replace them. Who expected McClain to step up and do what he did last year? He had 16 points as a sophomore and 33 as a junior! If Baylis makes that kind of a jump, we'll be fine.

Last year we lacked solid senior leadership. I believe that we will have that this year with McClain and Spezia.

On defense, IMO, Rauhauser will be a much bigger force than Friedman ever was by the end of his career here (he was nearly his equal last year). He reminds me a lot of Blake. Tall, with a very long reach, and a really nice shot. Now if he can develop his slap shot from the point...

Friedman was really, really good but never attained great. He took way too many chances. When he was on the ice the forward always had to keep an eye on him so they could cover him if he decided to take the puck in. I like a good offensive d-man, but he was more offense than defense at times and it cost us too many odd man rushes.
    Last edited by BGFan; 08-04-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    Every team loses significant scoring at the end of each season. It gives the underclassman the chance to step up and replace them. Who expected McClain to step up and do what he did last year? He had 16 points as a sophomore and 33 as a junior! If Baylis makes that kind of a jump, we'll be fine.

Last year we lacked solid senior leadership. I believe that we will have that this year with McClain and Spezia.

On defense, IMO, Rauhauser will be a much bigger force than Friedman ever was by the end of his career here (he was nearly his equal last year). He reminds me a lot of Blake. Tall, with a very long reach, and a really nice shot. Now if he can develop his slap shot from the point...

Friedman was really, really good but never attained great. He took way too many chances. When he was on the ice the forward always had to keep an eye on him so they could cover him if he decided to take the puck in. I like a good offensive d-man, but he was more offense than defense at times and it cost us too many odd man rushes.
    I agree with BGFan that the senior leadership with McClain and Spezia will be a big improvement over last year. That will be key for getting us over the hump. I am excited for the new season and it can't get here soon enough.

https://twitter.com/BGFalconHockey/s...63064395870208

Well, although I have not see anything announced.....from the pictures on their twitter account it appears that Mitch McLain is the new captain for 2017-18.

Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    https://twitter.com/BGFalconHockey/s...63064395870208

Well, although I have not see anything announced.....from the pictures on their twitter account it appears that Mitch McLain is the new captain for 2017-18.
    Twitter pic also shows Spezia with the big Charlie on his sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    Twitter pic also shows Spezia with the big Charlie on his sweater.
    Good choices!

2017-18 team photo and individual pics are up on the official BGSU site:

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

There are also some cool grouping pics up on Coach Eigner's twitter page:

https://twitter.com/TyEigner

Anyone who was at the first exh.game care to give a synopsis of how some of the younger players looked?? I see Wright had a point.

I would post it over on the AZZ board, but there are too many trolls on that board that are just looking to get a rise out of hockey followers.......

I think everyone is just POed about our football team (more specifically, our lack thereof) and is going to AZZ.com to vent. Once the gridiron season is mercifully put down, most of the trolls will lighten up, I think.
    BGSU Class of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    Anyone who was at the first exh.game care to give a synopsis of how some of the younger players looked?? I see Wright had a point.

I would post it over on the AZZ board, but there are too many trolls on that board that are just looking to get a rise out of hockey followers.......
    I had the chance to go. Freshmen got a lot of playing time. Wright was on the first line with McLain and Spezia and did OK. As we've discussed, goaltending won't be the weak link. Bednard looked rock solid and Dop played pretty well after giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Musser played with McDonald and looked pretty solid. Johnson showed some speed but he's not the biggest guy out there. Second period was pretty ragged, but we played well in the 1st and 3rd. Baylis was his usual "heavy" self out there but he didn't threaten to score. The ref's called a couple interference penalties ala the start of last year. Powerplay went 2 for 9 including an ENG so we could be in for a rough time. Rauhauser was in the doghouse and didn't play (Berge says he's in on Friday).

I talked to some of the Laurentin guys sitting in the stands about WMU. Their comment was their passes were crisp and sharp and always on the guys stick (implying that ours weren't). But then again Berge was playing the underclassmen to see what he had. My big worry is the powerplay. We still can't seem to throw it at the net. Pass, pass, pass, turnover. Maybe Rauhauser will be a difference maker.

Here's a writeup from The Blade (One of America's Great Newspapers). http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/839774

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    I had the chance to go. Freshmen got a lot of playing time. Wright was on the first line with McLain and Spezia and did OK. As we've discussed, goaltending won't be the weak link. Bednard looked rock solid and Dop played pretty well after giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Musser played with McDonald and looked pretty solid. Johnson showed some speed but he's not the biggest guy out there. Second period was pretty ragged, but we played well in the 1st and 3rd. Baylis was his usual "heavy" self out there but he didn't threaten to score. The ref's called a couple interference penalties ala the start of last year. Powerplay went 2 for 9 including an ENG so we could be in for a rough time. Rauhauser was in the doghouse and didn't play (Berge says he's in on Friday).

I talked to some of the Laurentin guys sitting in the stands about WMU. Their comment was their passes were crisp and sharp and always on the guys stick (implying that ours weren't). But then again Berge was playing the underclassmen to see what he had. My big worry is the powerplay. We still can't seem to throw it at the net. Pass, pass, pass, turnover. Maybe Rauhauser will be a difference maker.
    Sounds like a BG team. Masters of keeping the puck out of the net. Unfortunately, that applies to both nets.
    BGSU Class of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Thinker View Post
    Sounds like a BG team. Masters of keeping the puck out of the net. Unfortunately, that applies to both nets.
    The only thing that matters is that we score more goals than we allow. By how much is inconsequential.

Also, it's a big freshman class and every one of them played. It will take a few games for them to find their place and to gel with the rest of the team. I saw a lot of good things, and I saw a lot of not so good things. Typical of a team with a lot of young players trying to prove themselves. We have another exhibition game against the best of the best. I won't be surprised if we lose but it will be an extremely good experience with no downside either way.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Jeff Sauer Trophy in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Thinker View Post
    Tyler Masters is back in net?

Thread Information