Brown Hockey 2017-2018: The Quest for Prosperity Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2017-2018: The Quest for Prosperity Continues

Gottlieb isn’t playing tonight. Anyone know if he’s hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Gottlieb isn’t playing tonight. Anyone know if he’s hurt?
      I believe viral. Great game tonight 4-1 win. D kept Yale offense outside, and the goalie stood on his head. Make up of the lines is strong.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Good to hear on all fronts, Euler. Item 4 has me most excited, as our system has been very dump-and-chase heavy over the past several years.
        Brown is using a 1-3-1 system, designed for defense and counterattacks.

Yale took a lot of shots but most were from the outside, and handled calmly by Nieto.

Brown needs to shoot more. There should be limits to unselfishness...

First-year Alec Mehr was a pleasant surprise. Good hockey sense, physical, and not afraid to shoot the puck.

Comment

Can’t remember the last time we won at Ingalls! It’s too bad we dropped the home game, but this team has already given us a glimmer of hope. I watched the first period last night and Gavin Nieto made some incredible saves. I’m all aboard the hype train for the kid!

We were thoroughly outshot over the weekend, which is an area in which we’ll need to improve going forward. But the good news is we were in two close games (both were within a goal, or tied, until late in the third and then empty-netters helped skew the scores) despite evidently losing the territorial battle. Last year, we’d have lost each game by four or five. This is progress and a testament to both our defense limiting quality chances and the goaltender making the saves he needs to make.

I’m also glad we’re starting this year with back-to-back weekend of Ivy opponents. It’s nice to play teams that have the same disadvantage in terms of starting late.

Comment

Nice start for the season. Was at Meehan Saturday night. D is much improved. Impressed by the play of Stillwell and Ferrario. Stillwell reminds me a lot of Jimmy Anderson. McArdle improves every game and was a solid contributor. Once Schoo and Gottlieb get back, Coach will have to make some tough decisions as to who sits. Nieto was playing with a lot of confidence. Clearly has worked with someone since the end of last year. Made some spectacular saves. One goal was a fluke - flipped over his head - and other two were tough shots, one by Snively, who is a terrific player.

Off to Dartmouth and Harvard. Be nice to see a W at Dartmouth.

BTW, attendance was awful. Officially 553, but there could not have been more than 200. No students except for a group from a fraternity who showed up. True, wins can bring more fans in, but AD must do more to promote games and attendance. Speaking of attendance, FB drew 2008! The Bear Den for students had no students. A bad team but I thought the weather would result in more fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post

BTW, attendance was awful. Officially 553, but there could not have been more than 200. No students except for a group from a fraternity who showed up. True, wins can bring more fans in, but AD must do more to promote games and attendance. Speaking of attendance, FB drew 2008! The Bear Den for students had no students. A bad team but I thought the weather would result in more fans.
              Attendance at all the major men's sports – football, basketball, hockey, soccer – has been plummeting in recent years. The lone exception is lacrosse, which has been the most successful program in recent years by a million miles. It would seem as though the only remedy is building a winner, as Providence has a stranglehold on the local basketball and hockey markets.

Football was a middle-of-the-pack Ivy team in terms of attendance as recently as five years ago, consistently beating out the likes of Dartmouth, Columbia and Cornell. Now, it is the worst in the league by a mile. Not coincidentally, the program has fallen off a cliff in that time.

Brown will never have Cornellian support for its hockey program, but we can do better than 500 against a regional Ivy rival.

Comment

Hard to get a read on Dartmouth based on their loss to Harvard. There aren't many ECAC teams who can hang with the Crimson at this point in time. They lost to Holy Cross, as well, but Holy Cross is 3-1-2 with a lone loss to Princeton, who I expect to be really good.

Seems like Friday should be a toss-up between two teams still getting their feet wet, while we shouldn't expect much of anything (unless Harvard has an emotional letdown after playing Yale on Friday) on Saturday.

