Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.14 - No Confusion, It's Collusion!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    I thought he was going to be better for transgender individuals?
    To make it better, on this day in 1948 Truman desegregated the military.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.14 - No Confusion, It's Collusion!

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Better than what?

His party uses that issue to fund-raise and tub thump. As long as they include bigots in their coalition they are going to do stuff like this. Trump doesn't care about trans people either way -- Trump himself probably doesn't even understand what "trans" means any more than most other septuagenarians -- and neither do 99% of the GOP Members. They strike this pose for a certain type of voter. And if innocent people get hurt, well, they're OK with that.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sorry, I can't feel the way you do.

I have little respect for people who can't walk the walk. Do their jobs. Like Cruz, or McConnell.

But I hold a special kind of disgust for those who talk the talk, but will not follow up their words with actions. At least Susan Collins even stood up on this vote, voting against both the motion to proceed with debate, and the bill itself. McCain decries the partisanship, the process of a bill crafted in secrecy by one party. But he does nothing to change this, and in fact, with his votes to proceed with debate, and yes on the bill as written, he rewards them for acting in this manner.

All he had to do to start the path toward more bipartisanship was to vote against the motion to proceed. A vote that would hold almost no future ramifications for him. And he can't even do that.
        Last edited by rufus; 07-26-2017, 09:19 AM.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I didn't have this visceral reaction. My gripe with McCain is he's a peacock who loves the attention, and far from "country first" his political medal stand has been bronze country, silver party, gold John McCain. He's got a serious temper problem and he's not very honest, even with himself.

But. That was a great speech he gave, and the idea that a Republican would give that speech is itself a rare moment of sanity on the right. Yes, of course it was self-serving. Everything John McCain does is self-serving. But the words are still true:

I don't care who said those words or what their ulterior motive was. Those are great, true, and health-giving words.
          Fine. Then follow them up with actions. Talk is cheap.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I didn't have this visceral reaction. My gripe with McCain is he's a peacock who loves the attention, and far from "country first" his political medal stand has been bronze country, silver party, gold John McCain. He's got a serious temper problem and he's not very honest, even with himself.

But. That was a great speech he gave, and the idea that a Republican would give that speech is itself a rare moment of sanity on the right. Yes, of course it was self-serving. Everything John McCain does is self-serving. But the words are still true:

I don't care who said those words or what their ulterior motive was. Those are great, true, and health-giving words.
            He said that literally right after he was the 50th vote to screw around with the Senate rules that he "opposed", just like his speech opposing cloture on Supreme Court nominees, then voting for it. **** that man.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              All he had to do to start the path toward more bipartisanship was to vote against the motion to proceed. A vote that would hold almost no future ramifications for him. And he can't even do that.
              I understand what you are saying but in this case I'm not sure I agree. The effect of his vote was to trigger the votes on the three GOP plans: the leadership plan with the Cruz replacement which is now dead forever, straight repeal which will be dead forever by tonight, and then skinny repeal which is a ploy and where the action is on the integrity of the GOP Members. Any Member who votes for skinny repeal is a knave. So, we'll see what he does with that.

If he votes Yay on skinny repeal then yes, I absolutely agree with you, he goes down as a fink. But if he kills it then he gets credit for actually doing something. Did he do it to preen? Probably -- that's his M.O. even moreso than the average Member. But still, he will have done something. I'm sure plenty of the Founders were looking over their shoulders at their legacy when they signed the Declaration.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Point taken.
                (I'll be completely honest. As soon as I posted it, I thought I got 'wooshed'.)
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No that was Ivanka. You know she is actually a liberal right? She is going to make sure he protects Women, Gays and the Transgender
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    No that was Ivanka. You know she is actually a liberal right? She is going to make sure he protects Women, Gays and the Transgender
                    Don't forget children! I mean the ones that don't work at her factories

Comment

Sorry but McCain giving speeches means nothing especially when he acts in direct conflict with said speech within minutes of giving it. The words are hollow, he doesnt mean them and no one listening cares which is why he said it. McCain is a fraud and if he wasnt a former POW wouldnt get the leeway he gets.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        No transgender individuals allowed in the military anymore due to the "tremendous medical costs", because that is what makes the military budget bloated.
                        Florida GOP Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen has condemned the decision already. "'No American, no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be prohibited from honor + privilege of serving our nation #LGBT,' Ros-Lehtinen, who has a transgender child, tweeted."

Link

Now, the cynic in me says there isn't a chance in hell she tweets this if she didn't have a transgender child. Time will tell if other Republicans join her. I'm genuinely interested in Kasich's reaction because he's starting to become a bellwether for the moderates in the GOP.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          No, no, remember this is the new pro-LGBT...Q GOP. Remember at the convention when Trump said 50 gay people being murdered in a club was a bad thing and everyone applauded and then the new storyline was how the GOP was pro-LGBTQ now. Because they took the brave and bold don't-kill-50-people stance.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Don't forget children! I mean the ones that don't work at her factories
                            Well they arent Americans so they can just die
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Florida GOP Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen has condemned the decision already. "'No American, no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be prohibited from honor + privilege of serving our nation #LGBT,' Ros-Lehtinen, who has a transgender child, tweeted."

Link

Now, the cynic in me says there isn't a chance in hell she tweets this if she didn't have a transgender child. Time will tell if other Republicans join her. I'm genuinely interested in Kasich's reaction because he's starting to become a bellwether for the moderates in the GOP.
                              While I partially agree...remember that most of the high ranking members of the military probably dont agree with this. They were the ones that basically forced Congress to end the ridiculousness on Gays in the Military while Senator Maverick preened and gay bashed to try and keep them out.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No, no, remember this is the new pro-LGBT...Q GOP. Remember at the convention when Trump said 50 gay people being murdered in a club was a bad thing and everyone applauded and then the new storyline was how the GOP was pro-LGBTQ now. Because they took the brave and bold don't-kill-50-people stance.
                                To be fair, for them that is a brave and bold stance
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X