Comment

A single vote in the Top Twenty poll, baby steps!
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Coming up for the Clarkson game. Where do I park and I take it walkups are not a problem?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Coming up for the Clarkson game. Where do I park and I take it walkups are not a problem?
                      Parking got a little more complicated last year when they opened a new paid lot on Brook St. This led Brown to close the faculty/staff lot a block away, which had previously been open to the public after 6 pm and was free. I'd recommend street/meter parking over on Meeting St. between Thayer St. and Brown St. (or the surrounding blocks). You can usually find a bunch of spots there and the meters shut off at 8. Meehan is a 5-minute walk or so. Food options on Thayer are generally pretty good, especially if you're looking for a quick in-and-out. Would recommend Baja's burritos, East Side Pockets, or Mike's Calzones. Kabob and Curry is great for sit-down, as is Paragon. Andreas is decent too.

Walking up will not be a problem, but I think you can save a few bucks if you buy tickets online in advance. You should also be able to sit wherever you like. Even if you happen to be in someone's seat (extremely unlikely, as all the STHs sit on one side and walkups/visiting fans sit on the other), you can likely just move a couple seats or rows over and be fine. I also recommend standing behind the nets for at least a little while. IMO, it's one of the best views of the game you can find. No obstructed angles whatsoever and you're super close to the action.

Hope you enjoy it! Meehan can be cold and desolate, but it's a funky little barn with a ton of history.

Comment

Rough start. Kania looks rattled in his first college game. Not sure why Nieto didn't get the start, given his performances last weekend.

Comment

A few quick thoughts:

-The team was sloppy, overall. Lots of turnovers, missed passes, miscommunications, losing the puck off simple stickhandles, etc.
                          -SHOOT THE PUCK. We seemed committed to passing it around the offensive zone and trying to make the complicated plays. When someone finally threw the puck at the net in the third, we scored! Make the goalie make a save. Crash the net. Hockey is a simple game.
                          -Kania wasn't awful, but he wasn't good, either. Two of the goals probably should, or at least could, have been stopped. Until proven otherwise, I don't see how Nieto isn't the default starter.
                          -Unless I missed something, we've now gone three games without Corcoran, Lafferty, or Marchin registering any points. That's not good. Those guys should be hovering around a point per game each.
                          -Harvard got run over by Yale tonight, so they'll likely be furious tomorrow. Gulp.

Comment

I noticed the same about Corcoran, Lafferty and Marchin. Marchin is real puzzle - even before his injury last year he was not scoring. Great start in his first set of games, but nothing since.

Surprised by Kania's start. While I could see Brendan thinking he wanted to give Kania some game time and thinking as well that Dartmouth would not be as tough as other teams, I was surprised that he took the risk with Brown having a real shot at beating Dartmouth with Nieto.
                            Thinking back to Yale game, I now see that apparent reluctance on the part of the team to fire away and instead look for the perfect pass. Startegy not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              I noticed the same about Corcoran, Lafferty and Marchin. Marchin is real puzzle - even before his injury last year he was not scoring. Great start in his first set of games, but nothing since.

Surprised by Kania's start. While I could see Brendan thinking he wanted to give Kania some game time and thinking as well that Dartmouth would not be as tough as other teams, I was surprised that he took the risk with Brown having a real shot at beating Dartmouth with Nieto.
                              Thinking back to Yale game, I now see that apparent reluctance on the part of the team to fire away and instead look for the perfect pass. Startegy not working.
                              Don't agree with Kania in net, I think Whittet needs to be focused on getting some wins and putting in the players that give the best chance of that. This team needs the confidence. Wins build momentum for better play.

Make the PP simpler and SHOOT the puck. Enough with the drop back pass.
                              PK is excellent.
                              D needs to SHOOT more from point, get in low, put big bodies in front of the net and clean up.
                              Marchin got a lot of his points from being in front of the net and cleaning up. Can't do that if you are taking 20 shots a game.
                              D needs to be careful about stepping up. Better to take the body, then give up the odd man rush. We gave up two rushes for goals.
                              SHOOT the puck.

If Madsen is in tonight shoot short side, but no matter what SHOOT the puck. We are trying to be too fancy and giving up the puck far too much, make it a simple game.

That being said this team is better skilled then last night's performance and will be looking for a better game tonight.

Comment

Nice valiant comeback as your boys did not quit as they found their skating legs to start the second. Kania did look a little uncomfortable and seemed to fighting the puck most of the night. I would have to agree that the Lafferty line must do more. You can see that Lafferty has the big body and skill but no results. I thought the little defensemen Stillwell was your best player last night. Good luck tonight against a fighting mad Harvard team

Comment

Working...
                                X